close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is it me, or is this true?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SIERRA SIX, Mar 6, 2010.

1. SIERRA SIX

SIERRA SIX

I don't really know much about the Gen 4 Glocks, or the RTF models for that matter. That said, I believe the normal run-of-the-mill Gen 3's are PERFECT.

But question is, has anyone noticed that there are about a million and one complaints about the Gen 4's. I really don't think i have seen someone post a positive review about them. All I hear about is mag release issues, FTF's, FTE's, etc...

Whats everything think? Gen 4 = Massive Glock screw-up?

2. 9mmdude

9mmdude

I have a Gen417 and it shoots very nice. It does not eject strongly and I don't favor it over my Gen 3 RTF. With that being said this is the internet. For everyone complaining many more are very happy.

Is the Gen4 17 spring a little heavy in my view.....yes. But I have never shot a softer recoiling 9mm.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I think that gun companies are thinking like computer companies now. They think we will buy the newest thing even if they are not as refined as the previous model. I have not heard much good about Gen 4 but give it time. It will all work out in time.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'm gonna stick with my Gen 3's. They fit me perfectly and function 100%. I don't see how the Gen 4's can improve on that.

5. boyscoutG36

boyscoutG36 Armorer

I've owned both, I just bought a Gen4 G17 for both my wife and I. It is an outstanding pistol, I had no issues and my wife only had an issue with Gen1 mags but it was flawless otherwise. I like the grip more than the Gen3 and the oversize mag release is a good improvement. I wouldn't pay extra for any of this, but mine are blue label so they cost the same as a Gen3. I guess I must be the exception.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. bentbiker

bentbiker

I think 99% of Gen4 owners have had positive posts. A few have expressed a concern over FTF's during the first 200 rds due to the stiffer recoil spring, but most (all?) have come back and said it disappeared after 200 or so rds. Million and one complaints mentioned by OP -- don't think so.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I like the 3rd Gen models.
    I really like the RTF2 models.
    I absolutely LOVE the 2nd Gen models!

Not a fan of the Gen 4 at all,......nothing it offers appeals to me.

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I think people don't complain enough when their gun works well.

:)

9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I have a Gen4 G22. Put 400 rounds thru it the day I bought it. Put 200 rounds thru it 3 days later, not one little problem encountered, Glock reliable.

10. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

My Gen4 G17 works flawlessly, I am a huge fan of the adjustable backstraps, it now allows my wife and I to shoot the same gun.

11. Girevik61

Girevik61

I agree 100%

12. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Being a Southpaw, I'm intrigued by the gen 4s ambi mags & mag release. I've never handled an SF frame, so if a Gen4G22 feels a little better to me vs. a Gen3G22, then I could in concept, be open to it, if/when I'm ready for another full size Glock.

OTOH, I'm already conditioned to releasing a spent mag w/my shooting hand's trigger finger, & given the reasonable prices around here for a Gen3 police trade in, I'm still on the fence...

13. greenlion

greenlion

You know, I begin to think that a lot of these threads may be started by someone like Springfield or S&W sales reps simply trying to "poison the well" and encourage bad rumors about Gen4 GLOCKS. The only people I have heard complaining are a bunch of people who have never even held one and think any change or progress is negative.

The people I have heard who have ACTUALLY bought or shot one (including Mas Ayoob and friends on Proarms Podcast) have given them very good reviews.

I have a feeling that some anti GLOCK people think that if they keep repeating that the Gen 4's are bad, people will end up believing it. I'll judge for myself.

14. Larry V

Larry V

I love my G22 gen 4!!!!!

15. GreenMill

GreenMill

Gun companies need to come with up with something new to help sell guns. Sometimes new is better and sometimes it is not.

16. Coltlover

Coltlover

Test drove my new G17 Gen 4 yesterday after I replaced the trigger assembly w/a Vanek Classic. (Have them in other Glocks) Yes, there were several FTE, FTF for about the first two mags. After that, things smoothed out real well. The spring in my opinion is too strong. The gun likes hotter loads, and accuracy is right on. I like the other features of the Gen 4, and I am also a left handed shooter, so the option of switching the mag release is another +.

17. AustinTx

AustinTx

It also doesn't cost as much as some others.

I've been reading about people wanting a Glock with an adjustable grip size, for at least the last year. Now that the grip is adjustable, folks don't like the recoil spring. Some people are gonna gripe, about being hung with a NEW rope. I bet that Wolff Gunsprings comes along with any kind of recoil spring you could want for your Glock, shortly.
    :snoopy:

18. E-Money

E-Money

Well said Butch.

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I like Gen 3 better, by far. If those Gen 4 style guns with their bumpy grips are all that's available in the future, then I just won't buy any more Glocks.

20. shooting4pizza

shooting4pizza

I like the idea of waiting for each of the new models to come out and then allow the babble to settle and then access what the gen 4 is going to bring to the table. Perhaps some adjustments will need to be made but Glock will do what is necessary to maintain the dependability of the product line just as they have since the beginning. Responding to each of the “internet experts” is mindlessly unproductive.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010