Featured Is RTF2 really dead? Long live RTF2!

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by chriseger, Nov 15, 2015.

1. chriseger

chriseger

rtf4.jpg
    My Joker of a G22, all gilled up and aggressively textured.

In 2009, Glock came out with an updated version of their gun that featured better ergonomics named the “Rough Texture Finish, Version 2," or commonly just called RTF2, the topic of which has been a long and well talked about source of debate here among the forum.

Besides the texture, along the slide, a set of scalloped cutouts replaced the strait up and down slide serrations that had been a facet of the Glock since its introduction in the 1980s. These cutouts were shaped like thumbnails and were instantly but dubbed ‘fish gills’ by those who encountered them.

Besides the slide, the entire lower frame grip surface area was stippled in fine lines. These lines worked like non-skid and gave the gun an almost instant tackiness when picked up, eliminating complaints from those who contended the Glock sometimes got slippery when wet.

While some complained that the new grip was too abrasive to their sensitive hands, many shooters took immediately to the RTF2. The Gen 3 pistols were the pinnacle of the designs to that point, incorporating lessons learned from twenty years of making the polymer guns. That, coupled with the radical new grip offered by the RTF2 seemed a winning combination and the texture was soon seen on the 17, 19, 21SF, 22, 23, 31 and 32. (If others have been spotted in the wild, please drop them below-- with pics if you have them!)

Nevertheless, that wasn't the case as the RTF3 and finally much more subtle RTF4 series of less aggressive truncated pyramids became standard on the Gen 4 Glocks when they were introduced.

glock 22 field notes.jpg
    Getting some sun. Glocks need occasional Vitamin E too, you know.

It’s my personal favorite (hey, at least I'm honest). I have a G22 of this variety that has a documented 11,700 rounds through it with no issues other than a cracked magazine baseplate (that was my fault) and, while I have a set of replacement springs on hand, the gun still functions fine with the factory originals.

Others also fell in love with the design. In 2012, Colion Noir declared the G19 RTF2 his "IDPA gun of choice" writing a short article about it the next year after still loving it and doing a video of his gun, calling the gun "aggressive" and cautioning that its not for everyone.

(Note he also did a NSFW mashup on the discontinuation of the texture featuring an irate Hitler)

Then there was trouble in paradise.

In late 2010, Glock stated though dealers they would only sell RTF 2 Gen 3s (though without the gills) through law enforcement channels in the future as they weren't selling well to the non-law enforcement market, but were still viable in the cop market.

However, that's not entirely true. An agency whose range I use often in South Mississippi switched from the RTF2 G22 to a Gen 4/G22 after complaints the gun's texture worked pills up on their poly uniform shirts and scarred the inside of their enforcer's consoles.

Want to see a picture?

DSCF4004[1].JPG
    Yup, the same thing on the console of my ole Jeep, from my personal RTF grizzly bear. Meh. It’s a Jeep. It adds character.

Last November Larry Vickers and Lipseys announced that they would release a limited run of 5000 new RTF2 Gen 3s in FDE (is that enough abbreviations for you, or do you want more?) split between G17 and G19 models which shows at least that these guns were still in some form of production even after being "replaced" five years ago.

Word is Glock will still do special RTF2 runs such as the Vickers combo if you request them in quantity large enough for them to be worth their while.

I have an email into Smyrna to see just how big of a run that is, or if the rumor is even true.

Watch this space for updates and if you have a RTF2 with slide serrations please add it to our serial number database.

LarryNC and Will Beararms like this.
  2. TCRRT

TCRRT

It'd be mighty nice of Glock to let me send them my new G43 and have it all RTF2'd and gilled-up for free...:D Or at least for a reasonable fee. I can't find freaking 3M grip tape anywhere for some reason and even if I do, I'd rather not have to ghetto up my pistol. I've seen some very well-done 3MGT jobs, granted, but I'm not sure I'd do as well myself...

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I held an RTF2 once. My immediate impression was "way too much abrasion". I couldn't imagine shooting it. I did like the serrations though. I've always said the crappy serrations on Glocks is one of my biggest dislikes. Though they do work "ok" with grippier finishes like the matte grey.

