Glock 32 Is the 357 Sig ctg. hard on guns?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TN.Frank, Aug 12, 2018.

1. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

Just read an article about thebM&P full size having issues in 357 Sig caliber. The M&P was built around the 40 S&W round, unlike the Glock handguns that are modified 9mm handguns. So my question is, Will the 357 Sig Glocks hold up or will they have issues same as the Smith and Wesson guns?

2. -JCN-

-JCN-

These days they'll hold up.

Early on, they had frame battering problems... but have been beefed up and are GTG from Gen 3 and on. Some people upgrade the recoil spring strength, but not strictly necessary.

Glad to see you came across what I was telling you about SW 40-357 conversions not being a great idea. No go in the MP2.0.

3. TN.Frank

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with my plans to get the G32.

-JCN- likes this.
  4. TnShooter0083

TnShooter0083

Do you have link to the article?
    I like to read it.

SHORT ANSWER: Yes. I think it is.

LONG ANSWER: If you care to get an idea of how much "harder".
    PS: You'll need slide and barrel weights to figure it out.

I feel that it is harder on the pistol. But once you start getting into 135gr. high velocity rounds for the 40S&W it starts getting closer to even.

There is a formula to calculate approximate slide velocity. I don't have the numbers for the correct weights on slide/barrel in each glock caliber.

If you do obtain the weights, fell free to do the calculation in post #26 provided in the link below.
    You can obtain the powder data from Nosler.
    https://load-data.nosler.com

Slide velocity calculation
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/how-fast-does-the-slide-move.477388/page-2

That all being said. I do have a G33.
    So I have some experience with 357 Sig

-JCN- likes this.
  5. TN.Frank

6. TnShooter0083

TnShooter0083

7. Mike-M

Mike-M

I hear that moon phase and tide level adversely affect 357SIG wear on Kazakhstani polymer Makarov revolvers. I'll see if I can find a link to another five-year-old internet web page about it that I can pretend applies to Glock pistols that have used 357SIG for 20 years. :)

8. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Glock 357 Sigs are good for at least 50,000 rounds (with factory RSA) before some minor wear starts to show according to one study I have seen. I will never come close to putting that many rounds through one handgun, especially since the ammo cost would be around $20,000.00!

Bottom line, you have the best all around handgun on the planet with the G32! Rejoice in your wisdom to purchase one.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    -JCN-, Gunsnguitars and Airwolf21 like this.
  9. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Howdy Frank, if you did not get the 32 what would you get?

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

I believe he’s selling the 31 and 33 as he’s had them for a couple months.

Sooo how many .357 sig rounds do you shoot per annum?

-JCN- likes this.
  11. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

MO is I doubt it's any worse than 40 S&W considering the power factor for each round is nearly the same with the .40 having the potential to have higher PF numbers when getting into +P. If you can afford to wear out a Glock using .357 Sig, then you can afford to just buy a new gun when it does wear out. My educated guess is it will take a minimum of $12,000 worth of store bought, .357 Sig to get some good wear on a Glock that shoots that round.

Pandaz3 and -JCN- like this.
  12. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

This is never a bad idea if your brass goes into the next zip code and/or you're getting too much slide bottoming recoil. Really tuning the RSA to match the power of the round, simply put, makes the gun handle better. I'm more concerned with that than a little bottoming hurting a Glock. I realize some have shown Glock frames with peening due to excessive bottoming, but I wonder how much +P they shot or how long they went without changing the RSA?

happie2shoot, -JCN- and AdamRodgers like this.
  13. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

A long time family friend is a N.C Highway Patrolman, back when the M&P's first came out they switched over to them. Well it wasn't but a couple of years they went back to Sig's in .357 Sig. The pistol's had allot of problems for those fellows, but from what I understand they were shooting the snot outta them.

I had a first Gen M&P in .357 Sig. I put about 6,500 to 7,000 rounds outta her before I sold it to a good friend. I did replace the recoil spring assembly in it about every 2,000 to 2,500 rounds. Never had a problem with that piece, & my friend is still my friend, and has that pistol to this day. He keeps the R.S.A changed in it about like I did and he don't mind running the piss out of that pistol.

Honestly I believe the M&P first gen was a okay pistol, but a Glock it is not, now the new Second Gen M&P I like those pistol's allot. I shoot a bunch of +p+ ammo outta a G17 and I haven't had the first day's problem with that pistol. I do run a heavier spring in her whenever I'm shooting 9BPLE or the +p+ Speer load's outta it. I go back to a factory spring for carry or home defense .

I wouldn't have any problems with a Glock in .357 Sig, infact I'm wanting to get either one in 10mm or in .357 Sig.

Hope this helps a bit. :supergrin:

happie2shoot and -JCN- like this.
  14. Gunsnguitars

Gunsnguitars

I haven't heard of any issues in regards to .357sig being hard on guns, but I have heard of them being really hard on bad guys.

15. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

why not get both?:supergrin:

Steady Glockin and -JCN- like this.
  16. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

Why that sounds like a hell of idea!
    :cheers:

-JCN- likes this.
  17. TnShooter0083

TnShooter0083

I did have family member that is in the Tennessee Highway Patrol. They were issued G31Gen 4 and G33. I did ask him if he had heard of any issues. He said, he had not heard of nor experienced any. The only thing he did have to do was take his in for a RSA. He was not sure why the department replaced the RSA. Maybe precautionary measure?

He has no idea on the round count of his G31.

I don't have enough rounds through my G33 to give
    you a realistic opinion. If it were a G22 or G19 I could offer a good opinion. I don't really think anything under 1000 rounds is worth making an opinion on. Any decent pistol should go way beyond 1000 rounds. I consider it a start.

gp23 likes this.
  18. weblance

weblance

The Smith & Wesson 357sig pistols had issues. It has been reported, confirmed, and S&W has discontinued offering 357sig chambered pistols.

Glock has offered pistols chambered in 357sig for more than 20 years now, with minimal reported issues, and continues to offer them for sale. I would say based on results from the field, the Glock 357sig pistols are Good To Go

happie2shoot and Railsplitter like this.
  19. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

For all practical purposes I would say the 357 Sig wear count is about equal to the .40.

Anyone have a round count on a Glock .40?

20. 1canvas

1canvas

Reading all the posts posted by Chowser I think wearing out a Glock 357Sig is a non issue.