close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it time to ditch the iPhone for the Samsung Galaxy S4?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, May 1, 2013.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

Nope, it's not time :wavey:

3. brisk21

brisk21

It was time to dich the iphone for the galaxy S3, so yeah.

4. woodasptim

woodasptim

I've been using my iPhone 4 since shortly after they were released, but my S4 is on the UPS truck to be delivered today...

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Not a fan of the phablet trend. I love my 4S in my Rokform case, does everything I need.

6. PVolk

PVolk

Got that right.

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Me either. I've been seriously considering regression.

If I could have a small phone with a decent keyboard that could call and text and nothing else I'd probably do it. Ala old school Blackberry but with a screen about half it's size and frameless, no wasted space.

Big phones just suck IMO.

8. PVolk

PVolk

Consider an old Blackberry 9700. They're pretty small overall and excellent to type on. You could scoop one up used and unlock it to avoid requiring a data plan.

9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'm issued the 9700. The company is in the process of switching to iPhone.

It's still bigger than I'd like but they are real nice to type on. My personal phone is a Droid M. I'm still not a fan of touch screen typing. The text prediction and auto correct try really hard to account for how imprecise it is but I'm over it.

10. racerford

racerford

It depends on how invested you are in the iOS environment. My family is, so it would take something that is light years ahead of what we have to jump to Android. And since we are quit happy with what the Apple products do, and how they perform; I see no reason to jump at all.

11. roger123

roger123

Not yet, I have too much invested in "ioS stuff". My wife switched though, she now has a Note 2, HUGE!

12. woodasptim

woodasptim

If that's all that you need then more power to you. Personally I use my phone for calling, texting, emailing, and facebooking with clients, placing orders, posting my timebilling, downloading and viewing repair and installation manuals, tracking orders, and maintaining my calendar so that I don't forget meetings. My iPhone has worked pretty well for all of that, but I'm definitely ready for a bigger screen and a faster processor.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  13. somebodybuymeaglock

somebodybuymeaglock

Nope.

Its time to drop iphone for the Note 2!!!

Sent from my humongous phablet Note 2

14. sputnik767

sputnik767

At this point, the only thing keeping the iPhone afloat is the ecosystem and the user base they've developed over the past 6 or 7 years. That is not to say that the iphone is not an excellent device, just that until about a year or so ago it was the only truly excellent device. Problem is, the iphone stopped evolving at the introduction of the iphone 4, and the only thing the iphone 5 brought to the table is a slightly larger screen. You can make that case for the Galaxy S4 as well, but I would argue that it brought a whole new set of features that is not found on the S3 and certainly not on the iPhone 5, and they significantly upgraded the screen and the CPU. The iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 kept the same screen resolution (AFIK) but made the screen bigger, so I would argue that it's actually a step down.

Now, the Galaxy S4 has been catching some flak over the plastic body when compared to the competition. Whether that is a valid criticism or not depends on the user. If you're like me and keep the phone in a case, it's irrelevant. Problem is, those writers that criticize the S4 are recommending the HTC One and not the iPhone 5. Coupled with the fact that Apple isn't expected to release a new phone until the fall and the fact that it's expected to be an incremental upgrade, things are not looking too good for Apple IMO.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  15. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Nope. I like my iPhone. If I wanted a tiny tablet I'd buy one tho. Just a good size for me. Realtree case too. . Lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. racerford

racerford

The iPhone 5 has the same DPI on the screen as a 4S, but has different aspect ratio. So not a step down. It give you one more row of icons, and a larger video picture in landscape mode. It is a nice change from the 4S.

Of course the processor is faster, among other changes.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Not necessarily but it IS time for Apple to get off its ass and improve iOS.

I truly thought Jobs would leave the company in better shape than it is with regard to pipeline. Surely key personnel changes affect that but they need to get moving again.

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've not had a ton of experience with iOS. I will say, I am loving my new Android phone.

Up to this point I couldn't be happier with the decision I made.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

19. sputnik767

sputnik767

It's true, the CPU is faster than the 4S and marginally faster than the S3. This is to be expected as the iPhone 5 came out about 4-5 months after the S3. However, the benchmarks I've seen from the US version of the S4 are about double the performance of the iPhone 5 and the international version with the "octa-core" do a bit better than that. I'm curious to see what the iPhone 5S will bring as far as internals go.

20. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Here's a good explanation of the differences in iPhones http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

It always comes down to a ford/chevy debate between iOS and Android and honestly, the majority of the world uses it for a phone, text and social media device. If it works for you, cool. To me, Apple is just more reliable and integrated across the entire platform with no need to mess with additional apps to seamlessly coordinate between the ipad, ipod, iphone appletv and mac through the icloud. I just dig the downright simplicity of it's usage.