Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a Glock fan and owner and currently own a G19 for CCW and was thinking about a Glock 20 for a home defense gun and maybe a winter CCW and also the feeling of having the most powerful gun Glock makes. Is the G20 worth the money and will ammo be available for it in the future. Should I buy the 20 or not.

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,669 Posts
Get used to buying your ammo online or start reloading and you'll be fine. It's a large gun, can certainly be carried but not the best choice for CCW, but it can be done for sure. If you've not handled one, do so since they are larger than 9mm/.40 frames and wider.

The most powerful platform is the G21 platform, because with it you can buy barrels for the .40 Super, .45 Super and 460 Rowland, all more powerful than 10mm. The 10mm is a solid choice, but make sure you want it real bad before buying it.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
It's worth it, conpro. I got into reloading a few years back, due mainly to the price of .45ACP, and eventually got interested in shooting calibers which I would not have previously done. I got dies for .40S&W/10mm, and have enjoyed shooting 10mm quite a bit. My other favorite is .357SIG.

As mentioned earlier, try one to see if you will be OK with the larger frame. The grip is a lot bigger then your G19.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Get used to buying your ammo online or start reloading and you'll be fine. It's a large gun, can certainly be carried but not the best choice for CCW, but it can be done for sure. If you've not handled one, do so since they are larger than 9mm/.40 frames and wider.

The most powerful platform is the G21 platform, because with it you can buy barrels for the .40 Super, .45 Super and 460 Rowland, all more powerful than 10mm. The 10mm is a solid choice, but make sure you want it real bad before buying it.
Been toying with someday picking up a G20, Gen4. But then, I have no justifiable reason for doing so. I have modified my G21SF with: KKM match bbl. and Wolff 22 lb. recoil spring and stainless guide rod, in order to shoot .45 Super. Also, with these mods, I can still shoot .45ACP and .45ACP+P loads just fine.

Excellent Super ammo is available from Underwood Ammo online (haven't tried Buffalo Bore, and probably won't, as I like the UW ammo a lot). So what is a good reason for me to get a G20 in 10mm? Other than to get ONE MORE GLOCK, there is really no good, compelling reason. I could spend that money on other gun stuff, and no doubt be better off for it.

Some days, I think rationally. Other days, not so much. Maybe today is one of those increasingly rare days where my cerebral cortex actually has co-opted my limbic system?

Good luck,
AK

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been toying with someday picking up a G20, Gen4. But then, I have no justifiable reason for doing so. I have modified my G21SF with: KKM match bbl. and Wolff 22 lb. recoil spring and stainless guide rod, in order to shoot .45 Super. Also, with these mods, I can still shoot .45ACP and .45ACP+P loads just fine.

Excellent Super ammo is available from Underwood Ammo online (haven't tried Buffalo Bore, and probably won't, as I like the UW ammo a lot). So what is a good reason for me to get a G20 in 10mm? Other than to get ONE MORE GLOCK, there is really no good, compelling reason. I could spend that money on other gun stuff, and no doubt be better off for it.

Some days, I think rationally. Other days, not so much. Maybe today is one of those increasingly rare days where my cerebral cortex actually has co-opted my limbic system?

Good luck,
AK
I only own a 19 right now so that's why I was thinking about a 20. More firepower. Home defense.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've cc my 20. I finally got a 29 to carry. I had no issues, but it is a large weapon. In the winter usually owb, summer iwb with a t-shirt. I can't wear tight clothes, but I really don't want to.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
199 Posts
For the purposes that you described, I would say that it isn't worth it. There are better calibers for home defense that don't pose the problem of over penetration and difficulty for second shot acquisition. As others have said, the G20 is a big gun and will be difficult to conceal as compared to the G19 that you own. Ammo is another obstacle because it isn't available in many places and is rather expensive. You could reload 10mm if you are a reloader but, setting up to reload from scratch is costly.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I see the glock 21 was mentioned with barrel changes. All good and all but that puts u back to expensive order only or reload you ammo. 10mm is on most shelves here. Also its not just a barrel in the case of the 460 Rowland. Comp also. Also dammage to guns has been found with some of the conversions. Not all. But the biggest reason for me personally not liking the 45 super or 460 is that it has poor down range performance. Where the 10mm and 40 super do way better at range. The 40 super I looked at for a bit. Almost converted a gun to it. But in. The end I did not cause of a few reasons. that ammo is not cheap and very few places even make it. Reloading it is not cheap. Brass cost is up there. There are no bullet designs that hold up to it full power. Cast is an option but again with the speed u pretty much need a gas check. But if you study the neck of the 40 super case u will find a slight taper so it really is not cast friendly. With my personal loaded 10mm the 40 super is only 50fps faster. So in the end not worth it to.me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are ammo choices that have less penetration and allow for easy follow up shots. The only concern I would have is if you can conceal it. My wife and daughter shoot my g20 just fine. Neither of them are experienced shooters or very strong.