4. TCRRT

TCRRT

I for one never really liked the thick, deep squares of the front and backstrap checkering of the Gen 2 Glocks...Now THOSE bit into my hands! The molded finger grooves of later models like my G20 felt better in general fit but still weren't always exactly comfy. I'd love a very fine gritty texture like sandpaper a lot more I think.

As far as serrations, I would like 'em a little deeper and "sharper" myself but I can make do with the ones I have for now.

5. 03scgt

03scgt

dead or not dead I use mine just about every day.
    [​IMG]

Gen IV, wyldesixx21 and mhmx233 like this.
  6. TCRRT

TCRRT

Heh, I was about to ask you what you were thinking, mounting a huge stupid tacticool "laser" on TOP of your slide there until I looked a little closer...:D

7. mikey250r

mikey250r Reloader

I just like the GILLS

[​IMG]

G19Gilly likes this.
  8. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

I have a RTF2 G21SF with standard slide serrations. It was a factory refurb, and sat in the dealer's case for months before I happened upon it. It doesn't abrade my hands, even with +P ammo. I like the grip feel, as the finger grooves and thumb rests seem less pronounced on the RTF2 guns. I don't carry this particular gun, but wouldn't hesitate to do so. I do love shooting it. I'd really love a black RTF2 G19 minus the gills. It's a shame; they were on the shelves at my LGS just a few years back.

I'd carry the RTF2 G19. Now I just need to find one that has a black frame. I'd love a gill slide, but would be about as happy with standard serrations. I'd probably mount XS tritium sights on it. Say - maybe Glock would make us a special run of RTF2 G19's as a GLOCKTALK commerative edition.........

9. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

A sentiment to which I agree,long live the best Glock grip frame ever produced. SJ 40

LarryNC likes this.
  10. DaBurna

DaBurna

I used to own a Glock 21SF RTF2... It's didn't seem as abrasive as the 1st batch of RTF's that came out... It was like Rhe Baby Bear Syndrome... "just right"

11. BADOS

BADOS

Long live the RTF2.

12. chriseger

chriseger

13. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

Just picked up a Vickers rtf2. My first gen3 and first glock with extended slide stop and mag release. Wasnt looking for this particular model but it feels great in hand. Already had a grey gen 4 g19,like the color.

Paid $50 more for this model. Just the frame and rtf2 grip are worth that to me.

Id like to apologize for a possibly disparaging remark about gen3 glocks I may have made in the past. Just my ignorance.

My Vickers rtf2 grey has prefix BATZ and 7xx.

The front sight on my gun has a very sharp edge on the top of the rear portion. Its hanging up on my cover shirts. I like the sight picture but if I cannot get that sight rou nded off it will have to go.

Cant wait to shoot some steel plates. My range has 6 steel plates and a dueling tree. Plates can be re set up with a pull rope. Glad I re upped my 9mm supply.

I am not a collector.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  14. domino1

domino1

I like RTF2. I bought the previous Lipsey models and I am looking at the grey versions.

15. armorer1911

armorer1911

What about your shirts and consol of your car? Ripped up?
    I have a G19 RTF2 Vickers in FDE. Love that Pistol.......

16. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Not dead at all. GLOCK keeps making them in special distributor runs! If there is that much demand, Glock should bring RTF2 back as a standard production variant.

LarryNC likes this.
  17. 03scgt

03scgt

I don't wear the same shirt enough to ever notice anything wrong.I have black leather in my car and Haven't noticed a problem with that either.If I was a cop in and out of my car with the same uniform on all the time Id probably notice a little more.

18. Blake C.

Blake C.

Rtf is nice, just picked up my first rtf2 framed gun this week. Got me a new grey gen3 19 with the vickers tactical stuff. Got a great deal I couldn't pass it up.

19. James Dean

James Dean

I have two RTF's. A G22 and a G23. Both are used for H'D. Their my favorite Glocks

20. PPinesRon

PPinesRon