close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is the $90 Glock19 Flashlight any good?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Wrascal, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Wrascal

Wrascal

I was looking at one earlier today, on a Glock 19. It was priced at "add $80" to pistol price, they said retail was about $90.

Is this thing any good? It looks good, but it didn't really seem like much for the price. I know it has the Glock name on it, so that'll add.

Any owners/users chime in. please. I intend to buy a Glock tomorrow/very soon, just don't know if it'll have the light on it or not.

Thank you. Wrascal

2. mserr

mserr mmm bop

they do the job, but i'd get a streamlight or surefire.

3. SweetG21

SweetG21

You might find one cheaper if you look around on the net.

4. Wrascal

Wrascal

Thanks for the responses. I was really hoping for more info.

I know that it'll light up - I don't expect nearly as bright or white as a several hundred $ one. I don't know that I'd save more than a few $ (if that) after s&h.

I was more concerned with its durability. It LOOKS good, but what about the quality? Will it stand up to being removed daily, and then reinstalled each evening. Will it break the first time I drop it?

I'll check back in a few hours.

Thank you again for the replies.

5. Wrascal

Wrascal

Someones got to be the first.

I think I'll probably get one, and will post again when I tear it up.

Have a good weekend, y'all.

6. LMLuciano

LMLuciano

I've had one for about 3 weeks now. I bought the G-19 Homeland Defender and it is part of the package. I put it on every night and remove it in the morning. It seems durable enough, and It certainly is bright enough for inside my apartment.

One of these days I'm going to take it to the range and shoot with it on the gun.

7. miwxq

miwxq

Get a streamlight TLR-1, I have TLR-2 and it is great..............

8. pens-66

pens-66

I also have one on my G23 Homeland Defender..It was part of the package...seems like a good light.I take if off in the morning and put it back on at night.It is all I need for inside the house and will probably never fire the gun with it on there anyway...Yes there are better lights out there,but do you really need them?

9. AJ Dual

AJ Dual

I have a Glock GTL10 light.

I was just "pimping out" my Kel-Tec Sub9 and wanted appropriately value-priced accessories for what's essentially a range queen. So I got a cheap Ombu Ledwave Z5 from an eBay seller. The Ombu is a Spanish made Streamlight clone. The first unit he sent me failed, and was out of stock, so the seller offered me an exchange for an additional $10 to get a GTL10 from him instead.

It works well, although the bulb isn't shock isolated on a unified spring and reflector unit like the SureFire and other higher end rail-mount lights are. It is plenty bright, good white light, perhaps 60-75 lumens, and despite not having shock isolation, presumably Glock feels it would survive repeated recoil just fine. Pretty much what you'd expect from a decent quality Xenon bulb flashlight driven by two 123A lithium batteries.

Other than the lack of shock isolation and the unitized bulb/spring/reflector modules like you see in SureFire and comparable produts, I'd say It's build quality is pretty good. The switch seems rugged enough, and overall I feel the light is pretty tough for an all-plastic piece. I wouldn't hammer nails with it like the Surefire X200 ad in the gunrags, but I'd expect it to stand up well to normal handling, holstering, and shooting. The rail interface was very tight and solid.

For my purposes, I feel the GTL10's ugly duckling looks are well suited to the rather homely Kel-Tec carbine, although I don't think it's quite worth the going rates of $80-85 they seem to be priced at online. Despite it being my seller's cost, I feel the $65 I paid for it was closer to it's true worth. Once the rail-light market saturates a bit further, I'd expect these Glock lights to come way down in price.

For "serious use" as in: "my life might depend on it", the bargain choice right now seems to be the Streamlight TLR1, a 3 Watt LED that puts out around 75 Lumens, no bulb to replace or ever break on you, and some find the crisp bluish-white light from the LED flashlights to be an advantage. They can be found for about $99 online, and definitely worth the extra $19 over an $80 Glock light.