close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it possible to transform a 1911 A1 into a full automatic pistol, like Glock G18 ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mariner, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Mariner

Mariner

Is it possible to transform a 1911 A1 into a full automatic pistol, like Glock G18 ?

;a ;c ;a

2. REFLEX

REFLEX

Yes, but why would you want to?

3. pokey074

pokey074 The F.O. Man

4. Guest

didn't someone already get a thread closed yesterday for this question ?

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

Historic note here...
    At the time of his death in Chicago, John Dillinger was thought to be carrying a 1911 modified to fire full auto. Not that it does much good in the holster, or with 7 round mags.....

uncle albert

6. Mike's_Basement

Mike's_Basement

There were a couple of guys that did legal 1911 full auto conversions, once upon a time. I believe that there are a few transferrable ones on form 4's out on the market, but I doubt you'd ever get an owner to part with one, and if you did it would cost you an arm and a leg. I saw an article on them a while back but I can't remember which magazine, perhaps it was in Small Arms Review.

7. day5creations

day5creations clocked in?

Mariner is a troll....

You know this topic is not open for discussion on GT.
    The "thread police" are on their way. Run Mariner, run!

8. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Don't know why anyone would wanna...

But on kinda a related historical note, I always wanted to see what the modified lever action rifle that John Moses Browning first modified to fire in a fully automatic mode. I've seen a drawing of it, but I'd love to see it in action. Parts moving here and there, back and forth.

Too bad he'd be a felon nowadays if he tried that. It's a sad state of affairs when genius mechanical engineers (or an idiot like me) cannot even discuss such topics without running afoul of "conspiracy" type laws.

Is this a great country or what? To have produced an actual JMB/Maxim and the very same laws that would make them evil doers.

Adios

somebody better lock this thread for our own good soon.

9. VN350X10

VN350X10

perhaps it should have been started or moved to "Free Fire Zone"

10. 40blaster

40blaster

My .40 Infinity shot a .05 split once, shortly after I lightened a spring too much. The RO said it went "full auto" but I said" nah, I've just been practicing a whole lot". Of course RO's always win when safety is an issue and now the gun shoots .17 splits, like they are supposed to.

11. Glockster35

Glockster35 Silvrst8hlstr

VN350X10,

I don't know if Dillinger was carrying the particular gun when he died, but there are pictures of him carrying this gun.

Actually I saw a story about his guns somewhere. Discovery channel maybe. He and his goons had a gunsmith build them .38 Super 1911's that were full auto and fed rounds from a highly modified magazine well built to hold a Thompson machine gun magazine.

If I recall correctly they showed video of someone shooting one of these guns, and it was an awesome sight.

It's been several years since I saw the story, so I can't remember all the details. Sorry.

12. fireslayer23

fireslayer23 Roadwhore

I read a post on the 1911forum.com about a guy with a new Kimber that would double, triple, quadruple or empty a hole mag nearly every time he pulled the triger. The goof actually sent it back. ;I

13. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Years ago, I remember reading about the Canadian 1911 variant being made in full-auto. Can't remember the name, but I saw photos and they were in fact manufactured. I also remember the muzzle kept wanting to come up. Hopefully, it was out of ammo by the time it reached your chin.
    ;a ;a

14. Bill G Gonzales

Bill G Gonzales

I've had a .45 auto go full auto on me with two rounds left in the mag. It's a scary experience, and the gun is totally uncontrollable. The gun was a used Colt Mk 4 that I bought from a buddy. He was like the third known owner of the gun. At some point in this gun's life someone had shortened the disconnector to get a better trigger pull! ;Q

15. fireslayer23

fireslayer23 Roadwhore

Hmmm...I'll have to remember that one next time I crack one of my 1911's open. Where is that spare disconnector?;P

16. corplinx

corplinx Smooth Operator

I read a thread on this over at 1911forum, the general consensus is that a standard 1911 shooting at full auto has more of a chance of hitting you in the forehead than your target. It is possible but it is very dangerous.