GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The 277 fury is the next hot cartridge.
Yeah, I've read a little about it but with the extreme high pressure I doubt it turns out to be more than a fad. It has to be a real barrel burner.

Reactions: 10or45

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'd put my 260 up against the CM any day.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
If I want to shoot a 70 grain bullet, I’ll take the 243 & leave the AR home. The Valkyrie case leaves much on the table fitting into an AR action.

The 243 firing that 70 grain bullet has much more performance. Yes I know, many only see the AR platform.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Heyday would require that it was popular to begin with. 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be a cartridge that the ammo manufacturers really wanted to be popular and tried to force on buyers. Stores shelves were loaded with Creedmoor boxes which no one seemed to be buying. It works fine but there's so much overlap in cartridges today.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm 59 and been shooting pretty much my whole life. I was thinking that if I was a younger new shooter I might be be more of a 6.5 fan but after shooting 308 and 270 for years I don't see a need to switch. I do like the 6.5 cm just think it was overhyped.
The 6.5CM is the new cool kid on the block.

many of the people who tout its performance over the .308 at extended range can’t even shoot a decent group at 100-yards much less 1000-yards. Still, it’s cool for bragging rights.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The 6.5CM is the new cool kid on the block.

many of the people who tout its performance over the .308 at extended range can’t even shoot a decent group at 100-yards much less 1000-yards. Still, it’s cool for bragging rights.
Well it is cool but not exactly new......think it has been around since 2007? Someone correct me if I am wrong on the year

·
1911 lover
10,144 Posts
I bought up a bunch of 6.8 spc mags a couple gun crisis ago. Thought that was where stuff was headed. I was way wrong..

Having 5.56 with heavy bullets or 308 seems like a lot of choices allready. And i stock both those ammo types now.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I bought up a bunch of 6.8 spc mags a couple gun crisis ago. Thought that was where stuff was headed. I was way wrong..

Having 5.56 with heavy bullets or 308 seems like a lot of choices allready. And i stock both those ammo types now.
Like you, I’ve seen a bunch of new cartridges come with the promise of being a true “do it all” round only to find out the old standards still compete just fine. If they ever develop a way to put 308 performance in an AR-15 lower then it will be a game changer. By then though I think we’ll have an energy weapon and it won’t matter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
6.5 cm is a fine round. Most calibers are because they fill the niche they were designed for. The CM is better if long distance is the game. They are great for coyote at long ranges. For hoofed animals they are fine to 500 and great past 500. The choice you have to make is what is it for. If hunting is the game then 7mm08 or 308 will perform better. Distance shooting and hunting should never cross paths. Use skills to get closer. I shoot 300 or less 98 percent of time when hunting. I like my CM as I like many rounds. I have a tikka CTR in 6.5 and am happy. I didnt sell an existing rifle to buy it. Always borrowed rifles for hunting. When I went to buy I got the one rifle that I could hunt with and shoot long distance if the need was there. Currently with ammo he way it is no shooting just hunting. Just Research what folks are doing for your plan and you have you answer. Ammo design plays a bigger role when hunting or shooting than calibur. I did not buy my CM till hunting ammo was on market.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Two buddies of mine both jumped ship to the 6.5. One traded in his old .270 Remington 700 for a Kimber Alpine in 6.5 CM. He's in his 70's and had neck surgery and can no longer shoulder a heavy rifle, or stand recoil.

He loves his new rifle and took a deer with it this year at 100 yards and it performed perfectly.

The other buddy is in his 40's and went from a Tika in .300 WSM to a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. He wanted to shoot game at 500+yards like the cool kids on YouTube.

His new rifle is incredibly accurate with 1/2" groups at 200 yards.

He got a shot on a nice bull elk at 450 yards away and took the shot. The bull went down. He went to chamber another round and the shell wouldn't extract. The bull got up and took off.

He never found it. He discovered a branch on a bush that he couldn't see had deflected the bullet enough to wound the elk but not kill it. He also discovered that the extractor had broken on his $2000 rifle.

He admits now that it was foolish to take a shot on an animal that far away, in a brushy area, using a 147 grain bullet. Now he's getting rid of that rifle and looking at something in 300 PRC.

Using smaller and lighter bullets on large game requires much more ideal conditions than most hunters encounter in the woods. It can be done, but you have to stay within certain parameters to be effective.

·
I feel pretty.
3,282 Posts
Best round out there. There's going to be some hate, same as .40 in a pistol.

Just love how it's flatter shooting than a .308, and the shelf ammo is as acurate as anything I can hand load. It was purpose made from the start for long range performance without pushing the cartridge to it's limits.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Using smaller and lighter bullets on large game requires much more ideal conditions than most hunters encounter in the woods. It can be done, but you have to stay within certain parameters to be effective.
I had the same thought reading Timmy bigtimes post. Shooting targets is much different than animals. I’m good to at least 700 yards with my .223 and good >75 grain bullets for targets. For deer at over 300 yards, I feel you are approaching needing something in the magnum class of cartridges. By the time you get to 400-500 then I honestly feel you owe it to the animal to hit it with something more than a light recoiling round can deliver.

This attitude comes from seeing way too many deer wounded by weak rounds. I was just relayed a story a few days ago about a family member shooting a deer with a subsonic 300 BO. I respect the animals too much to do that to them.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Best round out there. There's going to be some hate, same as .40 in a pistol.

Just love how it's flatter shooting than a .308, and the shelf ammo is as acurate as anything I can hand load. It was purpose made from the start for long range performance without pushing the cartridge to it's limits.
Hey, I'm a huge 40 cal fan, I'm also a 9mm and 45 fan.
I like the 6.5 cm but I think it was hyped up to sell rifles and people are starting to find that out. I remember when it came out people were going all stary eyes over it and now it's just another round on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A lot of those PRS long range guys are now jumping over to the 6mm dasher, 22 dasher, 6mm creedmoor and what ever new comes along. The new Hornady ARC cartridge is really being pushed now in the AR platform. Me, I'm partial to my do all for what I need 308.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It’s all overhyped. It ain’t rocket science for hunting. Powder charge behind a suitable hunk of lead in a barrel that will keep good groups is all you need in a hunting gun. The nitty gritty comparisons between practically the same calibers is and always has been over blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
If I want to shoot a 70 grain bullet, I’ll take the 243 & leave the AR home. The Valkyrie case leaves much on the table fitting into an AR action.

The 243 firing that 70 grain bullet has much more performance. Yes I know, many only see the AR platform.
Well..

There is one HUGE.... no YUUUUGGGGE.... advantage of Valk over 223 in an AR. I probably shouldnt say it publicly so people do catch on.

During this ammo shortage, Valk is on the shelves and 556/223 is not. It is generally about $12 a box for Valk.

So although the case may leave something on the table, at least there are cases and cartridges available to fit into the actions....

·
Banned
35,021 Posts
A lot of those PRS long range guys are now jumping over to the 6mm dasher, 22 dasher, 6mm creedmoor and what ever new comes along. The new Hornady ARC cartridge is really being pushed now in the AR platform. Me, I'm partial to my do all for what I need 308.
For long range steel shooting, I use 6 Creed.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts