close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is slavery still alive and well in the USA?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RustyShackelford, Aug 20, 2012.

1. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

2. fitz4609

fitz4609 Gold Member

Whoops, I landed in the wrong place.

I thought this was a marriage thread.

3. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

The people with jobs are the slaves.

The people on the dole are the slave masters.

4. Minnow

Minnow

Servitude is allowed as punishment for a crime in the United States. The 13th amendment is clear on this, nothing new here.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Mixed feelings. He didn't bail himself out while being painted as a middle-class guy caught in the crossfire.

Except he threatened his family with a gun and then a school official. . . and discharged his gun in the commission.

BUT, he's just awaiting sentencing.

I guess I land on the, "The other solution is to leave his sorry ass in a cell for 23 hours a day and tell him to go SFTU. If it were me, I'd work 3 jobs just to get out of my cell" square. I can't care more about this on either end.

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Awaiting trial, not convicted. That's the catch in this case.

7. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

Honestly.....i dont care if scumbag cons work for $0.01 an hour. Especially people who try to kill thier own families.....shoot dont even pay them. Its called hard time for a reason. Whoever wrote this article is a dumbass.

8. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

He may or may not have done these things, but the charges were dropped. According to the law, he is innocent of any crime.

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

The article says he had a choice- work or solitary. They still feed you in solitary, don't they?

10. skinny99

skinny99 Crew Chief

I am mixed also. I am usually a very big supporter of if you can't do the time don't do the crime. But this guy wasn't convicted yet. And I do believe very strongly in innocent until proven guilty. So I think we have to be a little more careful.

11. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

That's a catch indeed.

12. Minnow

Minnow

Ok. Didn't see the link on my phone the first time.
    So he worked in the laundry while awaiting trial, because he couldn't afford to bond out. If he chose not to work, he would have to go to solitary confinement. I don't agree with this policy. A pretrial inmate does have a right to refuse a job while in jail if he/she chooses to without further punishment.

13. Minnow

Minnow

True. But some would view being thrown into solitary for not taking the job as a punishment.

14. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

The only issue I have is that he wasn't a "convict" - he was awaiting trial. That said, it's not like doing laundry was capital punishment.

The article did not appear to be written from an objective perspective. I detected a little bit of a slant (calling the prison guards the guy's "captors" for instance).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The article is fine. It mentions pretrial slavery, which is illegal. Apparently the author of it read the 13th Amendment before shouting about it.

RustyShackelford, on the other hand, complains about slavery in "the prison systems in the USA" - which is so legal that the constitution expressly says it is legal.

The point of the article, which was pretty clear, was that the guy was not "duly convicted" yet. The prison system houses people who HAVE been duly convicted.

16. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

I believe in innocent until proven guilty, however jail is jail, not the Holiday Inn. Dealing with the amount of people most jails deal with, I think segregating inmates based on whether they are pending trial or not would be even worse for the state. Treat every inmate as an equal, guilty or not, and you are less likely to open yourself up to lawsuits. I do think that one should have a few more options than the laundry room or the hole though.
    Scott

17. JW1178

JW1178

Most of the time, work is optional for prisoners.

Anyways, SLAVERY sounds like a good punishment for those who do really bad crimes. Since you stole someone else's life, we take yours, but we don't kill you, we sell you as property and instead of paying out to take care of you, we make money off of you.

18. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Prison labor is not slave labor.

But there are many real slaves all over the world and in the USA. Mostly people of a given faith from the middle east and Northern Africa who bring their slaves with them to the US - mostly as personal servants.

19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I know some inmates liked to get on the road work crews. They got out of the prison, made some cash, looked good to the parol board and socialized them with the outside before their release.

Inmates were upset when those jobs went to guys working off community service instead of inmates. Some inmates will do anything instead of just sitting out the years.

But a more direct answer is, yes we still have slavery in the US. Nothing to do with prisons. Human trafficking, sex trade, forced servitude are all over the world including here. It is all sitting just under the radar.

20. Dragoon189

Dragoon189

'Involuntary labor,' he could have chosen the hole, there was a choice.