Is the 10mm less reliable because of the case length?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by alfred10, Sep 27, 2020.

1. tango44

tango44

Glock 20 = 100% reliable, enough said!

LinuxLover likes this.
  2. spork

spork Caffeinator

My experience is limited to the Glock 20, but I have found it to be utterly reliable with extensive range time and a diverse array of loads.

Greg Snyder and LinuxLover like this.

3. Gokyo

Gokyo

Actually no.

9mm is a tapered case.

10mm, 40sw, 45 Acp, 380acp, 32 Acp all have straight walls.

Pretty sure my memory on this is correct.

4. tango44

tango44

5. Gokyo

Gokyo

thank you for backing me on this.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    tango44 likes this.
  6. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I can say with confidence having owned most every obtainable 10MM offering besides the xd model with multiples of the Glock offerings I've never had a malfunction of any kind. Have even ran 40's thru most, never a failure. I have complete confidence in the reliability of the 10MM firearms, bullet design and ammo wether manufactured or those I've reloaded, hollowpoint or big old metplat they flat out run!

LinuxLover likes this.
  7. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I dunnow. There's something missing here in your general assumption....

I can reliably hit a 9" paper plate at 43 yards, single handed, and do a 15+1rd mag dump in less than 4 seconds with 13+ rds on the plate - and maybe - inconsistently just a couple of fliers.

OK - that's my right (on) hand and I'm not as good with my left, but I'm working on that. Betting my life in a nasty situation - right- or left-handed --- I need to know that I can reliably get all those rounds downrange into an area the size of a bear's head even though the bear is rapidly advancing.

Imagining for the nonce that single-handed shooting might create a "limp wrist" - after all there's only one wrist involved --- I just don't get that happenstance, er ... happening.

I have YET to pipe a single round in my G20.4 ... even with 180 or 200gr Sellers & Bellot, 180 or 200gr Armscor, and a few others of whom the names escape me at the moment.

I train that way. I have to. I'm scared poop-less for what a black bear can do - and a Griz likely WILL do if they encounter me. So far - my training hasn't reaped any mass killings of Montana Bears - there is no blood trail.

I WILL, however, drop one that snarls or snorts or does the Mashed Potatoes (that's a dance for all the Gen-z and Millenials out there).

My anti-bear round is the Underwood XP and I'm also betting me on that too.

SIDEBAR: one thing I notice is that if I allow my shooting hand to twist to the side like one sees in all the gansta and drug dealer flicks --- I seem to have a lot less memory of any recoil at all.

Target-wise, it seems to make no real difference although the cyclic rate seems to be a tad faster with the sights lying sideways.

Is this a natural shooting proclivity or just a happenstance of my own?

Feedback?

8. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I gotta believe the OP's concern is the length of the cartridge chambering in a short space. The cartridge never gets to an angle, chambering, that would cause it to hang up, anywhere. I could see where a .357 mag might get hung up due to case length, but not 10mm. 10mm is basically the same OAL as a .45 acp and all the 45 acp Glocks feed reliably.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Borg Warner likes this.
  9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

I stand corrected. However, straight wall cases don't feeding problems either. The 45 ACP never had any difficulty even under full-auto fire in the Thompson or the Grease gun.

harold63 likes this.
  10. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

11. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Davy, or Sonny? :cowboy:

boilergonzo likes this.
  12. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

It got me, too. I had to edit my post before someone came on and said 'mama's wrong again'.

13. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Either. I'm sure Davy would have LOVED one of those. :)

14. gunowner1

gunowner1

Absolutely beautiful piece of hardware!

Scott1970 likes this.
  15. 4949shooter

4949shooter

And the 9mm Luger, Parabellum, 9x19, etc. is an excellent feeding cartridge. 9mm Glocks are among the best 9mm's in the world if not THE best. The tapered case does not hurt the feeding, and only enhances it.

16. K31Scout

K31Scout

I have a 6" KKM barrel in my G20 which has a smaller chamber than the OEM Glock barrel and it has been 100% reliable for 100's of hand loads from XTP's and coated lead bullets. I would expect the OEM to even more forgiving than the KKM.

17. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Are you a hunting guide?

18. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

If Davey had a 10mm, they'd have to rewrite the song to : "Killed him a bar, when he was only two... Daveeeeeeee, Davy Crocket. King of the Wild Frontier"!

To the OP, I don't think any of us have concern about 10mm and reliability. My G20 is not fussy and does not have any issues.

19. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Not really --- perhaps a "self-guided fishing tracker who occasionally finds he has also guided himself to a bear" - type person.

I don't hunt since my dad died and I just don't care to any more.

Fishing - that and actually having air that I can breathe - is why I moved to Montana after I retired and would not be another ex-pat looking for a job in an already stuffed-full work market here in Montana.

Don't come to Montana looking for work - there isn't any. A "BIG" salary is $15/hr for most high tech jobs.

Syclone0538 likes this.
  20. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Gotcha. Some people are a lot more afraid of bears then they actually need to be, I was wondering if you had a specific reason to be.

I got way too close to one in the Tetons (so it was used to people) on accident, and it completely ignored us.