Is the G26 obsolete?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by China boy, Jul 16, 2019.

1. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I have both a 26 and 27. I carry my 27 and 43 interchangeably from time to time. The 26 has always been one of my novelty range toys and not carried much. Obsolescence in this case is difficult to define. People still carry revolvers. The most common calibers and some of our most favorite firearms have been around well over a century. I know people that still carry black powder reproductions of revolvers dating back to as early as 1836, claiming them to be as effective as any modern handgun. None of the firearms mentioned in this thread have made the 26 obsolete, they're simply additional choices. Latest is not always greatest. Better or not, it's up to the individual.

2. Fatalogptwgjdep

Fatalogptwgjdep

While I don't own one, they are far from obsolete. The appeal of being able to use the same mags as a 19/17 will keep them relevant. There is far more competition in the compact carry weapons category. The one thing they all have in common is there is a compromise that has to be made one way or the other. Too heavy, too light, too thick, too small a grip, capacity. As long as gun owners preferences remain diverse, there is a place in the market for many manufacturers. The clear advantage glock has above all is the cross compatibility of many accessories.

3. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

No, still one of the best in it's class. It's smaller than those in it's class.

4. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

The G26 with standard mag and baseplate is a pretty concealable package

With extended mag and slide on grip extension it's a tidy high capacity package

Has the 43 line cannibalized sale from it? Yes. But will Glock discontinue it? Don't see that one happening anytime soon. It's a full width grip that many prefer, even for carry

Recently qualified with it as sharp shooter in idpa out shooting several with full size service pistols

Plenty of us shoot better with 26 than with larger guns

Something to be said for getting both hands fully around the whole gun and additional rapid fire control from wider grip

5. cciman

cciman

I think the Yeet Cannon has put the last nail in the coffin, and dug the grave too.

YEET!

MD357 and checkyoursix like this.
  6. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

YEET for the win, the grace the elegance. I would have no problem carrying it though, those things are dam reliable.

Concealing it, that might be a tad more complicated.

7. DrewBone

DrewBone

Whether it's considered obsolete or not, I'm puzzled as to why we have 6 pages of Glock G26 discussion here, in a non-Glock discussion forum? I'm quite sure that a thread titled "Is the M&P 40 obsolete?" posted over in the General Glocking forum wouldn't fly very well and would quickly be chastized into the "correct" forum, eh. Am I missing something, or is it just too early for me(?), LOL...

Nucflash likes this.
  8. China boy

China boy

I'm the OP. I put the thread in this forum because the discussion is over the possibility of the G26 being run out of town by several non-Glock similar yet different guns. Yes, the title says a Glock item yet the thread asks about it compared to other brands. Its not a Glock specific and only thread for the Glock forum.

9. Orive 8

Orive 8

Obsolete? Not in my house. My wife changed over to the Glock 26 in 2005, its been her EDC gun since then.

I've never been a fan of the 26, dislike the rear grip hump. Last year I ran across a used Gen 3 that had a custom grip reduction and stippling job, fit my hand great and got rid of the rear hump. First 26 that I liked.

A month ago, a traded the gun in at my LGS. A little over a week ago, I was back at store looking at the Vickers 43. I decided to pass on it, and over in the used gun case was my Glock 26. Well, it is now riding on my hip again. Good thing I kept my 26 holsters for it :D.

So obsolete, no; not for my wife and I (at least as of today...)

plp, China boy and PattonWasRight like this.
  10. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Holly Cow that 26 must have cost you an arm and leg by the time it was all said and done. I only ever sell guns in private sales so that I am at least guaranteed to get what they are worth for them. Gun stores will only give you about 50% of their value.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. Orive 8

Orive 8

Not if you have "frequent flyer miles" with them ;)

Lately, I've been getting good trade in/sale prices from my LGS; and I don't have to deal with private party sale B.S., sometimes the $50 difference just isn't worth it... others might feel different, but that is me...

Ranger357 likes this.
  12. Raven1967

Raven1967

Still carry mine everyday and will for a long time.Just more choices out there and choices are nice to have.

13. China boy

China boy

Well I brought my G26 to the range today do celebrate this thread. And, yes, the G26 is a great shooter.

Dr_fast and jr24 like this.
  14. Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Just saw these the other day.
    https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/39324

Ranger357 and Mister X like this.
  15. DrewBone

DrewBone

'Coulda' fooled me...carry on.

16. China boy

China boy

Your opinion on the matter was actual none of my concern.

17. Gunboat1

Gunboat1 A.F.&A.M.

Obsolete? Heck no. I own a G26 (my wife's hands-down favorite) and often carry a G33. They are superb weapons and still very much in the game.

18. VIS07

VIS07 Never, never, never give up.

Im actually walking in to shoot my obsolete G27. Same size and God forbid... A .40. Haha.

glock1097 likes this.
  19. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Not obsolete, but not necessarily the front runner. Too many good products from other manufacturers.

MD357 and Nucflash like this.
  20. Webologist

Webologist

The newer thinner designs will cut into G26 sales but it remains as relevant as it ever was. It has a reputation for reliability that will take the P365 years to achieve...