Is it Worth Paying for the Most Expensive Auto Part and Online Supply Company?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Flying-Dutchman, Oct 18, 2019.

1. rj1939

rj1939

Rock can be a mixed bag, shipping not very cheap..............also, when you order something, you don't always get quite what you ordered. I went with a OEM fuel pump (Delphi, IIRC) thought I was getting the whole module, got just a fuel pump, which was marked Walbro. Had to do surgery on the old unit and adapt a wiring pigtail to adapt. Worked fine though.

2. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

this was what my father did. He has since sold the business to his employee @ retirement, but it's a dying industry. be hard pressed to find a shop that does it anymore. business was good - real good at one point. Summer and winter was making $ hand over fist, I guess the heat and cold used to kill the starters/alt. doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

3. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

We have a place that is just like you described. This place is run by Mr Charlie. I would guess he is in his early 70's. Began working there sweeping the floor when he was a young boy. There is a maze of carburetors, alternators etc.. Every time I have taken him something when he gives me the total of ask if he is sure.

Rock auto is great for some things. I'm not gonna wait 3 days to save $20. Not only is there a wait but if it's bad I like to be able to walk in hand it to someone and walk out with replacement.

4. Ghost doctor

Ghost doctor N.R.A life member. G.O.A member

Best stay away from parts geek. Most all of the customer reviews are negative. one guy ordered brake pads and got a box of rocks. they also outsource their customer service to the middle east, according to some reviews.Rock auto has quite a few bad reviews also.

Flying-Dutchman likes this.
  5. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I had a Toyota starter repaired by a friend that did this in his garage. He was retired IBM Tch. Cost less than $10.00. Repaired while I waited.

6. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

That's standard and was good advice. Always replace the other side at the same time.

7. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I bought a new Chevelle in 1970. After a few years, the starter would stick on when it was real cold. I had no where to work on it, so took car to well known repair shop. Weather was around zero outside, car sat outside, new starter failed also. Took car back, replaced starter, within a week, same problem. Took car to Chevrolet dealer, they told me rebuilt parts were just that, rebuilders would only replace defective parts, and leave the rest. Dealer removed starter and rebuilt with Delco parts. No more problems.

8. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

That's F'd up! I'd be pissed if I got a box of rocks.

Ghost doctor likes this.
  9. wally1

wally1

Shipping comes out of your care refund, but it's usually cheaper than if you arrange your own shipping.
    Parts have usually come in a couple of days and it is worth the wait for me.
    I do shop around for parts but it is not always an apple to apple comparison.

10. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

It was like that with my 86 Cougar. Wish I still had that car. :(

11. bigchuck83

bigchuck83

I try not buying parts online if possible. If I do I try and get oem or best possible rebuilt part. Some parts you just can’t find locally or will pay too much for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. DAKA

DAKA

I remember in the "old" days, rebuilt sometimes meant a fresh coat of black paint...about half didn't work....

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

I think the OP is also asking - how can you even tell which part is higher quality?

Just because one is $49 and the other is $69 doesn't really mean anything more than one costs more that the other.

I will guess - you have several brands of rebuilt parts all being reconditioned at the same place - and they just slap a different label on them.

14. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Last time I ordered from Parts Geek the UPS box was torn open and a tensioner was missing. Parts Geek delayed refunding or resending the part that was holding up a timing belt job. After a few days, 15 minutes after I posted a complaint on a complaint forum they refunded my money.

I now see the very bad reviews for Rock Auto. I have had good luck with them until the recent multiple starter failures. They ship fast with good prices. I sent the bad starters back and will see how long it takes for a refund.

Ghost doctor likes this.
  15. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Exactly. There does not seem to be a way to determine the best part. It makes me think I should always buy the cheaper part but then sometimes the cheap part is pretty bad.

16. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

What a coincidence.....I'm in the process of looking on Amazon for a front wheel bearing for my 1997 Cadillac SLS. Shop wants $350 for it, but Amazon has an AC Delco unit listed for about $100.

Always wondered about this very issue, thanks.