Is the beretta the new 1911?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Chui

Chui

That seems like a HUMAN issue not a pistol issue.

Learning to shoot means just that: trigger discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ak103k likes this.
  2. Chui

Chui

I’ll have to call BS on this one. My Wilson Combat and LTT Berettas are every bit as accurate as my TRP and Thunder Ranch.

That’s a purposely built pistol and it should outshoot my 92s.

3. Chui

Chui

It’s called reducing cost by purchasing more of the same - and it will not require a new Purchase Requisition and Purchase Order.

Once you work in Project Management you learn about such things. After awhile you just accept it (and from a financial perspective it makes sense).

There was no need for a trial if I were in charge. I would have asked Glock to improve their recoil spring assembly - essentially make it more robust and we would have been in business - saving the public money especially since Delta and DevGru are already using Glocks. But I also know a well thought out external would be preferred so...

4. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

It’s called Glock lost to SIG Sauer.

BTW, there’s a reason why you weren’t in charge of the XM17 trial abd it’s called lack of expertise. Stick to project management, whatever that is.

If reducing cost is the key then why is the USMC buying and issuing M27 rifles in lieu of M4A1 carbines? You know, the M4A1 that the US Army is currently buying from FN.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Do you know what the performance parameters are for an MTU bullseye Pistol?

Don’t answer because it’s a rhetorical question. Obviously you don’t and that’s why you had made such a sophomoric remark. Wilson Berettas and LTTs that can compete with MTU bullseye pistols. ROFL.

https://www.defense.gov/Experience/Army-Marksmanship-Unit/

6. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

Actually the 1911A1 was still in common use during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. It was my assigned sidearm since I was a M60 gunner.

Bus007 likes this.
  7. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Indeed. Even with the might 101st Airborne Division, they barely got M9s when Desert Shield started.

8. ScotchWhisky

ScotchWhisky HEMIs, guns, and booze

9. OXMYX

OXMYX

Beretta shines in the mouse gun category.

9 shots with my Jetfire that fits in a front pocket.

Colt38SuperDude likes this.
  10. Wererat

Wererat

My 19 is stunningly adequate (by which I mean it never does anything unexpected). If I didn’t have it, I would’ve shredded LGS inventories and the net for a PX4. In my experience there’s not a thing wrong with DA/SA that a spot of practice doesn’t resolve.

11. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

It is an excellent pistol. I carried mine off duty as well as a lot of officers in the greater Los Angeles area. It is one of the pistols I frequently recommend to new shooters. :fred:

Bus007 likes this.
  12. johns961

johns961

I got my first Beretta in the early 80's while we lived in Miami. I still have it. It is more accurate then me. is 100% reliable with all ammunition. And protected my growing family for a long time.
    It is a 92S. Later I got a 92F. Then a 92FS and a 92FS compac. I like Beretta.
    John!

GlockWheeler, Bus007 and CAcop like this.
  13. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I was attached to the 3rd Armored Division at the time. I was a Combat Engineer and had to clear bunkers after the cease fire. The 1911 served me well. When I arrived in Germany in Jan 1992 and was assigned to the 1st Armored Division, we still had the 1911A1 and M3A1 SMG's in the arms rooms. It wasn't until late 92 or early 93 before we turned the 1911's and M3's in for the M9.

There is nothing wrong with the M9, it was just a bit untested in combat in a desert environment back in 90-91. And that is why I scrounged a 1911 instead. Yes the M9 has since proven itself in the same environments.

Colt38SuperDude likes this.
  14. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

No, but it’s still going down in history as an iconic piece.

15. 0311INF

0311INF

The Beretta has a significant following as a military sidearm, but the entertainment industry has really bumped it to near the top of the iconic handguns list.

Bus007 and Colt38SuperDude like this.
  16. cciman

cciman MacGyver

You never know what is invisible, besides cost:
    Politics, legal liability, junkets, dinners, (bribes, sex) favors, bias...perhaps Russian interference and manipulation. They are buying in bulk.

Large scale selections at that level are often without transparent or logical reasons from the ground looking up. To civilians (who have flexibility to select, and are also limited to what access they have to gov spec'd guns), the US mil selection should be moot (just as what FBI "selects"), but we needlessly accept it as some sort of value judgement on our own weapon's selections. These guns were selected as "best" for the hive, and organization, not for necessarily for individuals.

ak103k likes this.
  17. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Because it has "visual" uniqueness, like 1911's. Stands out, great for cinema, video. Even better if it is silver colored. That's why they used a 44 revolver in the The Walking Dead.=revolvers stand out dramatically these days (watch a recent Asian film, and you notice the revolver being really out of place).

Other guns are hard to distinguish (generic) when flashed on the screen-- those are carried by the bad guys. One should not let movie characters pick our guns. Walther PPK anyone?
    Fantasy fodder.
    No casting agent is watching you, because of the gun you own.

Do they run out of bullets in movies, or have to go pee?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  18. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

Check out the government requirements for the XM9 purchase:

• Chambered in 9mm NATO caliber
    • Detachable magazine with capacity of at least 13 rounds
    • Magazine catch which ejects magazine without the use of the second hand
    • First round trigger pull to be double action, followups single action
    • Slide stop that locks slide open when the magazine is empty
    • Durability of 5000 rounds with no more than 8 malfunctions
    Safety System:
    • Thumb-safety system ambidextrous
    • De-cocking device to safely lower a cocked hammer
    • Firing pin block when the hammer is lowered
    The Air Force invited several makers to compete in this testing program.
    Looks to me like the government knew what they wanted when they wrote their inquiry. Proof positive that the upper military didn't think of the handgun as anything but ornamentation. More politics...

If you've been around firearms for many years, you know what works for you. I carried concealed for my entire career and duty-sized guns chambered in a nominal cartridge just didn't work. We often went as long as 36 hours of duty and big honking guns were awkward to carry and conceal. By every account, the Beretta is a fine firearm. However, it doesn't meet my needs.

19. ak103k

ak103k

LOL. How many of the 1911 shooters would shoot any course of fire for score against the Beretta, SIG P226, Glock 17 etc, with the 1911 in the above pic?

Dont get me wrong, I like a "good" 1911, preferably a "slightly" modified (sights and a reliability package) stock Colt, and Ive owned more of them of a number of makes over the years than most, but these days, what people want to compare, arent the 1911's everyone wants to call "legendary".I would bet a lot of people call them a lot of other names though. :p

The main reason I quit using/carrying a 1911, after over a quarter of a century of daily use, is because of what they had become, and the problems that came with that.

Not to mention, a lot of things had progressed, both guns and ammo, and, as with progress often goes, you end up with better things.

Legendary? In peoples minds and all the "stories".

20. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Is "chrome lined barrel" or "Nitrided slide and barrel" on that points list?
    If not, FAIL!