Is the Glock 42 a good pocket pistol

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Sheepdoggit, Feb 12, 2019.

1. No, you won't have a problem pocketing the G42.

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. No, it carries very well in most pockets.

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. No, but it's pushing it so you're better off with an LCP II.

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Yes, go with an LCP II.

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  5. Yes, go with a Bodyguard 380.

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

I had a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 for three years, but I didn't like the trigger for follow up shots (though it's initial 7-8 lb. trigger pull was awesome for such a small pistol). With the Ruger LCP II out for a couple of years now, is the G42 still a viable pocket pistol? Or is it better relegated to carrying IWB on a belt?

I've had six Glocks, but the G42 isn't one of them. I had a G43, and although I could fit it in my pocket, I did not consider it a pocket pistol. Is the G42 just as awkward in the pocket, or does its slightly more diminutive size make it noticeably better for pocket carry?

If so, does it shoot better than a LCP II enough to justify the cost in your opinion?

2. quasii

quasii

I will not pocket-carry a Glock or any striker-fired pistol without a manual safety, too many much collateral damage can occur downstairs... Get the Bodyguard or a 642 with lighter springs and practice.

3. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Pocket carried a G42 for 18 months before switching back to the LCP GEN2.

Not a fan of the LCP II. It did away with most everything that made the LCP a best of breed pocket pistol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

Why did you stop pocket carrying your G42?

5. MAGA 93

MAGA 93

I use to own a G42, if you are going to pocket carry it I recommend getting a trigger guard cover.

6. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

The LCP w/MagGuts is 7+1 in a more compact and lighter package.

In 18 months time there were 5-6 times I left the house without the 42 in my pocket. It’s a pocket pistol, but for me it was on the top end of comfortable.

No excuse for the 5-6 days I left it behind, just me being lazy.

Coming up on two years since switching back to the LCP, and that hasn’t happened once.

GlockyQ, snowbird.40 and Sheepdoggit like this.
  7. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I've flirted with the idea of a 42 but have yet to do more than handle one at the LGS. I keep promising I'll rent one some day but my schedule is a bit hectic these days, so not sure when (or if) that will happen.

Meanwhile, I've been pocket carrying my LCP2 for about three months, pretty much every day, because our daughter, son in law and two young grandsons are renting a house nearby which means I'm on the floor playing a lot and yet I like having a gun. I've been carrying it with a loaded magazine and empty chamber. Hardly remember it's there most of the time.

I've owned all of the LCP generations except the Custom model with the tall sights and red trigger, and I think the LCP2 is the absolute best of the lot. I can shoot it as well as my 43s and I love the slide lock back feature, as well as the grip texture and the option of an OEM 7-shot mag for belt carry and HD duties.

The LCP2 is so good, IMHO, that I've also tinkered with the idea of making it my primary unless I'm traveling to parts unknown or plan to be out at night. Loaded up with Fiocchi Extrema hollow points, I seldom feel undergunned in my particular threat environment.

8. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

My main carry gun is a G43, and I carry it in a IWB holster or ankle. I'm 5'10", 190lbs, and would not consider pocket-carrying the 43.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  9. jamppp

jamppp

For me, my 42 is borderline for pocket carry. Snug jeans and “no-go”, just too big.

Sheepdoggit and WeeWilly like this.
  10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

I voted for "It caries well im Most pockets", but the 42 is right at the limit of what can be carried in the pocket. However, it's accurate, reliable, and can shoot the Plus+P Underwood ammo and it's the only 380 I would carry.

Otherwise if I wanted a small pocket gun I'd go with a P32 Kel-tec. 7+1 ammo capacity and with FMJ ammo it's as good as a 380. Other than the underwood ammo FMJ ammo seems to work best in the 380 because if you can get a bullet to expand at 380 velocities, expansion limits penetration. Only the Undrwood 380 ACP +P 90 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point loaded at 1200 fps has the power to constantly penetrate and expand much better than any other 380 load.

And in the 32 auto, the best load is the Buffalo Bore 32 ACP +P 75 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose @ 1150 Feet Per Second. thes load work good in the 32 Keltec because it's a locked breach pistol. They can not be used on a Beretta Tomcat.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produ...p-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865904627769

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...p-75-grain-hard-cast-lead-flat-nose-box-of-20

Sheepdoggit and Chaos Cosmonaut like this.
  11. bubbatime

bubbatime

I live in Florida. I wear cargo shorts 360 days a year. The G42 just melts into my right front pocket. Cargo shorts have larger pockets than jeans or dress slacks. I have the G26, G43, LCP, and G42, and I carry the G42 most of the time. I can and do pocket carry the G26 and G43, but I prefer the light weight G42 most days.

Cabel67, Quade and Sheepdoggit like this.
  12. SRR0272

SRR0272

It’s pocket dependant.
    Should be obvious.

13. astepup

astepup

I can pocket carry my 42 with ease either in a front pants pocket or inside jacket pocket. Loaded with Underwood ammo it'll put a series sting on anything it's pointed at. I usually carry the 19 or 26, along with the 30SF but for warmer weather I go to the 42.

Cabel67, Sheepdoggit and snowbird.40 like this.
  14. shadowlands

shadowlands

I pocket carry my G42 with ease. No issues. Fits in all pockets.

15. Mike-M

Mike-M

The G42 is one of the finest 380ACP pistols ever made. However, for my purposes it is too large for comfortable pocket carry.

If I'm compelled to use 380ACP, it's because I need a pistol that's really really small. I had for years used a Kel-Tec P-32 in 32ACP for such service. It's still the smallest locked-breech recoil-operated pistol ever made, one that set the example for similar 380ACP pistols by many other makers. The LCP-series is just barely larger than the P-32, while the G42 is a lot larger.

I found the LCP-series to have very bad ergonomics for other than token carry. Then, the outstanding LCP II appeared. The LCP II has a great 5.5-lbf short-pull SAO trigger, better than any 380ACP pistol I've used in 50 years of fiddling around with 380ACP. Its pull and its Trigger Safety ("inner trigger") are as good as or better than Glock's, plus there are several other significant improvements over the LCP. I gave my LCP away without any regrets soon after I got the LCP II.

If the choice were LCP (pre-II) vs. G42, I'd figure out some way to comfortably carry the G42 and junk the LCP. The LCP is just a bad copy of the Kel-Tec P-3AT.

If the choice were LCP II vs. G42, I'd happily and more comfortably carry the LCP II even though the G42 is the much better pistol, if size is ignored.

16. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Mike - couldn't agree more on the LCP II. I've actually shot mine in an IDPA match in the BUG division and was darn proud of the results. It even knocked over the steel targets when hit high.

I've got a dab of neon orange finger nail polish on the front sight, which helps a lot with quick sight acquisition … but I'm thinking of a fancy upgrade I read about on GT or another site: put a coat of white polish down first and then hit it with the orange. Sounds like a good idea and might give me just a teeny bit of an edge with my old eyes.

Sheepdoggit and Mike-M like this.
  17. edm1

edm1

I can easily pocket carry my 42 in slacks or a suit. Jeans pockets are to tight.

18. Timothy Courtney

Timothy Courtney

i pocket carry my 42 with a BORAII pocket holster and IWB with a hidden hybrid or jm4.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  19. Glock40man

Glock40man

Its doable. But, I like other options for pocket carry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

n2g and Sheepdoggit like this.
  20. Badazuwanme2b

Badazuwanme2b

Carry mine in an Alabama pocket holster all the time with no problem.

Sheepdoggit likes this.