close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it NECESSARY to upgrade a Glock 22?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DaisyCutter, Mar 4, 2003.

1. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I was all ready to get a Glock 22. I've carried a P-89 for CCW for over 4 years, so the G22 would still be trimmer/lighter than what I now have. Upgrade time!

The good news is that I live in Mesa, AZ ~10 miles from the "GlockMeister". I was all set to buy the G22 for the great price of $474. After some conversation it was suggested that I purchase an upgrade kit: Night Sights, bigger slide release, metal guide rod, etc... only $120 more. It's still a good deal.

But now I'm looking at a ~$650 Glock (including tax). This puts me nearly within reach of Kimbers, and Springfield .45's that I've drooled over for years.

Now I'm considering just getting the "NO-FRILLS" G22. Is the dang thing gonna break if I don't upgrade? Glocks were supposed to have the rep. that they were ultra-reliable right out of the box.

Is the Basic Glock more bang for my buck than the $650 version. Would I be solving a non-problem by adding all this stuff?

I've never wanted night sights. If it's so dark that I can't see my sights AND at such a range that I can't point shoot... Should I really pull the trigger?

You're the .40 guys. What do you think? Money isn't the really a concern as much as the idea/principle of "fixing the Perfect gun". GM's prices are still ~$50 cheaper than anyone else's in town.

2. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

I have a stock 35 but with the night sights because I use it for duty. It has never given me any problms and has always gone bang. I wore out a recoil spring assy, but Glock mailed me a new one, no charge. A stock 22 will be fine. If you think you might want to upgrade to the extended slide release(not needed as pulling the slide works better) and mag release (which is nice), you will be happy to know the parts costs only about $15.00 or there abouts and any trained Glock armorer can install them in minutes. Kid

3. bunchok

bunchok

The best and worst thing about Glocks is the ridiculous amount of accessories and upgrades available.
    I purchased my G22 a little over a month ago and have already added Mepro nightsights and a Hogue grip. Both of these I feel will "aid" my shooting. The Hogue grip is a plus at the range when firing several hundred rounds, and the night sights will allow me to aim in low light situations. Anything else I.M.H.O. is wasting money that could be used to buy ammo.
    I followed the lead of a buddy who has owned a G17 for 8 years with no problems from the gun. It wears a Hogue grip and nightsights, everything else is stock. After talking with him about all of the other goodies I've seen available, he told me the one thing I really didn't want to hear - The old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it."
    Glocks are exceptional guns and will serve you well bone stock.

4. wayne5plus1

wayne5plus1 Marketing Guy

as is out of the box is as reliable as all the extras they want to sell you...if you dont need it dont buy it as it wont make the G22 work any less...

good luck...i have two G22's...my favorite glock to date...although i am liking my G19 a little more every day...

5. Eagles1181

Eagles1181 Flying High

From what I have heard in about 20,000 rounds you will need to replace your guide rod. If this is a carry gun you might think about replacing it in say 15,000 rounds. All the other stuff you mentioned are extras that will neither add nor detract from the reliability of the weapon. The majority of the cost in that package will be the night sites. If you don't want those then don't get the added package.

Eagle

6. HARDCORE

HARDCORE SEMPER FIDELIS

Hi Daisy Cutter,

Don't worry about the mods. That G22 will be good to go right out of the box. Later on if you want to change things you always can. I myself put a steel guide rod in my g23 and thinking about getting some meprolight night sights for it.

Good Luck
    HARD CORE

7. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Night Sights only. 8lbs trigger spring, if you want a heavier trigger cost $10(try that with a 1911).

8. MattsNuked

MattsNuked

DaisyCutter,

F.Y.I.
    There are a couple of other gunshops in town that have better prices.
    Machine Gun Kelly's sells their 22's for $465.
    Scottsdale Gun Center is the same price, but has great specials some times and can be as low as $439.
    And Lone Wolf is selling theirs for $455, I think.
    I bought a 22 @ Lone Wolf this past weekend with 2 boxes of ammo out the door for $517. +/- a few cents.

The 22 is a great gun. Have you thought of a 23 if you plan on carrying concealed? That's what I carry.

9. T. Harless

T. Harless

Great gun. I have extended mag release and hogue grip. I love it. Will own a G23 by the weekend. I love that tingly feeling in all my right fingers after 100 rounds of .40

10. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Mattsnuked-

I now carry a P89 9mm. 32oz unloaded, ~1.35" @ widest point. I considered G23, but a G22 is still significantly smaller than the Ruger 9-89 and I want to squeeze the max velocity. :)

Thanks dudes