close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it safe to have knives in checked-in luggage?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by juramentado, Jan 7, 2007.

1. juramentado

juramentado

I'm thinking of having a friend buy 2 knives and bring them over with him when he visits. I'm just worried that someone will steal them at the airport, before or while the bags are inspected. How safe is it to bring in a knife in checked-in luggage?

2. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

Just checked with some people in the know, and the response I got is that:

"It's not really safe to have your knives brought over in checked-luggage, precisely because it might get 'intercepted' when it gets here. If you were to bring only one to two pieces, then it would be best to wrap them up separately in respective gift boxes. Now, if you were to be inspected, just declare them as gifts, and be sure you only have a maximum of three to four pieces. Anything over that and it might be construed as importing, and you may be charged customs duties at the very least.

It would be feasible to just ship your knives via door-to-door cargo shipping services such as JRS express or the like. That way, you can buy them earlier. Usually, it takes about a month to ship. And don't forget to have everything insured."

That is the gist of the conversation I had with some people I know who have had experience in going in and out of the country and have been keeping up with the current comings-and-goings of having to have items shipped. YMMV.

May I also suggest you get in touch with SOE and see if they can suggest anything to you as far as getting knives in the country? Or better yet, just buy the knives from them, they will give you a good deal and they have some of the best pieces available for sale here.

Just my two pesos worth.:thumbsup:

3. arzon

arzon

Hmmn.

Seems like bad news to those people like me who wants to bring a knife or two for personal use.

4. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Shouldn't be a problem, basta hindi commercial quantity. If you're concerned about the knives getting stolen, mas marami pa sigurong pag-iinterasang ibang bagay yung mga magnanakaw.

5. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Ever since 9/11 it's been getting harder and harder to get our toys from the US. Support our local stores nalang para less hassle. Some people say mas mura if you order from the US but they don't factor in shipping and landed cost plus customs trouble into the equation. As far as knives and other gear go, you'll be surprised how near SOE's prices are to internet prices. Sulit na rin and at least you can inspect the items before buying.

My 2 centavos.

6. chocoboy

chocoboy

Done dat a couple of times even with gun parts and accessories... La naman problema. As long as nakatago mabuti n as Punisher mentioned, balutin mo ng gift wrap. If ur asking ur frnd from the US to bring it here $5 lang ang shipping within US or less pa. Compute mo na lang price then compare it to SOE's price. I just bought a mini-commander from them and compared the price sa US including shipping to a frnd from US also, less than 1k pesos ang difference kaya binili ko na lang dito.

7. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Bringing in gun parts sa checked in luggage is pushing it, bawal talaga yan. Knives wala naman nagababawal, sabihin mo na lang na kitchen knives. :supergrin:

8. juramentado

juramentado

thanks for the tips everyone. My friend already ordered the knives and so I'll just have to make sure they're gift wrapped to prevent theft.

9. tagaykoyan

tagaykoyan

10. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

11. toxic

toxic

dampot na kulong pa.

12. tagaykoyan

tagaykoyan

really? what about grips, snap caps, spyderco and speedloader? (yun yung mga inorder ko eh, he he...)

13. binoy

binoy

I brought two knives from the states last Dec in my checked in luggage. No problem encountered.

14. kontra

kontra

Shouldnt be a problem upon checking in at US airports. The main problem will be in the Phils customs. As written in the customs declaration sheet "i/we are bringing in firearms, parts & ammunition". But it doesnt say anything about accessories.

I have checked-in a number of a-zoom dummy rounds from LAX. I removed the packaging and upon x-ray, I told the TSA that I have dummy rounds inside, showed the packaging and pointed out where is the location in my bag. They said that it shouldn't be a problem because I advised them beforehand. I have brought some folding knives also, but never of commercial quantity.

A friend have brought in from LAX some shotgun chokes also. Never had a problem.

But like the rest said, its not worth the hassle if the item is readily available here.

15. isuzu

isuzu

There are new rules now about having gift-wrapping gifts on board commercial flights. Passengers are now advised not to wrap their gifts. This was reiterated during the holiday season for people boarding planes in North America.

Having two checked-in knives would not be a problem. My brother who is a chef brings his knives and other utensils wherever he goes. He checks them in and keeps them in a locked, plastic utility box.

16. valian

valian

I travel to the Phils. 2x each year and because I can buy knives wholesale, I always bring those (swiss army knives, plier tools, folders, etc) for gifts when I come. I have never had any problem but maybe it is because I an an american and only have a few pieces of luggage and no balikbayan boxes, that I have never even had customs look at my luggage. I always tell them I only have things for my visit there and pass through. I have never lost any to theft either.

valian

17. vega

vega

Those are accessories and not gun parts.