Is reloading 9mm worth it?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Pro 2A, Oct 6, 2011.

1. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Oh, I thouhgt you ordered PD all the time.
    My mistake.

Yeah, they e-mailed me back after I e-mauiled them yesterday and stated they shipped USPS Priority Mail on Monday...so, I should get them today or tomarrow.

So, maybe next time I'll order from Montana Gold.

THanks for the reply,

BTW, are you going to Charleston, SC?
    Greg

2. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

i just got 2K of Extreme plated from TJConevera. their plating is thicker and you can load these to jacketed specs unlike the Berry's. i have no problems loading them with 5.3gr of WSF which is max load. 5.1gr is the most accurate load though.

3. beancounter81

beancounter81

I ordered 2000 124gr from Precision Delta on Monday. Got a confirmation email after placing the order online. They shipped on Tuesday and showed up today.

4. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

cool, I ordered the same amount, but split between .40 and 9mm and ordered on Tuesday. Never got an e-mail, but I e-mailed them yesterday and they answered this morning via e-mail stating they received the order and it shipped Tuesday.

Hopefully, it'll arrive today.

5. Pro 2A

Pro 2A

Thanks for the additional info. Even if it's $6 per 50, it's still close to half of the lowest prices I have seen around here for store bought. The sporting goods store had a sale recently for $9.99/box + tax so I bought quite a bit, but it's almost gone now.

We're having a warm snap, but my guess is this month will be the last month for shooting for me till Spring. So I have a few months to get set-up and loading.

Do the reloader machines go on sale around Christmas? Or are prices pretty steady?

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Dillon is on sale now. Simply because the price is likely to go up early next year. :crying:

7. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Your both right to a degree, the way I see it. I personally do not see reloading itself as a hobby, but a by product in support of my primary hobby which is shooting.
    Again it all boils down to you initial investment in tooling and your requirements for numbers of rounds a month. I reduced my time at the bench by 50% for my total monthly requirement of 2K +/- by going to a XL650 from a SDB.

8. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

i view rifle loading a hobby but 9mm plinking ammo is just about shooting more for the same money. i reload in the evenings when there isnt much else going on.

9. jfrey

jfrey

I'm running 5.0 gr. WSF under my 115 gr. Berry's bullets and it is a very accurate load. I went up to 5.4 on some FMJ bullets and the accuracy fell off really bad.

Reloading is a decision we all have to make depending on how much we shoot and how much we expect to save over store bought ammo. I bought a Dillon SDB press for .45 ACP/LC at first and paid it off rather quickly. I can load .45 LC for about $17.00/100. They are running around $30.00/50 box locally so the savings build quick at that rate. That worked out so well I bought a second SDB for 9mm and paid it off in the first year with no problem. Good equipment does cost more but it is worth it in the long run.

10. fredj338

fredj338

If you want a quality progressive, they rarely go on sale, Dillon never, they don't have to offer them cheaper. As Steve noted, they often go up every year a bit. It does make the LNL more desireable for those that want a decent progressive & not spend more for the Dillon.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  11. atakawow

atakawow

Fred,

My last purchase of components was in Thanksgiving season of last year. This came from Wideners.

I got 17k Wolf SPP, 8lb jug of Unique, 4lb jug of 2400. My total bill including shipping + hazmat came out to be around $450-460.

My cost for 9mm per 1000:

1k primer $15 + $1 (hazmat + shipping) = $16.00

2/3 of a lb of Unique $8 + .65 = $8.65

Free brass.

I cast my bullets. Say, at 125gr, I would need about 18 pounds of lead. My price of lead that I purchased in March of this year was $50 for about 55-60 pounds shipped. 18 pounds of lead would cost me about $20.00.

So (16 + 8.65 + 20) / 10 = $ 4.465 per 100 rounds of 9mm. Round it up to $5.00 for utilities cost.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  12. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I see it as a hobby that supports another. Handloading is a hobby in and of itself.

Tying (sp?) your own flies for fly fishing is a hobby in and of itself that supports another.

13. fredj338

fredj338

As I said previously, if you cast from scrounged alloy, yes youc an just make it under $5/100, but it's not a useful number when trying to explain to a noob what his cost should/could/would be. One can reload all the service calibers for the same cost as they all take the same primer & powder (cost wise), the bullet being the diff & since they are free for your time, yeah, I reload my 45acp for little less than $5/100.:supergrin:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  14. cole

cole Millennium Member

FMJ = <$100/1k
    LRN = <$85/1k

15. Popsmoke

Popsmoke

Here's my workup for 9mm - prices are approximate, discounts may apply:
    Brass per 1000 pcs from Gunbroker.com - about $ 35.00
    Bullets, Midway USA, ------------------ about $130.00
    Powder, local gunshow ---------------- about $ 25.00
    Primers, local gunshow ---------------- about $ 25.00

As you can see, I buy components for about 1000 rounds at a time. That about break even with good 9mm ammo. If you can manage to pick up used brass, then you save, if you can strike a deal for bullets, then even more.

Reloading ammo, for me, is like brewing you own beer. Dont do it to save money, do it because you like to, and maybe get to a batch that suits you better.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  16. fredj338

fredj338

Unless you throw way your brass, I never count bras cost. Buyin once fired @ that cost amortizes to less than 1c.case loaded only 5x. If you are buying even once fired brass everytim you load 9mm, you don't save much over cheap Wolf/Tula/Blaser. You'll do better getting bullets almost anyplace but Midway & powder would be cheaper bought in 4#-8# jugs from PV or Graf's, along w/ primers, you'll save buying online.:dunno:

17. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

i agree. if you have to buy brass every time, buy some wolf or whatever is cheap loaded ammo.
    also look into Extreme Plated bullets at TJConevera.com their plating is thicker and they can be loaded to jacketed specs but they only run $79/k for 115gr and $83/k for 124gr and thats a shipped price.

18. fredj338

fredj338

The FMJ from Precision Delta are cheaper still & not plated.:supergrin:

19. TxDoubleAgent

TxDoubleAgent

I guess it all depends then on your location in the country. I'm getting WWB for $21 on the 100. And at Acedemy Sports and Outdoors getting the Eastern Bloc Monarch brass for $10 on the 50.

20. coachg

coachg

I like that pretax calculation. I tell my kids that all the time. Learn to do things on your own and your effective savings is far greater than just your out of pocket cost.