Is the Glock Knife Any Good as a Combat Knife?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DonGlock26, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Is the Glock Knife Any Good as a Combat Knife?

I'm looking for a good fix blade knife, and I thought I would ask about the Glock Knife, first. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

2. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Depends on what you want to do with it. I got mine for free for working at a GSSF match. It is a decent knife. Lots of people get them for truck or beater knives and IMO that is a great role for them.

IIRC they were made for the Austrian military, so I would think it was at least half-way capable of being a "combat knife".

Bottom line is that they are a pretty good deal for the <$30 most places want for them.

3. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

I just got one the other day. It seems like a fairly well made knife. Having said that I'm not an expert. But for the money I would definetly get one or two.:thumbsup:

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

as a sharpened crowbar. good utility knife. jam through sheet metal, cut wire, dig holes.

ugly, hard to keep really sharp, you won't break it.

alternatives: Ontario or Camillus AF Pilots Survival Knife for sturdy utility.

combat knife is a vague definition. a 10$ china clone bowie, with an edge on it, will work fine. no need for special steel.

i like the Sykes Fairbairn (original) dagger, S&W boot knives, the Case XX Bowie (is on pattern of Aussie pilots knife)

but the one i carry in the woods is the Ontario Pilots Survival Knife.

it's a hair fatter than the glock knife and a bit shorter. similar in utility and US milspec, hard to beat.

5. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

As a general issue combat knife, the Glock knife is probably more than adequate, judging from its design. I've never bought one, but have handled them and concluded that they could use a little work in th edge department. I don't know what kind of steel Glock uses, or how easy they are to sharpen. The Glock design looks to be a compromise between a dagger, a slashing knife, a prybar, and a can opener; and is probably most useful in the latter two roles. Any knife can be used as a weapon, but there are some knives that are better for the job than others, The Glock knife is probably hard to beat for the price, depending on what you're going to use it for.

6. jcs71

jcs71

I love my Glock knives. I have 2 right now, and will get more of them. It will take time but they will take a nice edge. Mine did anyways.
    They kind of remind me of the old M3 trench knife issued to U.S. soldiers during WW2. Except it will take alot better edge than the M3.
    I would say they are great to use if you don't have anything else, or don't want to beat up your more exspensive knives. Otherwise use as a reserve knife.

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

For the price, decent. There are far better, and far worse knives. As a general purpose issued blade, they're pretty decent.

I prefer a Ka-Bar, but for general soldiering tasks (cutting rope, wire, boxes, opening MREs, etc.... cutting poles/stakes and things in an emergency, and if you really had to, taking someone down with it) it would do fine.

Not my first choice if I was sneaking around silencing sentries (that would be a MP5SD) or in a knife fight (i'd get a bigger knife) but as a do-it-all... it would be fine.