close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is my scope broken?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by LarryD1130, Mar 6, 2010.

1. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I went to the range today to sight in this old Marlin 30-30 my dad had from the 70's and it wouldn't sight in at all. The rifle is old and I don't know how my dad treated it when he used it. The rifle was shooting really high and I made adjustments and it was still shooting way above my target. Is it broke? What's a good scope to put on a 30-30? My buddy had see-thru scoop rings on his 30-30 and I was wondering if yinz use them. It seems nice to be able to use the iron sights on the rifle as well as the scope, even though I didn't try it out on his.

2. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Bump for answers.

3. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Larry, there are so many variables in sighting in a scope it is very hard to tell. But if all your bases and rings are tight and it won't sight in, it could well be the scope. Not sure about the lever action, but another thing to check when getting erratic points of impact is the tightness of your stock (i am mainly thinking once piece stocks on bolt actions) and forearm. A loose stock will make one shoot crazy all over the place----not sure if you could have a loose forearm on that marlin or not.

Once you have eliminated something being loose, examine your sighting in methods. Are you using a steady rest, bench, etc..? Are you consistently using the same ammo each time?

If none of the above brings a solution, a new scope might be in order. I like the low power scopes like a 1-4X or maybe a straight 4X on a lever action. I am not a fan of see through mounts because they make the scope sit too high above the gun, but to each his own.

I would recommend some weaver style bases with the Burris signature zee rings. Good luck in whatever you do-----finding an answer can be time consuming and frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  4. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I might get a Redfield. What is a good size for a 30-30.

5. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

4x32 fixed power is perfect for the 30-30. i do have a 3x9x40 on one also.

6. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I think the one that is on it now is a 4x32.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010