close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

is the 45 gap going extinct ?? any body using it ??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by john31125, Feb 8, 2012.

1. john31125

john31125

i was thinking about a g38 and i think the idea of the gap round is great but its not popular. i wanna know who feels this round will eventually be exinct or will it stay around bc of whatever reason?? is there any leo agencies using thios round and likeing it better than others . i have 45acp but wanter slimmer more hicap 45 in glock thanks

2. g22gen4

g22gen4

You will basically hear most ppl say they can find stock of it locally but not in massive supply's althought buying it online doesn't seem to be a huge issue and that only people who don't even have gap's speak negatively of them

3. owl6roll

owl6roll

I've been reading and kinda like what I've read so far. Any shootings as of yet?? I know some folks don't like it, but I'm open minded and would like to hear thoughts on it.

4. 9L0ck

9L0ck

Wait Danny R will be around any minute to say the glories of the gap round. He also knows what PDs are using gap.

5. tonyparson

tonyparson

I was ordering my GAP ammo online but while I was at my local gun shop I ask the owner if he would start stocking GAP ammo and he said not a problem. I get it now for the same price as .45 ACP from him..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  6. Orive 8

Orive 8

While shooting my retired officers qualification last November, the Range Master and ROs where PA Troopers.

I asked them how they and their Troopers liked the Glock 37 - they stated that they really liked them. One told me - what is not to like about having 11 rounds of .45 cal in a Glock 17 size grip/frame.

7. Deye76

Deye76

Wait surfboard will be around any minute to report it went belly up years ago.

8. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Since getting my G37 in October (love it by the way), I have had no problems finding GAP ammo anywhere I have looked. Cabelas.com, Cabelas in store, one local little gun shop, and one further away and larger gun shop. I can't remember if I've seen it at Wally World. I've bought and shot about 2,000 rounds. I've found both FMJ and JHP versions and in two grains 230 and 185 I think.

So, :rofl: yes I'm a GAP supporter and pusher!

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Five of our fifty State Police Agencies have adopted the G37--that's 10% using a single model Glock. The agencies are NY, PA, SC, GA and FL. FL uses the Gen4 G37. There was a shooting in NY where the lady trooper credited the G37 for saving her life with a 1 shot stop.

Is the .45GAP dying, yes but only after the .357Sig and 10mm have died.

10. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^this for the most part.

11. Slug71

Slug71

G38 is awesome! MUCH better than the G36 IMO. I hated mine(G36).
    More comfortable than the G30 for me too. Shoots very similar.

12. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

The test will be when these weapons go EOL and it's time to replace them. Glock came in with a sweetheart deal last time to try and push the GAP into the market place. Will they do so again? Or will S&W try and out Glock, Glock.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

That's not saying much since those models are the only GAP pistols still made!

14. NIB

NIB

I would like to see the updated number of local agencies that are either still using the .45 GAP or have dropped it. Toting the same 5 state agencies year after year gets old. I know there was a dealer a few years ago that maybe had a couple of hundred used police trade-in G37s.

15. mrsurfboard

Exactly, and more importantly, how many of these 5 will stay with the GAP when their current guns go EOL and Glock isn't offering the great deal they originally got.

16. Deye76

Deye76

"yes I'm a GAP supporter and pusher!"
    Same here.

Majority of those that knock it haven't tried it.

17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Perhaps...

Glock is the only manufacturer of a weapon that shoots .45 GAP. When they decide the market is too small, there won't be any manufacturers. If I were interested in GAP, I would be saving my brass!

.357 SIG and 10mm are available from several manufacturers and in my view have more staying power. The 10mm was always Jeff Cooper's ideal cartridge so I imagine it stays around forever. I'm not so sure about the .357 SIG.

In my view, the extra 1/8" of cartridge length for the .45 ACP is just not a factor in gun size. Glock has realized the error of their ways and built the G21SF to get the grip size down to something reasonable. The G36 is another example of a gun with dimished round count but with a reasonable grip size. I don't know anything about the G30...

I am an ACP shooter and have been for many years so I have no interest in GAP. For those who do, save your brass!

Richard

18. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Not going extinct.

People are using it.

If you like the G38, and can be patient, I'd wait a couple of months. Rumor has it that the Gen4 G38 is just around the corner.

Even if you don't want a Gen4, you might get a good deal on a Gen3 that somebody is selling to finance their Gen4.

Frankly? I think the Gen4 G38 is just about the absolute best idea in firearms out there. A grip the size of a Gen4 G19 shooting a .45? 8+1 capacity. That's a real good carry piece.

19. mrsurfboard

Really? A M&P 45c is the same size as a G19 (grip as well), has 8+1 capacity and shoots the proven, more popular and more widely available 45ACP round. So how is the single source GAP pistol the absolute best idea in firearms again?

20. tonyparson

tonyparson

Because Glock is 10 times better then a S&W M&P...:dunno: