Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this topic and did not find much. I then contacted my lodge president to ask him, and was told that other lodge members were asking the same, so he is asking "up the chain".

I admit, I am not much of an FOP participant, but I still would like to have an answer.

·
Hail 2 The King
4,091 Posts
absolutely are anti gun. Here's todays story about it
http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-co...rnal-order-of-police-in-the-nuts-2576694.html
and just a little quote
1. The Fraternal Order of Police is on Congressional Record as having been a major supporter of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
2. As a matter of fact and record, the FOP is accredited with assisting VP Biden in formulating the language of the newly proposed ban
3. Additionally, as a matter of fact and public record, the FOP is in support of the newly recommended Assault Weapons Ban introduced by Senator Feinstein.
a. FOP representatives were actually standing on the Stage during the presentation as a sign of “support”.

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
I did a thread about this in GNG. In short, local lodges are sending the National Lodge a letter urging them to NOT support any new gun control. Ours did - get yours to do so, as well.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
It was my understanding that the National lodge was some years ago. I have no idea now.
The National Lodge started to lean anti-gun around 1980 when Dewey Stokes was the National President. They've sputtered back and forth a bit, but in the main the National Lodge has degenerated into being pretty reliably anti-gun.

I suppose that their only saving grace is that, so far, they haven't become immediately and unfailingly in the Democrat Party's bed like the Hydrant-Humpers' national union always has been.

·
NRA LIFE MEMBER
2,769 Posts
I did a thread about this in GNG. In short, local lodges are sending the National Lodge a letter urging them to NOT support any new gun control. Ours did - get yours to do so, as well.
Exactly. My local lodge is absolutely pro gun. Been a member for several years and I've never got the impression it was anti-gun. But, I can only speak for MY lodge.

·
Registered
16,543 Posts
The FOP runs a really nice private/public range in my area with a decent gun shop offering sales and smithing. My dad has been a member for years, and I shoot there nearly every time I go back home. One of the nicest ranges in the state.

I'd say no based on that, at least in my area.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The perception is; that the National FOP is a union run by East Coast types, and thus democrat, which equals anti-gun. They are always mentioned by gun regulators looking to pursuade folks that the 'police' support their anti-agenda...and perception equals reality. Doesn't much matter how your local feels, until you clean house that's what folks will think.

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
If the national leadership wishes to REMAIN in their leadership roles, they would do well to listen to the local lodges who elect them. While politics is alive and well in the FOP, as anywhere else, the majority does rule - I would highly recommend that the National Lodge pay attention to the voices of all of the locals.

·
Retired Copper
894 Posts
The rank and file police support gun rights, own assault weapons and encourage their family members to get CCW permits and become proficient with firearms. They have money withdrawn from their paychecks by the FOP for union dues. They have no say so in who the FOP endorses or what issues they support.

·
Unfair Facist
30,030 Posts
The National Lodge started to lean anti-gun around 1980 when Dewey Stokes was the National President. They've sputtered back and forth a bit, but in the main the National Lodge has degenerated into being pretty reliably anti-gun.

I suppose that their only saving grace is that, so far, they haven't become immediately and unfailingly in the Democrat Party's bed like the Hydrant-Humpers' national union always has been.
^^^^ this, I recall having a conversation with Dewey during FOP's Florid convention and he showed up. the man never saw a gun control bill he didn't like.

·
©South Fla 2019
4,048 Posts
This letter was posted on fop.net from National President Chuck Canterbury.

It does appear that the FOP wants universal background checks and access to mental health records and something called "responsible gun ownership".

I am an 29-year FOP member of my lodge on the Executive Board for the last 10, and most of the time Chuck Canterbury does not speak for me. I voted for Ted Street in Salt Lake City, UT.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The new AWB will have a big effect on Officers. If you are required to buy your patrol rifle you will have to register it class 3 and be limited to ten round mags. If you have to purchase your own duty or off-duty weapons you would be limited to ten round mags. Why would the FOP get in bed with the anti-gunners it will be screwing it's own members.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Yes for the most part I think they are just like things in general though there are members that are not but I think the groups overall leaning from the top is yes

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
Since when do National Unions and FOPS ever really represent the feelings of the membership? In my experience, hardly ever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts