close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it worth going to a GSSF match?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Marksman44, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Marksman44

Marksman44

Looking for some unbiased information about GSSF matches. Is it worth 1.5 hours travel time each way and about $75 to attend one? I heard there is no shooting on the move and no drawing from holster. Is that correct? If so,what makes these matches worth attending? Thank you.

2. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

You can get answers to most of your questions at GSSFONLINE.COM. Is it worth driving that distance, all I can say is we drive 12+ hours to some of the 12 GSSF matches we attend, flying to the others. Why do we go to all this to shoot a GSSF match? To see the friends we have made around the counrty also a chance a winning a cash prize or even a pistol but the main reason is to HAVE FUN!!!!! If all you have to drive is 1.5 hours, I would say to you, give a try! If you happen to see some folks walking around or shooting with "Team Carver Mounts" shirts and hats, make sure to introduce yourself and you'll find them to be very friendly and helpful!

Dan:cool:

3. JonInWA

JonInWA

Yes, it's worth it. No, you don't shoot from the draw, or on the move-I use IDPA for that. GSSF is well run, an even playing field for the various shooters' skill levels, easily understood, and very family/significant other friendly. As has been mentioned, friendships and camaraderie prevail, and there is always a Glock Armorer who will go through your Glock and provide applicable update parts and then some at no charge (if nothing else, that alone makes it cost-efficient). While I shoot IDPA and steel plate competitions, I plan on increasing my GSSF match participation this year, including going to one that's at least 5 hours away from my home.

Best, Jon

4. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

1.5 hours, is that all? I drive that far just for the nearest IDPA matches each month. I drive about 2.5 to 3 hours for GSSF matches. I enjoy shooting so to me it's worth it. Plus the chance to win a gun or cash makes it especially worth it.

5. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

There are many organized shooting sports that do not require "shooting on the move or drawing from a holster" that continue to attract shooters across our nation. Such disciplines include Bullseye, IHMSA, Bowling Pin Shooting and NRA Hunter Pistol. NRA's Action Shooting, including the famous Bianchi Cup, requires the gun drawn from the hoster but it's not a speed draw as used in steel shooting, IPSC and IDPA.

If you want to draw your gun from the holster and shoot on the move, then IDPA and IPSC are the matches for you. If you want to improve your overall shooting skills and speed, then GSSF will satisfy that as well as the other organized shooting sports mentioned above.

I've shot all of the disciplines that I have mentioned and I have found that GSSF competitions have improved my overall shooting skills and has enabled me to compete at a higher level in IPSC and IDPA.

As for being worth the travel time, I think it is. Afterall, there's no other format that gives you a chance to win guns and cash at every match without having to pay out a large entry fee and most important, you will be competing with an average of 250 other competitors that will give you "plenty" of competition.

Hopefully, we'll see ya on the range,
    Bobby

6. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Last year's Brighton, Michigan GSSF match paid out $2,100 in cash and 9 guns as awards.

Tell me, how many other matches within a 1.5 hour drive of your location can match that prize table, hmmmm???

:headscratch:

7. Marksman44

Marksman44

Thanks for your thoughts Gentlemen. I will give it a try.