close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it wrong to dress/look presentably as a man?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Since when did looking presentable and dressing clean-cut go from being a gentlemen/respectful to being metrosexual?

Apparently these days it's manly to put as little effort into your appearance as possible?

I understand there's a line that's crossed when guys start waxing everything in sight, but it seems that even looking like you didn't roll out of bed 10 minutes ago is frowned upon when you're my age (25).
    Maybe it's just around here. :dunno:

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Not at all.

There are still places where well dressed men socialize with educated and accomplished people while surrounded by stunning women.

A man need not wear a tux to Taco Bell...but if he is not also enjoying a little high brow from time to time, he is not very well rounded.

Elegance and luxury are important things to be experienced and be knowledgable about just like knowing how to labor and adventure is.

3. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

Rabbi said it well.

I know my way around fine wines and can make taste recommendations all day long, but still off road my SUV and get my hands dirty. Just an example.

Being well rounded is a great quality to have.

4. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

High fashion here is Carharts and Bunny Boots, with a red hanky sticking out of your pocket. Anything else is just gay.

5. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

In other words. Not like this ^

6. Adjuster

Adjuster

SE Florida you don't leave the house without dressing. Its funny I can go to my local Publix grocery store and everyone looks like models. I drive 4 hours across the state to visit my parents in Pasco county and everyone in the Publix grocery store is wearing sweat pants.

/

7. PBCounty

PBCounty

I am starting my own movement (really). I have grown so tired of the worn t-shirts alongside the busted-ass jeans I see everywhere these days. People (at least around here) have no pride anymore. Be it a decent restaurant or just a grocery store, sweat pants and wrinkled shirts abound. I have given up my denim entirely now (outside of neighborhood) and have decided that nothing short of a pressed dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes will suffice anymore.

The tipping point for me was a recent bachelor party where we were scheduled to visit a decent restaurant followed by some visits to "adult" establishments and I was the only attendee not wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt with a logo.

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

Well...come about an hour north.

9. Taphius

Taphius

[​IMG]

well dressed

[​IMG] metro

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

LOL I just went on a 5-6 strip bar run this weekend that lasted Friday and Saturday with no sleep. I was dressed appropriately but I am sure not looking to good around the 30th hour or so.

/

11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I wear boots everyday, at work or not. I work hard and get dirty. The only time I dress up is for weddings or funerals. I don't think that doesn't make me well rounded, high brow isn't my thing.

I've always known boots and jeans and hard work. I was feeding cows when I was yay tall. If I wanted to I could get all jazzed up and head down to the country club plaza in Kansas city and meet high brow men and woman, but those wouldn't be the kind I'd be happy around.

12. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

In the early 80's, parody book was published: Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. It sold reasonably well.

Somebody came up with a parody line parodying the parody: a TRULY real man WILL eat quiche ... if only just to show he's so real a man he doesn't care if anybody wonders if he's a real man!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  13. 427

If you want to dress nice, dress nice! Live your life and be happy. I'm curious, why do you care what others think?

14. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

"Presentable" means different things in different circles. Took me a long time to realize that people really do judge you based on appearance.

15. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Around here, if you dress nicely, you're Mormon. I'm not Mormon; therefore I don't shave, and I only dress up when the occasion calls for it. Other than that, it's just jeans (that fit) and a t-shirt (in the summer) or flannel (in the winter).

16. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

:rofl:

I had that book. I have no idea what became of it. Thanks for the reminder. :supergrin:

17. Rabbi

Just some food for thought....

Mens high fashion is derived from military formal dress.

Some of the "best dressed" men are infantry men when the occasion calls. Unless you (the general you) has ever been an infantry men...the "I do real work" doesnt really hold water for the ol "I dont need no high fashion...."

I understand not liking some things that that doesnt change what a thing is.

Few will ever work as hard or get as dirty as these guys....and this is very well dressed. A time and a place. A skill that is important to have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  18. sr975j

sr975j

unless im at a wedding, work function, funeral, or some place like a decent/nice restaurant, im wearing a t shirt, jeans, and a pair of ariat boots. ive given up trying to impress people. im comfortable in what im wearing and i dont look like a homeless guy so im happy in it.

i can clean up and look damn good when i need to:supergrin:

Sam

19. Rabbi

And in the grand scheme of things, that is fine. You know how, when and can pull it off.

20. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Rabbi, with all due respect, and I do consider you one of the great posters of GT, I'm not sure where your going with this. Are you implying that the military work harder than anybody else?