Is it legal for local police to pull you over for.......?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Dog Dad, Nov 19, 2019.

1. selogic

selogic

A while back my wife was coming home late at night . She passed a local PD sitting in the median . He turned around and followed her for a while and finally lit her up . When he walked up to her car he saw her " Deputy Sheriff's Mom " decal and got real apologetic and concerned for her safe trip home . She asked him why he pulled her over and he said she was slow to dim her lights . He was trolling for DWI's and that was his excuse .:cop:

2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

For sure, a big +1, from me. We are all better off because that was posted.

It only takes a few weeks to affect change (effect change? Not sure). Start with warnings. People talk. Sometimes, that’s enough. If not, move to citations. When people start complaining about getting bright headlight citations, on social media, people learn and respond.

OGW, larry_minn and AdamRodgers like this.

3. amd65

amd65

Some of the worst bright headlight offenders are...police vehicles.
    A couple months ago, my wife and I were driving home from work.
    We pulled up to a four way stop, and an SUV pulled up. His lights were so bright, all I could tell was that it was an SUV. I had the right of way, and turned...the SUV followed.
    His lights were so bright, they illuminated the entire interior of our car, and I had to move my rearview mirror. Even my wife was like "who is this idiot with his stupid lights?"
    I pulled in my driveway, and could see, finally, the police markings on the side of the SUV, as he drove by.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Did anybody mention if the officer had his hat on or not? Make a yuuuuge difference in court of law....little known legal fact.

AdamRodgers and ranger1968 like this.
  5. army_eod

army_eod US Army Retired, EOD, PM, PMP

Used to have a GTI, which is a fast machine. It wants to go fast. 0500 in the dark going to work at APG, MD. Nobody on the two lane. Speed limit is 45. I am doing 80. Passed the State Police cruiser and I just figured I was toast, so I just backed off the loud pedal and sure enough, he was pulling out. I knew I was speeding. Actually going fast enough for reckless charges. Officer gave me a warning slip. Maybe it was the EOD badge stickers? I have been lucky.

6. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Where is the pot stirring emoji when we need it....:bunny:

AdamRodgers and FullClip like this.
  7. napp32

napp32

In my state it is illegal to shoot out the lights of a car driving with high beams and fog lights on at the same time....that law probably should be changed.

billorights and Caver 60 like this.
  8. remshooter

remshooter

gee ,as super bright the new light bulbs are on low beam blinding me ,how can the cops tell when they are on high beam anymore ?,, i drive a small hatchback for the long drive to work ,I know they on low beam ,i have flashed them thinking they was on high ,because they're lights were ssoooo bright ,turnes out they was on low ,but the bulbs are so bright these days

DocCasualty, Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  9. Caver 60

Caver 60

A few years ago my sister-in-law was driving my wife home in our old 60's model vehicle. My wife wasn't feeling well.

They met a vehicle and my SIL tried to dim the lights with the turn signal switch. Then she realized the switch was on the floorboard. She hit the switch a couple of times trying to figure out the dims.

The officer turned around and pulled her over. She explained the situation and the officer was real nice about it, and let them go.

10. fishhunter3

fishhunter3

STATE OF CALIFORNIA
    DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE
    1700 "J" STREET
    SACRAMENTO, CA 95368

PETE WILSON HARRY WALBRATH
    GOVERNOR DIRECTOR

BULLETIN NUMBER 95-2374
    DATE: OCTOBER 20, 1995

TO: ALL CALIFORNIA INSURANCE AGENCIES
    ALL CALIFORNIA DEALERS OF NEW/USED AUTOMOBILES

SUBJ: AUTOMOTIVE VEHICLE HEADLAMP DIMMER SWITCH

1. Pursuant to the California Department of Motor Vehicles Act Number DMV 95-79221, all motor vehicles sold in the State of California after November 1, 1995 will be required to have the headlamp dimmer switch mounted on the floor of the vehicle. The dimmer switch must be mounted in a position accessible to operation by pressing the switch with the left foot. The switch must be far enough removed from the left foot pedals to avoid any inadvertent operation and/or pedal confusion.

2. Included in the above act, and beginning January 1, 1996 all other vehicles with steering mounted switches must be retrofitted with a floor mounted dimmer switch of the type described above. The steering column mounted dimmer switch must be disabled or removed from the vehicle. Vehicles which have not made this change will fail the forthcoming California State Safety Inspection which will begin on this date.

3. It is recognized that this will cause some difficulties and hardship for the driving public. However, this change is being made in the interest of public safety. A recent study entitled Initiation Sequence in California Night Time Highway Traffic Accidents was conducted jointly by the California Department of Highway Patrol and the California Department of Motor Vehicles along with the University of California at Berkeley Public Safety Research Department. In this study it has been shown that 90-95% of all California night time traffic accidents are caused by drivers getting there foot caught in the steering wheel in an attempt to dim the headlamps of her vehicle.

larry_minn, railfancwb, Flags and 3 others like this.
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60

^^^ You sure went to a lot of trouble to type that up. Ha Ha.

BTW My SIL was visiting here from California, where she was a resident at that time.

railfancwb and AdamRodgers like this.
  12. fishhunter3

fishhunter3

no cut and paste

13. ray9898

ray9898

What is baffling to me is an adult driver who had to ask if driving with your high beams on in traffic is illegal. How do you make it that far in life without that little nugget of common info?

larry_minn, Caver 60 and OGW like this.
  14. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

High beams when not needed is a violation of the Vehicle Code. It is also means about 15% probability they are Drunk Driving. So good observation for the local community cop doing his job. :cop:

railfancwb and Caver 60 like this.
  15. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Teenager or young adult.

As a lawman I was having lunch at Hooters and my waitress asked me how does blind people drive? I told her by the braille method, they listen to the bumps in the road. The blondie answered, "blind people are smart".
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. teeceetx

teeceetx

Becoming popular in my area now, making right turns from the far left lane, or vice versa. Cutting across one, sometimes two lanes of traffic! Also, the "no signal" lane change or turn. How freakin hard is it for you to use your turn signals?! In the 5 years I've been here, the drivers have gotten noticeably worse.

railfancwb, Caver 60 and G26-Has-my-6 like this.
  17. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

not to mention left lane texters....

railfancwb and AdamRodgers like this.
  18. glock_collector

glock_collector

Or...you are doing a motor paper route! as a young kid, 1 am, delivering papers, saw the officer behind me for some time, he asked "what ya doin?" told him wtf does it look like, I stop at EVERY blue box and put something in it....he did'nt recognize my truck and I knew him from hs...told him to go find something better to do..he laughed.

19. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Failure to dim.
    When I first started it was a good indicator of a possible stolen car (column peeled, resulting in high beams on).

Now it’s mostly drunks or stupid people (aren’t they the same?).

20. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Normally I'd use the "I" button, but oddly I'm finding amusement....

railfancwb likes this.