Is the beretta the new 1911?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Heard it stated a few times. That its
    A. A formermilitary sidearm, replaced by more modern desighns
    B. Outsold by modern striker fired poly guns.
    C.Maintians a cult following anyways
    D.Has seen a surge in custom shops like wilson and ltt pimping them out with custom features despit old design.

I feel it is, a gun thats been outshined and outsold by the market overall but still gets the job done and maintains a cult following of dedicated fans.

What do you think?

Will Beararms and grecco like this.
  2. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I like the design they are still a viable sidearm. Exceptionally reliable in my experience as well. I have seen several people say what you are saying as well it seems they are more popular than ever now.

3. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

the Beretta is a great weapon server our military well, but I don't see any pistol replacing the popularity of the 1911.

treg, hogship, ScotchWhisky and 8 others like this.
  4. Dan

Dan

Agreed. It will never be forgotten for the length of service the M9 served.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

No. The 1911 is the most iconic handgun ever because, aside from anything you said, the design and the all-steel construction means that it is readily adaptable to extreme accuracy, easy modification, and the most forgiving trigger of any semi-auto pistol ever made.

That's why people used them as a base for custom guns long before you could buy all of those upgrades from the factory and that is why they are still #1. The Beretta will never be that, because of the aluminum frame, DA/SA trigger and fixed front sight, to start with. The Beretta was a pretty good gun in 1984, but it has nothing going for it in the current market or for the future.

xTerpx, hogship, fasteddie565 and 5 others like this.
  6. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

The competition crowd--first, Bullseye then later the action shooting games--has kept the 1911 alive and healthy for a long time. The trigger is hard to match, much less beat, on Mr. Browning's design. While that's only one aspect of running a handgun well, it's an important one.

I see a few of the current generation match shooters doing the same thing now with the Beretta. That trend may grow, kudos if it does. More variety to choose from, draws in more people to take part. To me the tricky aspect is the managing a trigger that is first shot double action, then single action for the rest of the string of fire. For those who are dedicated though, it can be done.

Chui and PhotoFeller like this.
  7. Finestkind

Finestkind

I like them and enjoy shooting them. I have a couple that are really accurate. Too heavy for me to conceal carry though so for me they are range guns. First time I shot competition I used a stock 92. I was able to hold my own and outshoot many of the younger guys.

Finestkind

rayzer007 likes this.
  8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I always thought the gun was too large for caliber and personally I much prefer a single action that can be carried cocked and locked or a striker fired gun like a Glock to a DA/SA/Decocker/Crunchenticker for defensive purposes.

However, the military doesn't want to put any money into additional handgun training and has never approved of cocked and locked carry and the current striker fired gun they use (The Sig) has an added safety.

Special forces, however, have used both Glocks with no add-on safety as well as the M45A1 CQBP which is meant to be carried cocked and locked with the upswept beavertail, ambi safety, and short hammer spur.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  9. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

• The Beretta 92 design is the iconic 9mm pistol.
    • It’s instantly recognizable by pretty much anyone when they see one.
    • It’s an extremely durable and reliable weapon.
    • It will probably be my first choice of 9mm sidearm if SHTF. (That or the APX, undecided.)

But.... it’s still not in the same “legendary” category as the 1911.

The 1911 has a service history and epic-ness all it’s own. Probably won’t see another weapon equal it’s reputation and fan following for a long time, if ever.

ScotchWhisky, pgg00 and GlockWheeler like this.
  10. collim1

collim1

The Beretta 92/M9 is my all time favorite handgun. I bought one the day I turned 21 and it has been my favorite ever since.

I just love them.

11. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

I wanted a Beretta because of its military history. It’s immediately recognizable and revered for that reason alone. That’s why I also acquired several 1911s.

The Beretta is a great looking pistol and a good range gun. I’ve never had the inclination to carry my 92 because of its size and the DA/SA trigger.
    83CF9273-BE42-446E-89A5-FD8A69E38F95.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  12. Bradd D

Bradd D

I think the Beretta 92/M9 falls in line with the Sig P226. It certainly isn't the new 1911. I think Glock is the new 1911 for Gen X'ers and after.

Eero and DonGlock26 like this.
  13. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I was issued and carried both the 1911A1 and M9 while I was in the Army. Give me a 1911 any day over the Beretta. The Beretta just never fit my hands well and I could not shoot it as good as I could shoot a 1911. Others had just the opposite experience than I did.

14. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Nobody is claiming the Beretta is as "legendary" as the 1911. The point is the prediction of the 92s sure demise after loosing the US military contract and polymer striker pistols taking over the world hasn't occured. The 92 is now very popular in the custom and competition gun world along with the 1911 and CZ-75. Without being tied to the military specs Beretta now seems more interested in coming out with a lot of new models for the commercial market.

15. ak103k

ak103k

The Beretta is a good gun, so is the 1911 and most of the other contenders for the position. The only real weak point with any of them is the shooter, and thats really the biggest issue and where most of the complaints about any of them come from.

Cant blame the gun, if you cant shoot it well. ;)

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I owned a few Berettas before becoming a 1911 guy. The Beretta was a fine piece of field artillery. It just lacked wheels.

The M9 can't polish the 1911's shoes.

chemboy, Bomber Nav and CAcop like this.
  17. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

Maybe, maybe not. I always qualified expert with the 1911A1 but the not with the M9. And I have no problems shooting accurately with Glocks either.

seanmac45 likes this.
  18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I like the Sig P226 better because it's available in Single Action Only. Same thing with the CZ75.

19. ak103k

ak103k

I shoot all three and have no trouble shooting any of them well. I also shoot a lot of DAO revolver as well, and shoot them well too.

My experience has been, if you can shoot a DA trigger well, you can usually shoot pretty much anything well and without trouble. When you hear complaints, its usually the SA shooters that you hear the complaints from.

As I said, the weakest point of any of them, is the shooter. Of course, most shooters dont like to admit, that they could be the problem, but, it is what it is. :)

AnthonyC, PRKJayhawk and Glolt20-91 like this.
  20. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

It is not a 1911. It is a Beretta.