close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is the 17L an accurate gun? Porting?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WEATHERBY460, Mar 16, 2012.

1. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

I am thinking about the 17L...is it accurate? Do all the models have the cut out on top of the barrel in front? If so, who do you recommend to port it and which style? I plan to use a red dot sight, so i dont care about the front sight getting dirty. please share opinions...thanks

2. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

As accurate as you can shoot. I have not and will not port mine, being a 9mm it's recoil is extremely mild. Buy one, as they are an extremely pleasant gun to shoot.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I owned a factory ported 1988 G17L, and the porting is not necessary. All 17L's have the cutout in the slide, which is for weight reduction. Same for the G24, G34 and G35 slides.

4. barth

barth six barrels

I saw the slide and assumed all the barrels were ported - LOL!
    Good to know...

5. SCC

SCC Member Me

the first ones did have the ports !!!

6. DeLo

DeLo

port a 9mm....that ish cray.

7. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

I purchased a new gen3 g17L 2 weeks ago on am implies and am trying to sell it now. Only put 34 rounds through it but my regret isn't with the pistol itself, it's with my going in with the intention of buying another firearm I can conceal. Instead I bought the long slide. Lol

8. thedave8

thedave8

how much?

9. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

10. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

Porting is definately a waste... I have a g24 and it is very soft shooting,. The 17l will be even more so...no point I wouldn't want to give up any velocity (which porting would)...

11. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

what is some accurate ammo for the 17L...thanks

12. sk2324us

sk2324us

My 9mm Glocks, 17, 17L and 26 all seem to like Remington best.

13. Trgtguy

Trgtguy

Don't know if all 17L s are like mine ,but it really likes 147 JHP Gold Dots. and WW.Box FMJ 115 Gr. Most 115 Grain JHPs are over speed for this long barrel ,and usually are not as accurate and tend to come out looking like pancakes from too much expansion and don't penetrate as good as the 147s.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  14. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

would porting actually slow down the velocity?

15. C0untZer0

C0untZer0

Generally porting is going to decrease your velocity by about 20 fps - but that's generally

There are different kinds of porting, you can see that just by looking on barrel mfgs websites.

You'd have to put it through a chrono. There is at least one person on this forum who has a ported barrel - I think its KKM? and his bullets are clocking pretty high velocity out of his gun.

The recoil is mild on the 17L and it doesn't need to be ported, on the other hand, even 22s are ported for competition, it's to compensate and reduce barrel rise. How much would that add to accuracy? Maybe from a bench rest it would make a slight difference - probably no where near as important as proper and consistent trigger squeeze.

The Glock is a $600 gun. Dropping a longer and ported barrel in one isn't going to suddenly allow it to outperform a SIG P210 Legend Target or P226 X-Six, or a 6" S&W Model 952 from a Ransom rest...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  16. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Aaaaaaaand yet another thread about ported GLOCK pistols, with replies from people that have absolutely no idea what porting is for, and what it does and doesn't do.

OP, do not listen to one bit of information about porting above my post, not one person posting so far knows what the hell they're talking about.

Are there any specific questions you have on porting? I would suggest buying a factory ported barrel from GLOCK.

17. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

Well don't keep us on the edge of our seats. Share your infinite wisdom with the degenerate proles.

18. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I own a enjoy a G17C, it's simply awesome, but it irritates me they lable them with a "C", when they're not compensated. Below is a post I made about compensators and ports, so I thought it would be easy to just re-post it.

GLOCK has deliberately decided, for marketing reasons, to incorrectly describe their ported pistols as compensated, when they're clearly not.

Compensators are various types of mechanical devices that get added to the end of a weapon's muzzle to change both recoil and muzzle-rise/flip characteristics. Porting (which is what C model GLOCKs have) are slots cut into the barrel to vent gases upward, strictly changing the muzzle rise/flip characteristics, not the recoil characteristics.

The one thing that GLOCK does have correct in their C Model description, is that they never mention anything about reducing recoil, because porting does not reduce recoil. What porting does is reduce muzzle flip/rise, enabling faster accurate shooting.

THESE ARE COMPENSATORS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THIS IS PORTING:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GLOCK's marketing of their ported pistols as "C" or "compensated" models is complete b.s. And if you pay very close attention, GLOCK refers to their porting as an "integrated" compensator. GLOCK is just playing around with words to make their C models sound like more than they really are to un-educated consumers. It's just "creative" marketing used to create additional perceived value. Actual compensators can cost some big money, and porting is pretty cheap to do.

One final note, just to screw with everyone's head.

Although there are some compensators that are basically nothing more than weights added to the muzzels of firearms, some compensators do have ports milled into them. Therfore, there are compensators, ported compensators, and other types of compensators, like the ones on Barret 50BMG rifles.

19. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Point out the misinformation in this thread prior to you arriving. At a quick glance I don't see any. Doesn't mean there isn't, just trying to see what was misrepresented.

20. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Did you read my post above about porting? If so, then you can go back through everyone elses posts and see the incorrect assumptions, lack of experience and knowledge. Of course, if you owned a C model GLOCK pistol, had the experience and knowledge, you would be chiming in with me instead of questioning me.