·
Registered
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be switching to night sights soon.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I tried to use a 3/16”x1/4” drive socket once. It will not work. You need the little 3/16” hex sight tool for that job. The sidewalls of that tool are incredibly thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Florist
19,897 Posts
A proper fitting/size socket is absolutely needed. So short answer is "Yes."

Don't forget some screw adhesive, such as Loctite. People will argue Loctite blue or Loctite red.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Can be done with a modified socket BUT a tool is easier
Got mine at Squirrel Daddy. Flea bay. +1 on locktite

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used a Dremel modified nut driver my first sight change. Get the tool that is made to do the job. While you are at it, get one with the pin tool combined, you'll thank yourself later.

...Ron

·
Registered
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Looks like I'll get one.

Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
706 Posts
As others have stated, it can be done with a modified nut driver. I used a 1/4"nut driver and ground down a socket to fit in the slide. It worked well but I did get a proper tool anyway. The one I made works well for breaking loose tight front sight screws. Some of those front sight tools are small and don't over a lot of leverage.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
I installed the Trijicon HD on my G19X afeter 6K rounds the front sight got loose and thats when I learned my lesson!
Not it rides on my range bag!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't use loctite when I change out the front sights. I have never had one come loose. I just tighten the screw real tight.
And the Glock front sight tool is kind of expensive, but it's magnetic and that helps hold the screw when you are installing a new sight.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Another mention for using Dawson sights. They come with the tool. Eventually you will have a box full.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
A proper fitting/size socket is absolutely needed. So short answer is "Yes."

Don't forget some screw adhesive, such as Loctite. People will argue Loctite blue or Loctite red.
Blue if you ever think you will want to replace it again.

Red most likely will require heat to remove it.

·
98.SiG and Rising!
718 Posts
Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have had one come loose.
I use purple Loctite - not as strong as blue, but seems to be doing the trick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts