Is one FTF a problem?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by EM87, Jan 3, 2010.

1. EM87

EM87

I was watching a friend shoot my G22 at the range today, and in the 85 rounds we shot he had one FTF. We were shooting Federal and Fiocchi FMJ. I don't remember what was in the gun at the time. Should I be at all concerned about this? This is my carry gun.

2. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Nope, probably just the ammo. What happened?

3. EM87

EM87

The round jammed on the way in, holding the slide back a bit. I told my friend to rack it again, which loaded the round.

4. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Is the gun new? Are 85 rounds all you've put through it or have you shot it more than that?

5. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Mark that magazine. It could be your problem. Just keep track of when you're using that magazine. If it only happens with that one, you've found the problem. Buy a new mag.

6. mike4045

mike4045

I have been having ammo issues with the Federal ammo from Wally world. Several problems with feeding. Bullets did not appear to have any crimp. Bullets were pushing back in to cases, it can really drive up pressures on a 40.
    I have quit using the stuff.

Could be mags also. The only time it has happened on these guns has been on this ammo. They run reloads and WW box fine.

Mike

7. EM87

EM87

Counting the 85 we put through it today, the total is 1035 rounds. I had a few stovepipes early on, but those did not happen again after the first 500 rounds or so.

As suggested, I'll mark the mag if it happens again.

I got the Federal from Walmart, so I'll take that into consideration too.

Thank you all for the help!

8. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

I'd mark the mag, buy a couple different types of ammo and clean the gun. If you have trouble with more than one type of ammo in all of your mags call Glock but I think you'll be okay.

9. EM87

EM87

Will do. Thanks!

10. ronin.45

ronin.45

Probably a bad round or a limp wrist with the .40.

11. skip a stone

skip a stone

Tell me friend, is there a little cresent shaped bulge on your spent cases, right above the rim where the primer is struck?

12. skyugo

skyugo

i was gonna mention that.
    i had a stovepipe jam awhile ago and everybody here blamed limpwristing :upeyes: turns out it was a messed up mag.

check your feed lips. see if you can smoothly strip a round off with your thumb.

13. jack76590

jack76590

Was the bullet jammed on the ramp or was the front of bullet against inside of mag?

Was the jam with the middle rounds in the mag?

14. napp32

napp32

I usually shoot whatever ammo I can find for the best price at the range. An occasional hiccup doesn't worry me too much in that case.

However, unless my gun fires at least 200 rounds of my carry ammo without missing a beat, I look for the problem.

15. EM87

EM87

I don't know, I just had him clear it by racking the slide. I only saw it for half a second.

I don't know, I swept and disposed of the brass. I'll check next time I shoot.

I should really pay attention next time...

16. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

No problem but it gives you an excuse to shoot more to verify the problem. :supergrin:

17. glockman23

glockman23

I had a misfeed with my first Glock. And a stovepipe. Sometimes it just happens, especially if you limp wrist or use cheapo ammo. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens a couple more times. Have fun.

18. coal

coal

No. I've had my share... mostly with reloads, excluding two case separations (from the same box) w/ Blazer Aluminum in a G27. Get to 20,000+ rounds, shooting 200+ rounds per range session, especially using lead, and report back. I never count FTF/FTE with reloads, factory or my own. Not to mention I run mostly aftermarket barrels (for lead) at the range. My Glocks have always runs, OEM parts or not.

p.s. My G23 would never run reliably with a light attached, but that's a known issue, and a whole other optic.

19. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I wouldn't say so. If it happened EVERY time I was at the range, I would be concerned, but I am picky. I don't like unreliable guns.

20. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk

My friends glock had a few problems feeding the other day and I noticed the follower wasn't coming up as high as his other mag's. We took it apart and found a bur on the follower. We removed the bur and put it back together and could instantly see the follower was much higher. Could be a mag problem with yours also. Marking all your mag's is really good advice. Hope this helps.