Is it legal for local police to pull you over for.......?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Big Dog Dad, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Caver 60

Caver 60

With these new cars, even the low beams are blinding.

Try meeting someone on a twisting two lane mountain road, when you are on a left hand curve and those high intensity low beam lights are coming at you from the opposite direction. Especially when there is no road shoulder. White knuckle time.

There should be a law.

2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I'm just looking for a good target to hit when I flick the pickle slice off my McD's hamburger.

3. p.d.

p.d.

Well then, you're under the influence, just not the prohibited kind! And we all do what we must. :animlol:

OGW, railfancwb, Rotn1 and 3 others like this.
  4. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers 23 Year member of the 9mm Cult!

I tend to just pull my butt over and not b***h or complain.

Yes Sir, No Sir or Yes Mam, No Mam
    I will let my lawyer dispute whether it was "Legal" or not. I don't believe beside the Highway is best place for that. ;)

I also don't drive drunk and I dont take drugs.

If you run from the cops you need your head cracked with a Mag-Light. :animlol:

nikerret, larry_minn, mj9mm and 8 others like this.
  5. p.d.

p.d.

In my experience, this is very common.

railfancwb likes this.
  6. DonD

DonD

Many people, even those with some knowledge of law enforcement have no way of knowing what cops are doing at any one time.

My son is a retired cop and people were always calling into dispatch whining about a cruiser or whatever speeding. The speeding cop could be on a no sirens dispatch call and other cars have no clue.

Cops can and do legally pull people over for lots of valid reasons.

Here in central TX, on the two lane into the nearby town, I was pulled over by a sheriff's deputy. I had no clue, I wasn't speeding or weaving. Deputy asked why I was driving as far to the right as I was? I said because all the bozos in the oncoming lane keep crossing the center line and into my lane. He laughed and said he needed to give me a warning so that the Sheriff would think he was keeping busy. Don

ironhead7544, mj9mm and AdamRodgers like this.
  7. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

That ticket would be for you improper equipment use and totally deserved.
    Many idiots around here put big light bars in their pick up trucks and drive at night with them on, those are 100 times worse than high beams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Actually its illegal to use your horn for almost everything except emergencys, or to avoid them. Ive handed out many tickets to knuckle heads who think they can honk a horn in anger at a squad car. And yes its illegal to use high beams when anther vehicle is within a certain distance.

AdamRodgers and Caver 60 like this.
  9. flyover

flyover

Even some of the low beams cause trouble. When Dad first got his 07 Honda, there were many times while driving with the low beams on that we would get the flash of highs beams from oncoming cars. A quick flash of the high beams let them know we were on low.

AdamRodgers, Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  10. glock_collector

glock_collector

When I used to haul heavy, I knew even my low beams were up too far... sorry..I always thought an "auto leveler" retro kit for trucks would sell. Just a servo motor on the adjustment screw....I know some of the oncoming traffic was pretty upset with me.

AdamRodgers and Caver 60 like this.
  11. Dave514

Dave514

12. glock_collector

glock_collector

International black film festival??? Dave 514 please educate me...

Caver 60, Dan H and FullClip like this.
  13. FullClip

Internet Best Friends Forever?

glock_collector likes this.
  14. railfancwb

railfancwb

You can accomplish the same result - blinding oncoming traffic - with your headlights on regular if you drive a jacked up pickup or Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caver 60 and WeeWilly like this.
  15. glock_collector

glock_collector

is a dude hitt'in on me?

pgg00, WeeWilly and FullClip like this.
  16. FullClip

Just take it as a complement that someone as cerebral and mystical as he takes notice of you.

17. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

Most degenerate drivers here in Florida drive with Hi-beams on because they have a regular headlight bulb out and are too lazy to change it out. Police dont waste time with Hi-beams down here so you see it a lot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

picrthis likes this.
  18. glock_collector

glock_collector

I will grasshopper...and I am deeply honored....

FullClip likes this.
  19. litework

litework

My driver's education instructor told me we were required to honk the horn to alert a driver ahead when passing. This was a long time ago but I still see references to it.

mj9mm and railfancwb like this.
  20. Ftttu

Ftttu

“Sec. 547.333. MULTIPLE-BEAM LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIRED. (a) Unless provided otherwise, a headlamp, auxiliary driving lamp, auxiliary passing lamp, or combination of those lamps mounted on a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped:

(1) shall be arranged so that the operator can select at will between distributions of light projected at different elevations; and

(2) may be arranged so that the operator can select the distribution automatically.

(b) A lamp identified by Subsection (a) shall produce:

(1) an uppermost distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead during all conditions of loading; and

(2) a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam that:

(A) is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.

(c) A person who operates a vehicle on a roadway or shoulder shall select a distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a safe distance ahead of the vehicle, except that:

(1) an operator approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet shall select:

(A) the lowermost distribution of light or composite beam, regardless of road contour or condition of loading; or

(B) a distribution aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the lamp projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator; and

(2) an operator approaching a vehicle from the rear within 300 feet may not select the uppermost distribution of light.

(d) A motor vehicle of a model year of 1948 or later, other than a motorcycle or moped, that has multiple-beam lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator that is:

(1) designed and located so that the lighted indicator is visible without glare to the vehicle operator; and

(2) lighted only when the uppermost distribution of light is in use”

It is illegal here in Texas, and it is a regular law we enforced. Our policy got more strict over time, but we could pursue up until it became too dangerous, which by that time, a supervisor probably had called it off already.

Caver 60 likes this.