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
You can use lighter bullets for home defense if you want to use a 10mm for that purpose.

16 rounds of 135 or 155 grain bullets at 1500 feet per second goodness is nothing to scoff at.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Also, I've bought and seen 10mm on the shelves at many stores, even bought at Walmart once. The price is comparable to other auto pistol ammo on the shelves.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
For the purposes that you described, I would say that it isn't worth it. There are better calibers for home defense that don't pose the problem of over penetration and difficulty for second shot acquisition. As others have said, the G20 is a big gun and will be difficult to conceal as compared to the G19 that you own. Ammo is another obstacle because it isn't available in many places and is rather expensive. You could reload 10mm if you are a reloader but, setting up to reload from scratch is costly.
"I can't wear tight clothes, but I really don't want to."

What a great quote! Tight clothes do suck enormously, IMHO. (That is, if they're on me, not a co-ed).

The above post makes a great deal of sense. I wouldn't jump right into the 10mm ring right away; there ARE other alternatives that make more sense. I would select the 10mm last, of the major popular calibers. JMHO.

AK

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Conpro as you know I'm in the same boat as you. Except the fact of a lot more glocks I own. Maybe the 10mm isn't the best choice, but it certain isn't a wrong choice.

I would take the advice wisely and invest in reloading first. Then see if you want 10mm after. For me I think I'm going to wait till I have my reloading supplies first. THEN make my decision there. For your HD maybe a Glock 21 or even Glock 22 is in order.

·
Regular Guy
1,789 Posts
If Conpro is just looking for a great HD caliber to drop on the nightstand, he'd be wise to go with a standard G21 in my opinion. With the .45 ACP there's very little concern of over penetration, and the standard 230 gr. JHP us nothing to sneeze at if a bad guy climbs through your window. Ammo is available EVERYWHERE and I've pulled some expanded Winchester Ranger T's that are the size of a baby's fist. It'll also make a great winter carry gun, better than the G19 for use against heavy clothing. Most importantly, there's no need for other barrels, springs, dies or weird brass. My trusty G21 is about 12 inches from my side of the bed, and will give me SOMETHING until I can make it across the room to a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I only own a 19 right now so that's why I was thinking about a 20. More firepower. Home defense.
If horsepower was the only answer, the FBI would still be using the 10mm. They gave up shortly after starting and moved to the .40 S&W. Then they got involved with the .40 S&W Lite and I believe I read where they are now allowing agents to shoot 9mm.

Why? Because hits are more important than horsepower that misses. The agents, highly trained by expert instructors, simply couldn't get reliable hits with the 10mm.

There's a reason that a huge segment of the LEO agencies are shooting .40 S&W. They thought that the 9mm was ineffective (probably for shooting through windshields) but that the .45 and 10mm might be more difficult when it came to hitting the target. Now, before everybody turns up the flames, yes, some agencies do use larger calibers than .40 S&W. But I would be willing to bet that the .40 wins out in the larger picture.

I am biased: I like the .45 ACP and always have. I don't particularly like the .40 S&W but I'm coming around. I put some finger groove style Hogue grips on a Sig P229 and I'm finally able to get a handle on .40. The gun used to rock in my hands - never did like it. I always thought of the .40 as being snappy. Much more so than the .45 ACP.

The 9mm will do the job for SD (no windshields are involved!) and it is far easier to get hits when it's easier to control the flinch. Given some decent SD ammo (Hornady Critical Defense?), I would consider the 9 as more than adequate around the house. And a heck of a lot easier to shoot well.

Richard

Reactions: glock19111968

·
Not a golfer
432 Posts
I'm on a waiting list to buy a G20. I absolutely cannot wait for this thing to come in. Like yourself, I cc a G19 usually.

I'm sure I can conceal a G20 (I'm 6'5" and 180), but I have absolutely zero intention of doing so in town. It will not be for home defense. As noted by several, I'd be concerned with overpenetration. This is a "woods" gun for me, but by "woods" we live right on the edge of the foothills and there are bear/cat warning signs right in my neighborhood. In other words, hiking and camping.

It is fun to shoot, though. I enjoyed range time with one, and would probably try it in GSSF for laughs as well. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
My personal HD gun is a G17, because I agree, getting hits is what it's most about.
However, I did just get a 20sf and am enjoying it so far, though I need to put many more rounds through it. I got it for more horsepower (as it's been put) when hiking and staying in bear country, and when on the road more (and to perhaps hunt with). I think it'd be a fine backup to the 17 (or 19 in the OP's case). It's got 15+1 on tap and it doesn't have to be loaded to nuclear levels , though it can be!
I don't reload, but I do mail order most of my ammo, so getting 100 or many, many more rounds at a time isn't a big deal to me. My looming question is whether or not to upgrade the barrel and/or RSA? I'm unsure if it's something I really need.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts

·
Devil Dog
731 Posts
I have had mine for a year. It is my woods gun,and my fave Glock.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts