IS the Glock 19 worthy for 3 gun competition?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by chgofirefighter, Mar 4, 2017.

1. chgofirefighter

chgofirefighter

Thoughts on the above pistol for 3 gun competition? Yeah I know most would agree that the G34 would be the ideal pistol but I want to dive into 3 gun competition with what I already have. I also have an STI Marauder, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Thanks~

2. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

I tell everyone who wants to do 3Gun the same things...

1. Don't buy anything.
    2. Enter a few action pistol matches (IDPA, USPSA) to learn the basics.
    3. Get in touch with a local 3Gun Match Director.
    4. Go to a few matches and borrow what you don't have.
    5. Don't upgrade firearms to "get-by".

3Gun is expensive as there are 3 guns and associated gear, plus lots of ammo. If you still want to go down the rabbit hole after doing the above, trust me, there are no shortage of people in the same boat you are in that will tell you to buy the "best" this or that. Most of the folks giving advice on 3Gun have a sponsor they are trying to keep or are still in the juvenile phase of the sport.

But, yes, your G19 will be fine to get your feet wet. A decent strong side holster and good belt will make it "finer". Most 3Gun pistol shooting is not accuracy intensive.

Road Dog likes this.

3. chgofirefighter

chgofirefighter

Thanks MarkCo, makes sense. Yes the sport is expensive indeed. I have an STI Marauder and I also purchased an Armalite 3 gun comp rifle and a Stoeger MK3 shotgun. The STI and Stoeger is currently with the Gunsmith, getting the shotgun/pistol customized, tune, etc. So basically I am covered in regards to the most expensive items for the sport. I have done some local stuff but but in close door gun ranges, which is not the same as being on an outside/outdoor range.

I personally like the G19 and since Glock was part of my issued gear with the Illinois State Police, well, Glock 22 to be exact. I'm sort of used to using a striker fired pistol. So I wanted to dive right in with the G19 and of course the STI, but honestly speaking I feel more comfortable with the Glock pistol but that's just me.

So far I have spent about 5k on the main stuff, not a cheap sport indeed. Thank you Sir~

arc

MarkCO likes this.
  4. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Or shoot a few GSSF matches and try to win a Glock. I lucked out and got a G34 on a cert last year.

5. davsco

davsco

you'll shoot way better with your sti than your glock, at least that's what i do. but a fair amount of folks use g19's in 3 gun and do well with them. as usual the shooter is more important than the gun.

chgofirefighter likes this.
  6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Absolutely. I started 3 gun with a G34 with 23+1 of ammo. Now I use my STI .40 with 21+1. I give up 2 rounds, but the gain in accuracy and shootability is worth it. Also, when they put up that heavy steel, it takes it down nicely.

7. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

It's the shooter not the gun. The only problem I see might be the length of the sight radius as some of the targets are a fair ways out. Unless you are planning to put a holo or red dot sight which would negate the disadvantage of the shorter sight radius.

While the striker fired guns can be good, I personally prefer a gun with a hammer and SA trigger capability. All my striker fired guns seem to have either a long takeup or heavy pull. The Glock trigger is heavy and feels springy. I just can't seem to find a striker fired gun whose trigger is as good as a CZ, 1911, even my USP.

My first competition gun for anything was an old Browning HP I happened to have. It was the only gun I had that wasn't a revolver. I was handicapped by the magazine capacity, the small sights, and the not so great trigger. But it told me what I need to get to improve my game.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    chgofirefighter likes this.
  8. Rocknropes

Rocknropes

I too was debating the same thing, but with a Glock 17. from this thread, sounds like I'm good to go!