Is seventy too old to adopt a dog?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MurrayNevada, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Jonesee

Jonesee

70s is not too old. My dad is in his 80s. He just adopted a little mutt puppy that was abandoned when someone moved. I hear about its adventures every time we talk.

That is his 5th dog. The rest were dumped around the farm over the years. Most are getting old now but he and my mom love them and care for them.

Just have a plan for the dog if you and wife should pass. (my adult son loves the new puppy and will likely get it)

Batesmotel likes this.
  2. mc1911

mc1911

Adopt an older dog.

jimcorbin, techiej and GlockFan7 like this.

3. thewitt

thewitt

I would not start with a puppy, but there are lots of great dogs waiting for an owner to adopt them.

Go for it!

lazarus66 and GlockFan7 like this.
  4. CBennett

CBennett

No...but that said why not also look for a older dog? ive seen quite a few around here with cats and dogs that were surrenders because their owners got too old or moved into nursing homes that didnt allow them..the animals are normally between 8-15 years old themselves....those are hard to adopt out because everyone wants a puppy or kitten. Give a older dog or cat a shot and share your "golden years" together!

I know if I didnt have 2 cats already this is what I would be doing. I love all these animals BUT thses older ones that have to be rehomed..it makes me sad....just the other day I saw a cat that was 12 years old and had been at the SPCA for 9 of those 12 years....I wanted so badly to go get him :)

These are the guys and gals id be giving a look!

pgg00 and GlockFan7 like this.
  5. Pluto57

Pluto57

The last dog we fostered was adopted by a couple in their 80s. They travel a lot in an RV and we occasionally get pictures from them. The rescue organization did ask them if they had a plan for their dogs in the event of their demise. They did. Of course, most rescue organizations consider all their dogs theirs forever. If you kick off before the dog, they would likely take the dog back if that was the only option.

GlockFan7 likes this.
  6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Is seventy too old to adopt a dog?

Heck NO! I'm 82 and have a Dog and three house cats.

If anything the dog will extend your life. (I say as I get up from the chair for the 200th time a day to open the door for the Dog).
    There's no telling the amount of exercise I get (night and day) from these pets.

Me being alone, the company of my Dog and Cats can't be measured.

7. Aahzz

Aahzz Who?

Add me to the "adopt a senior dog" crowd. I'm only 51, but we just adopted a 10-year old border collie/newfoundland mix from our local shelter and she's just a complete love bug. With an older dog you get one that's already house trained, and most likely much calmer.

Here's our Dixie:

IMG_5130.jpg

8. Lithium

Lithium

No not too old. I had surgery last month and am walking with.a cane. I would think twice about a very active and roughhouse type dog tho (I have a Doberman).

I’m not very steady on my feet right now and my dobe can easily knock me over...I would be very cautious about that so you do not get injured by a larger/active dog if you choose a larger dog.

Do give a homeless dog his forever home please.

9. napp32

napp32

Don't try to talk yourself into dying early. I'll be 83 next month. If it weren't for my dogs, I'd probably already be dead. After all, you do have to get up every morning to feed them.
    20140125_020611 Bear and Alli.jpg

10. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

As I've related, I have been an invalid for almost all of the last year due to a broken kneecap (second time). I am turning 70 in May. I (foolishly) had hopes of training another bird dog, so we got an 18 mo. GWP. She is really, really active and I am not. She turns 2 next month. As I am almost healed, she will make me be active once I am fully up and around. Wife still works, so keeping her healthy will fall to me. I am also an ex-biologist, so I cannot imagine life w/o a dog!

All that background being said, we do have some problems: barking, mild aggression between dogs, needing affection (she's a big puppy @ 80 lbs.). I would seriously recommend you consider: your activity level & family history/longevity; breed of dog (primary breed if mixed); age of dog; spouse's age at feelings toward dog (in case she inherits the dog); financial situation (dogs can be expensive, especially geriatric dogs; future plans (travel, etc). and other factors unique to you and your family.

11. 1L26

1L26

I would have to say that to adopt a dog at your age would be good for both you and the dog. There is always a special place in Heaven for those who take in dogs and give them a fulfilling life! It really is a Win/Win.... Good luck!

pgg00, lazarus66 and Budqweiser like this.
  12. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

You need a dog. Adopt one.

lazarus66 and Batesmotel like this.
  13. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Only if you't still able to take care of it. Walks, etc...
    If so, absolutely adopt a pet!

14. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    You'll want to be sure it's not so big that it might eat you should you fall down and not be able to get up one day. :)

Caver 60 likes this.
  15. BassCatcher

BassCatcher

I sure hope not because we just got this little guy two weeks ago. Oh, I'm 73.

[​IMG]

16. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

If your health is pretty good, go for it.
    As stated, shelters have a lot of dogs who need a home. Missing the puppy days wouldn't be a bad thing from my perspective. Finding one a year or two old should be no problem. Spend some time with the dog before making a final choice, make sure it's not overly hyper for your taste.

17. Cosmo712

Cosmo712

Can't go wrong with a dog, while I am in my 60's my wife is 73 and talks about the "next dog we get", I remind her of the 2 we have now, a chihuahua and King Charles Spaniel, they give you a reason to get up each day !!

lazarus66 likes this.
  18. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I never knew that I needed a dog, but Jake the Wonder Dog is resting beside me as I type this. I'm single and 73 and have made formal arrangements for Jake to live right here if I croak first.

If he passes first, I'll need to get another dog. Jake has made a place in my heart and I just won't let that remain empty. That's the finest compliment I could make for Jake's unconditional love!

Absolutely...…. get a dog!

Flash

1L26 and lazarus66 like this.
  19. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Should I venture a guess that such wonderful person-ness :hearts: of you and your Better Half explains why you have, what ... 15? fuzzy faces at home (horsies n/inc'd in fuzzface total) ? :hugs:

pgg00 likes this.
  20. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Oh! OH OH OH! Just LOOK at that puppy face!
    :iloveyou: