GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one time I was really interested in the 6.5 creedmoor but after reading what I could find on it I decided it didn't give me anything I already didn't have in 308 or 270win. Sure if I was going to shoot past 1000 yards on a regular basis it may give me a slight advantage but who does that, not many.
Don't get me wrong I think it's a really good round but I also think it was overhyped by gun manufacturers to sell more rifles. So is has the 6.5 cm craze died down or is it still the hot ticket item of the gun world.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yep, the magic has left. Maybe the 6 Creedmoor or the .224 Valkyrie will become the new hotness.

The 6mm Creedmoor has even less recoil than the 6.5 due to lighter bullets while maintaining acceptable bullet ballistic coefficients for typical ranges.

The .224 Valkyrie is a cartridge more capable than the 5.56 at throwing heavier bullets out of the AR platform. This makes a formidable deer sized game rifle and 1,000 yard target rifle in one.

The above was very tongue in cheek. I’m a middle aged old fudd when it comes to this stuff. Whatever rifle you’ve got will probably do anything you can do with a rifle. These new rounds are primarily designed to get people who already own a 260 Remington to buy the 6.5 Creedmoor. Sure the new one may be “better” in a few ways but it will perform identically for practically 100% of shooters.

·
Semper Paratus
27,961 Posts
No, It does some things Better than 308 and has minimal felt recoil, I like it for precision rig.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
At one time I was really interested in the 6.5 creedmoor but after reading what I could find on it I decided it didn't give me anything I already didn't have in 308 or 270win. Sure if I was going to shoot past 1000 yards on a regular basis it may give me a slight advantage but who does that, not many.
Don't get me wrong I think it's a really good round but I also think it was overhyped by gun manufacturers to sell more rifles. So is has the 6.5 cm craze died down or is it still the hot ticket item of the gun world.
Still sells great. Maybe it will fade but I don't see any evidence of that occurring anytime soon.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
I don't think most 6.5CM buyers care how it stacks up against your .270.
It's a very good long range precision cartridge and that's why it's popular. It's a decent hunting round too, but it is overlapped by dozens of others.
You'll notice very few 270s or even 308s at precision matches these days.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, the magic has left. Maybe the 6 Creedmoor or the .224 Valkyrie will become the new hotness.

The 6mm Creedmoor has even less recoil than the 6.5 due to lighter bullets while maintaining acceptable bullet ballistic coefficients for typical ranges.

The .224 Valkyrie is a cartridge more capable than the 5.56 at throwing heavier bullets out of the AR platform. This makes a formidable deer sized game rifle and 1,000 yard target rifle in one.

The above was very tongue in cheek. I’m a middle aged old fudd when it comes to this stuff. Whatever rifle you’ve got will probably do anything you can do with a rifle. These new rounds are primarily designed to get people who already own a 260 Remington to buy the 6.5 Creedmoor. Sure the new one may be “better” in a few ways but it will perform identically for practically 100% of shooters.
I'm 59 and been shooting pretty much my whole life. I was thinking that if I was a younger new shooter I might be be more of a 6.5 fan but after shooting 308 and 270 for years I don't see a need to switch. I do like the 6.5 cm just think it was overhyped.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, It does some things Better than 308 and has minimal felt recoil, I like it for precision rig.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
You can always find a round that does some things better than the X ( name your round). No round does everything.
I agree the 6.5 has some advantages in long range precision shooting but it's not like a night and day difference.

Reactions: Big1

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't think most 6.5CM buyers care how it stacks up against your .270.
It's a very good long range precision cartridge and that's why it's popular. It's a decent hunting round too, but it is overlapped by dozens of others.
You'll notice very few 270s or even 308s at precision matches these days.
I didn't say anything against 6.5 shooters and I'm sure I'm not the only 270 fan on here. I already said 6.5 has an advantage with long range shooting.

Reactions: Kentucky Shooter

·
17,582 Posts
It's as good if not better than the 6.5 swede because the ballistics are identical but the Creedmoor chamber is optimized for accuracy with less freebore in the chamber and has more standardization in the chamber dimensions and is available in a more rigid short action and available in more rifles.

Personally I think the larger Hornady 6.5 PRC is a better cartridge because it comes very close to matching the ballistics of the 6.5-284 and 264 Win mag but with longer barrel life but it's never going to catch on like the 6.5 Creedmoor did.

And as a hunting cartridge any of the 6.5's are superior to the 6mm CM or the 22 Valkerie because of heavier projectiles up to 140 grain weight with excellent sectional density

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the 6.5 cm but I don't think it is the end all round either that it was portrayed as when it came out. It appears to me the 6.5 has found its place and settled in among all the other rounds, 308, 270, 260, 7mm-08 and so on.
I don't think the cm is dying out but it seems to me the glamour is fading.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I think the Valkyrie is already on the down slide. The Creedmoor makes more sense to me, but I already have two 6.5 Swedes, so no need.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I chose the 7mm-08 over the 6.5 CM in a Ruger American for my last bolt deer gun purchase
Been happy with my choice so far.....

·
Director of civil unrest
9,210 Posts
Did you use logic to make that decision?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like my 6.5, but truthfully 308 performs better at 500 yds or less. Most will never shoot past 500. If distance shooting is your thing than sure, but if hunting then stick with your 308.
I believe a lot of people who jumped on the Creedmoor band wagon have discovered the samething. Wonder haw many who sold their 308s to get the 6.5 are having second thoughts now.

·
Director of civil unrest
9,210 Posts
I believe a lot of people who jumped on the Creedmoor band wagon have discovered the samething. Wonder haw many who sold their 308s to get the 6.5 are having g second d thoughts now.
I caught a lot of flames for my opinion of all this caliber jumping on various forums. I never fell for it.
If you really and I mean REALLY read all of the comparison literature of all these super, duper, high speed, low drag wonder rounds, you'll find that the purchase of a whole new gun, reloading dies and whatever else you get talked into is definitely NOT worth a 2-4% gain in performance. And yeah, how many people that bought into the hype actually need it anyway? Pfft! Not for me. My antiquated .30-'06, .308 and .30-30 do everything I'd ever need to do with a rifle.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts