Is the 40 S&W a dead caliber?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nursetim, Nov 11, 2019.

1. DrewBone

DrewBone

No. But I suggest that you use this latest phallacy to your advantage and purchace near new and new quality handguns chambered in this caliber from respectable firearm manufacturers such as Glock, Beretta, S&W, H&K, Sig, etc., for very good, sometimes almost obscene prices. I own many, and due to my particular fondness of the 357sig cartridge, I find these otherwise deemed useless or dead .40S&W's very appealing as 2 sometimes 3 caliber handguns, the latter often undertaken with just a simple barrel/mag/maybe extractor swap in regards to their successful conversions to 9mm.

For many years I've happily been dealing with firearms and I've always done as I pleased and have never allowed gun shop chatter or the latest trends to direct me when purchasing any firearm, in any caliber. Many other calibers have withstood the test of "times" and are still available and viable, yet are these calibers somehow now useless? Hardly, especially when many here proudly post images of and relay how they're so happy that they can pocket carry their Glock 42's in .380acp - for their own protection. What the...???

You have a mind of your own tim, so please put it to good use instead of allowing other people's brains to project into yours freely, or dictate or direct your thoughts and actions for you ;)

2. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I was just thinking about buying a S&W MP40 2.0 Compact with thumb safety.

But I usually lag 5 - 15 years behind the cool kids.

Regards,
    Happyguy:)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Maccabeus likes this.

3. Lagamor

Lagamor

Tactical Tommy shoots nothing but nine because it’s the bestest.

4. Lagamor

Lagamor

Tactical Tommy waxes on and on about how superior the nine is and then shoots the cheapest made Russian crap he can find online.

5. Lagamor

Lagamor

Tactical Tommy wears tactical pants, skinner jean style because they are aerodynamic.
    He looks like the one white extra in a Micheal Jackson video.

SargeMO likes this.
  6. UncleDave

UncleDave

Yes, it has been my experience that the LGS tells me 40S&W is dead. :p

It's "dead" because the FBI and other LE agencies are trading them in and moving to 9mm for economical and training/qualification purposes. Although, I'm not finding evidence that in it's heyday with cops in the US, it was ever anywhere near as popular as 9mm among enthusiasts in the US and worldwide during that time. 9mm has always been king in that regard. Like now, many civilians jump on the LE bandwagon and use what the cops use.

I find it weird that, for such a crappy cartridge, all those unpopular 40S&W trade-ins that nobody wants seem to sell pretty quickly at the wholesalers when first offered. I guess price dictates what people will buy more that the chambering. IMHO that's the main reason why 9mm is, and always will be, the most popular cartridge. But all those old 40's are going somewhere, and there needs to be ammo available for them for the foreseeable future.

I also find it weird that the same people who call 40S&W "Short & Weak" will complain about the stout recoil and how it batters the gun, then shoot the most potent +P and +P+ they can find through their 9mm and claim 9mm is "better." And they somehow don't have a problem with the greater recoil from a similarly-sized 45ACP pistol. But if someone realizes that a particular size pistol and a particular caliber are right for them based on their own performance with it, and their budget, then I won't disparage them. 9mm apparently fits those needs for more people. It's cheap, and fun, compact and economical.

But back to the LGS issue, if nobody is buying 40S&W, it's partly because nobody is selling it. It's not the high-volume money maker that 9mm is, and not as old-school American cool as 45ACP, and not as potent a niche round as 10mm. And it never was, not even when it enjoyed widespread use in law enforcement.

But I like an underdog, and all this talk about the death of 40S&W has prompted me to start building my collection of 40's again. :)

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

8. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

40 S&W isn’t going to die off. Way too many pistols out there in that caliber. It’s here to stay and it’s a fine pistol caliber.

hogship likes this.
  9. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

Don't know want they are talking about.

10. UncleDave

UncleDave

Z71bill likes this.
  11. Dave514

Dave514

Maybe views update on a different cycle when they are members, thread participants or non member views. I just thought it was strange.

12. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

Do niners want all other calibers to die and make perfect nine world?

David Guillory, nursetim and happyguy like this.
  13. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

They are just looking for validation.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Lagamor likes this.
  14. 2bgop

2bgop

All I needed to read was, "at the LGS". The is no amount of bull**** that would surprise me after starting a sentence with those words.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1

I like the slow and fat 40sw specially found of there 155gr load at 1300fps . Never found recoil to be that different from a good 9mm load but I have 9mm's too as when a smaller pistol is wanted to help keep round count up and like 45acp enough to carry a lw commander on occasion .

Wait till the next generation of shooters comes to be of age and they will want a 3.5 or 4" double stack full grip 380acp as 9mm to hard to shoot well and to snappy !!

nursetim likes this.
  16. evlbruce

evlbruce

Anything shot by .455 Webley is truly dead.

byf43 likes this.
  17. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Nowhere near dead in my house.

18. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers No Stock Glock's

The two shops I deal with will not take in anything in 40 on trade. That is about all I know about it, really don't care either.

My self defense pistols are either 9mm, 38 Super, or a couple 45 acp. My revolvers are all over the place, from 38 Special to 480 Ruger, the 40 S&W or 357 Sig was never my thing. :dunno:

Dead, nope....

........but it was never really alive with me.:p

Teecher45 and nursetim like this.
  19. 1L26

1L26

Mind you I do like 40 cal. Is it dead? Probably not! I'd like to find a CZ P-06 (40 cal) at a reasonable price to add to my safe!

20. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

In this area, the .40 S&W is alive and well.
    Glock and/or S&W M&P pistols are carried by local LEOs.
    (My son-in-law is a Federal LEO and has to carry his issued G22 on and off-duty.)

The almost dead (and not on life support) is the .45 GAP and .357 Sig.
    I've NEVER seen either caliber firearm or ammo in any local shops/stores around here. (100 mile radius.)

I just passed up the S&W Shield rebates on a 9mm. Yeah..... I'd like to have one, but, not running to buy it.
    My .40 Shield will continue to be my carry pistol, and the G23 and G22 are in the safe, alongside the G26, G17, Beretta 92FS, and all of the .45 acp pistols.

The .40 works for me and the Shield is quite controllable.

hogship likes this.