GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First my town declared a state of emergency, before a single case of covid occurred in town. Now I find out that the Fire Marshall and his deputy were receiving 5 hours of OT a week between March and August due to an increase in work load due to covid. It only stopped in August because FEMA hadn't yet reimbursed the town. Now the FM wants the OT to bo reinstated permanently! There has not been any accounting of what if any this additional work load entails. Is your town this corrupt?

·
Mentally Frozen
24,770 Posts
What is the increased workload for a fire marshall? They short handed?

·
Mentally Frozen
24,770 Posts
Reactions: catman71

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Five hours a week? That’s it? With some of the neighboring departments being hit hard by Covid, we had guys working 96 hours a week or more. Hell this week I’ll end up with 36 hours of OT. FEMA is a little slow in paying up, but they will get it.

When you say there is no accountability, what exactly are you referring to? Have you seen their daily inspection reports? Have you seen any of their investigation reports?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Enforcing revised occupation limits. HH
The occupation limits for the properties remain the same for the FD. The revised occupancy limits due to Covid are enforced by the health department. Or a bunch of rat fink bastards who report businesses for not following the rules.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I've been wondering what's up with the local police departments. We already had a medium sized town split up into 3 different townships each with their own police department when one department would have been plenty. But I guess that would have too cost efficient and not nearly enough administrators getting a bit of power and paycheck from the taxpayers. So we have 3 departments that are so small they all mostly call the state police on the rare occasion anything big actually happens.

Before COVID I might see one or two police vehicles a week. Lately I see 4-5 just making a 15 minute drive to the store. They used to replace one or two vehicles every couple years with a used vehicle modified for police use and each department had 2-3 unmarked vehicles. Now all of a sudden they have fleets of unmarked Explorers and various sedans. Here the local police aren't enforcing COVID restrictions.

I'm assuming they either got a lot of emergency funding or a big civil forfeiture payday.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Five hours a week? That’s it? With some of the neighboring departments being hit hard by Covid, we had guys working 96 hours a week or more. Hell this week I’ll end up with 36 hours of OT. FEMA is a little slow in paying up, but they will get it.

When you say there is no accountability, what exactly are you referring to? Have you seen their daily inspection reports? Have you seen any of their investigation reports?
1)There is no explanation as to what work the hours are being used to do
2)No reason given why it needs to be permanent
3)In the private sector you would work the extra 5 without extra pay
4)Did you read that we had no cases when the OT started

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
1)There is no explanation as to what work the hours are being used to do
2)No reason given why it needs to be permanent
3)In the private sector you would work the extra 5 without extra pay
4)Did you read that we had no cases when the OT started
It doesn’t matter if there are no cases when it started. It doesn’t matter if they have zero cases at all, you still get funding for prevention and cleaning/disinfecting equipment, stations, and apparatus. That includes personnel costs along with supplies, and education.

We had zero cases when it started too, and we were/are giving out OT for the duration. We’ve had less than 20 cases since the beginning. It’s been at least a month since we’ve had one. If they are seeking funding from FEMA for any Covid related task, they have to fill out an ICS 214 form every single day. That’s the only way to get your money back.

Again, have you personally seen any of their daily activity reports, inspection reports or investigation reports?

We’re you at a meeting where this was discussed or did someone tell you about this?

Have you spoken to the fire chief or the fire marshal and asked why they are asking for more OT?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Sounds like the FD needs to justify the need for the additional spending. It’s how it works everywhere else. If it’s warranted then there should be no issue with approving it. If it’s generating some walking around $$ for someone then not so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts