Is the beretta the new 1911?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

yes, yes, just like it was F16 bases in Italy that helped Beretta landed the M9 contract and not because it beat out the rest of the fields and tied with SIGSauer P226.

2. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

So is the original question trying to ask if it's obsolete as a combat sidearm? I don't think so. But something like the Glock is cheaper and easier to produce, lighter and I think you can build it around different shooters better (like the shorter grip/barrel with stuff like the 19, 19X, etc). The problem I always had with 1911s is so many companies make them and some of them do it cheaply with MIM parts or certain things not done right (crappy magazines, mistuned extractors, barrels not throated right, sloppy slide-frame/barrel-slide/barrel-bushing fit). My only real criticism of the Beretta M9/92FS was that the safety can get accidentally flipped on. That's why I tell people who want one to get the 92G which I thought was the one that only has the decocker, no safety. Or get the Taurus PT92 that has the safety/decocker frame-mounted and the safety does not get accidentally flipped on.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Blackshirt, Chui and ak103k like this.

3. Pistol Pap

Pistol Pap

M9 is great gun. Carried 20+ years in military. Most people issues with M9 isn’t necessarily with pistol but with innovations and all the options available on the market, “ we should carry Glocks , we should carry M&Ps etc

Bus007 and Chui like this.
  4. Chui

Chui

Pinhead Response.

But you keep smoking and shooting up.

Hint: it’s bad for your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Glock lost. Get over it.

6. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

The M27 IAR is not replacing the M4A1. It is expected to replace the M249. HK equipment is good stuff although pretty pricey for what it is. As to the Glock 19X vs the Sig M17/M18, I heard through the grapevine that the reason the Sig beat out Glock's submission was one of price (the Sig costing about $200 per unit where the Glock was about twice that). That and I heard Glock's submission wasn't "modular..." Whatever the f that means. I don't think the military always chooses the "best" equipment btw (re: M16). Look at what the SOCOM guys carry (those guys have more freedom with the selection of their weapons) and it's usually Glock or HK for a sidearm.

7. 0311INF

0311INF

Visuals yeah, no doubt. However a big reason it's in so many films is because the 92 series works with blank adapters/barrels very well.

8. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

Its a great gun according to some people some of the time.

I’ve been shooting in different competitions, steel plate, local knock down plate, GSSF, local combat leagues, etc. and I can count on my right hands pointer finger how many Beretta 92/M9 have been used. And that particular one was massaged by Wilson Combat and it is a shooter you betcha.

K and L frame Smiths for the revolvers - 1911 pattern, Glock, and CZ mostly for the autos. Throw in a Sig X5 here and there for the giggle effect.

Anyway I appreciate the enthusiasm that is out there for the Beretta, keep up the good work as I’m outshooting you with an Edge or a Target Master.
    (I’m being facetious with the last statement)
    ...Ron

9. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

As I said, it will never be as much of an icon as the 1911.

However, this implication that it’s going anywhere Is laughable.

It will be produced and people will be snapping them up for decades to come.

Chui and Jan R Whitaker like this.
  10. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

you’re wrong about the M27. The Corps is replacing the M4A1 with it, at least fir the Marine Infantry.

if the M16 is so bad then why are Delta Force guys still using it’s cute down version? Why are every new rifle looking like the M16?

the Glock is 20th century design...like that ancient Beretta and Colt. The M17/18 are 21st century designs. No wonder they won.

11. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

The 92-series is a modern classic. The appreciation for it will only go up.

12. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

Of that I have no doubt. I definitely wouldn't mind owning a Wilson Brigadere. I think I'll have a CZ Target Orange before that though.

...Ron

13. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Colt, Beretta and CZ in that order for me.

14. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

I own more STI guns. No Colts, no CZs though I do own and like my Baby Desert Eagle in 9mm which is close to the CZ platform. CZ is on my list for future purchase, Colts- not really. I have shot Colt pistols and other than a couple are no better than SA or Sig 1911’s in my hand.

...Ron

15. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Yea, Colts have the name. But honestly - I see many other 1911 brands that make a better gun for the money. I don't know if they still do it, but Colt was using a polymer trigger and polymer MSH for a while there....

16. ak103k

ak103k

The plastic triggers and MSH were one of the dumber things Colt did. At the time I was dealing with them, there were still plenty of proper steel parts still readily available, and for pretty cheap.

I always preferred basically stock guns (with just slightly larger sights and a reliability package done), and at the time, everyone else was trying to trick them out, so my local smith, who was a big, 1911 "improver", was always well stocked with basic parts.

I always preferred the A1 short trigger/arched MSH with a loop as well.

I still see a lot of pics of Colts with those plastic parts, and I just shake my head and still wonder what they were thinking. :rolleyes:

ShipWreck likes this.
  17. dbuck47

dbuck47

In the context of the OP’s question, And the parameters he posed, I tend to agree. It’s not about whether I prefer a 1911, a 92, a Glock, an M17, or another platform, but the current status of the 92 as a standard issue in the process of being replaced.

When the 92 was adopted, it was “ state of the art” at least in concept. Everyone who was anyone wanted a “ wonder nine “, even though the Glock was coming into service. For a period of time, the DA/SA with a hammer drop safety or some variation was the “ it” pistol. The 92 had early teething problems, ( sound familiar?) but went on to a reasonably good service record, endeared to many users.

18. Chui

Chui

Yep. Toss your M-17 into a room and it will fire on its own til empty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    No, I carried one on duty for about 10 years and don’t miss it.

20. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I do not look at the Beretta as being the new 1911. I have owned several different examples of each since 1990 and have found them all to be great pistols. Nothing can really replace the 1911 as a semi-automatic pistol icon.

However, the Beretta is a well built, accurate and serviceable pistol in its own right and in my experience, probably one of the most feed reliable autos I have used, regardless of type of ammunition used.

Jan R Whitaker and Chui like this.