Glock 27 Is leaving the Glock Slide locked back for years ok?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by I am Groot!, Oct 19, 2020.

1. I am Groot!

I am Groot!

For the last 3 years I've left my G27 gen3 hidden and out of reach from visiting grandchildren.
    It has been with a loaded mag inserted and the slide locked back mostly to prevent it from being fired as is if found by them.
    They are now physically able to rack the slide so it stays in the safe while they visit.
    It has always cycled and fired without any issues and I would like to keep it in this stored condition.
    I've not seen this brought up before. Maybe because it shouldn't be done.
    I've read about the RSA wear being a matter of cycles but never heard of being stored compressed.

2. cciman

cciman MacGyver

That counts as a half cycle. Yes it is OK to leave it locked back.

FireMedic-50 and harold63 like this.

3. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

+1. Springs staying compressed does little harm. Also, RSA's are consumable.

Curious though...why store it like this? Just lock it up when the kids come over. You say you kept the slide locked back with a loaded mag in. It's too easy for a kid to hit the slide stop lever and chamber a round.

4. Mister-B

Mister-B

True. Plus if a Mag is inserted, and the kid drops the gun, it can technically chamber a round and be ready to fire

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

5. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

The condition you left it in is just as dangerous as a chambered gun. As far as the spring no different than leaving a loaded mag for years.

ShipWreck, glocker1 and GlockyQ like this.
  6. Neldon

Neldon Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!

Doesn't sound like your practicing your G27 much. You should give it a thorough cleaning at least once a year, even when not used.
    Should cycle your SD ammo once a year.
    Should practice using similar fmj once a month.
    Do you have other Glock sub-compacts you practice with? I assume you have other guns for competition or practice?

7. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Should be good to go, however shoot it and you'll quickly find out if your slide stop is damaged.
    I have had one break an extended one on my G-22 once during normal use.

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  8. YakSpitRamp

YakSpitRamp

Pretty sure glocks and roaches will outlast civilization so I’d say you’re good

Pat Harmon likes this.
  9. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

'For years'?

Since that's not the normal 'factory upright position' for your weapon, the answer is clearly 'no.' If the gun is going to be left somewhere, like in your safe or in a nightstand drawer, the slide of the gun should be (hand-closed close) forward into battery.

Whether you choose to keep it loaded, round chambered, unloaded with magazine out of weapon, yadda, yadda, etc., are all choices which depend on your personal circumstances.

I am Groot! and nrajeff like this.
  10. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

That may not cause any mechanical issues, but it seems to be an unsafe storage procedure.
    Leaving the loaded magazine inserted and the chamber EMPTY would be safer.

G26-Has-my-6 and agtman like this.
  11. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Yea, but he says the kids can rack the slide, now. His only option is to lock it up before they come over. If they learn how to crack a safe, beat the @#$% out of them.

12. I am Groot!

I am Groot!

Thanks everyone. I left out that I feel that a closed slide doesn't show whether the handgun has a round chambered.
    With the slide locked back you know that it isn't loaded by looking in the chamber.
    I'll now keep it with the slide locked back and the loaded magazine nearby.
    Sorry I left this aspect out. It is part of why I chose to have it this way.

13. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

All of the training pistols at the academy and the Department range were always stored with the slide locked back (and of course no magazine). While not left for years like this, any time the pistol wasn't in use it was in this condition. No ill effects at all.

nrajeff and FireMedic-50 like this.
  14. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

You could always just leave the mag in and pull the slide back to check. At least you've got the mag in the gun. Why have an extra step if you have a home invader?

Madd Trapper likes this.
  15. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

If you drop the striker on a empty chamber then put a mag in you can tell by looking at the trigger it’s not chambered. There’s no other way to get the pistol in that condition.

16. G19/48

G19/48 Previously G48 OEM Guy

This reminds me of asking a related question on mags. I keep about a dozen of my mags full all the time, even when I do not use the ammo for months at a time. I only fire off the carry ammo at the range once a year and replace them with fresh ammo. The mags I use for range practice get cycled more frequently but are kept full all the time as well. Should I leave some of the mags empty from time to time for the spring to release tension or does it not matter. I am guessing the answer is "no problem" but I actually cannot find any citation indicating so...

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I guess my first criticism would be that you made it very easy for them to fire by doing that. Even a small child can hit the slide stop and drop the slide to chamber a round, where they might have had a hard time if you have left the slide closed and chamber empty, but the magazine loaded.

So? You left a loaded magazine in the gun and the slide locked back, so they never needed to rack the slide anyhow.

So it didn't cross your mind that with the slide closed and the trigger pulled, not only can you be sure there isn't a round chambered, but you literally cannot pull the trigger without chambering one first?

Madd Trapper, fg17 and thewoods868 like this.
  18. nrajeff

nrajeff

That is what I was gonna say.

fg17 likes this.
  19. STI

STI

Guessing I am very different here mine was not shipped with a locked back slide not would I ever store it like that, my thought would not be proper for me to post here but I do see that description as a huge negative in many ways an accident waiting to happen to me only, we just do not think alike at all on that question, again was it shipped new like that? Do you ever see others or officers carry like that? I never have not heard of it either. Just sharing my thoughts here no negative to anyone stated at all.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  20. nrajeff

nrajeff

Or, if they have mastered safecracking at that early an age, hire them out as locksmiths and profit from their skills. :)

One thing about slide-racking difficulty: It may require less strength to rack it if the trigger has been reset. So you might make it bit harder for a little kid to rack if you dry fire it and then insert that magazine.