Is it just me or is the USPS Falling apart

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 6Actual, Aug 10, 2020.

1. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I agree...the crappy service is beyond the level where it could be improved. I am just looking to cut costs at this point.

The USPS allowed multiple delivery companies (UPS and FedEx to name a couple) to somehow cherry pick the profitable services and develop huge companies that make huge revenue doing essentially what the USPS could have been doing all along. There is no way residential and business letter delivery makes money unless operating costs are slashed and revenue is increased dramatically. Labor and liabilities are the lion’s share of operating costs so find a way to cut labor by 50%, then raise the postage by 50% and find ways to sell services that have little to no cost to implement is a start.

M/W/F delivery opens up the possibility of selling services like Saturday delivery, or sorting out junk mail for a fee, etc.

USPS will require massive changes to become anything but a massive money loser.

2. ItnStln

ItnStln

I’ve heard basically three same thing.
    The few times I've had them deliver my products I've had no problems with them. But I've not had enough to make a decision either way.
    That's what most companies do, sadly.
    Yeah he's the only one who thinks that way, sadly. But this is true! Employees who are paid more care more about their job.

3. nerr

nerr

That would make sense and cents. While I don't like giving away service, these cuts may well have to be made.

4. Aurora

Aurora

Living in Seattle, I get an up close look at companies like Amazon and Costco. I've got to say that I have the greatest respect for Costco. They managed to build that huge company without hurting people or destroying anything. Their building of the Kirkland brand is nothing short of incredible. It's truly an amazing feat. Amazon wants to do the same thing and is green with envy.

V.

CAcop and 63Bravo like this.
  5. berto62

berto62

How many of their problems are because of this?

In 2006, Congress passed a law that imposed extraordinary costs on the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA) required the USPS to create a $72 billion fund to pay for the cost of its post-retirement health care costs, 75 years into the future. This burden applies to no other federal agency or private corporation.

If the costs of this retiree health care mandate were removed from the USPS financial statements, the Post Office would have reported operating profits in each of the last six years. This extraordinary mandate created a financial “crisis” that has been used to justify harmful service cuts and even calls for postal privatization

https://ips-dc.org/how-congress-manufactured-a-postal-crisis-and-how-to-fix-it/

cbetts1 likes this.
  6. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

Not you. Yup, they're falling apart, and have been slowly declining for years.

7. railfancwb

railfancwb

If you are checking with your smart phone, screen prints are your friend.

8. railfancwb

railfancwb

Least expensive investments some businesses make are in CingressCritters.

9. railfancwb

railfancwb

10. CAcop

CAcop

Here's the plus side. Eventually they will make the payment and things will be stellar for them.

Kind of like how my city took out a loan to pay off CalPERS ahead of schedule. By the time the Tier 1 and 2 people are gone the Tier 3 people will be paid off. The city might actually get money back from CalPERS like they did in the 90s and early 2000s.

czsmithGT likes this.
  11. ricky

ricky Millennium Member

I am sick and tired of bailing out that agency with our tax dollars and then they never get their act together. When I rarely go to the post office everyone is on break or there is a long line and one guy open while co workers are talking to him and joking instead of opening another line. If you try to ask a question you get either attitude or no one comes to help you out. I hate that place with a vengeance and wish it would privatized so the can easily fire those that are lazy and inept.

12. ashvillemark

ashvillemark

A month ago paid for 2 -day delivery.they sent it to correct state,then set a p.o for two days ,was sent To Missouri where they tried To deliver for a week and a half.finally was delivered to Georgia.I went to p.o. Because online tracking keep saying the same thing ,lady at p.o went into a five minute speech about how it was trumps fault because he wouldn’t approve the 25 billion to bail them out.i can see one reason they loose so much money.

13. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

My carrier delivered every day precisely at 3pm. He retired. Now my mail gets here at 7:30pm, if at all. They were a no-show tonight and I'm subscribed to their mail noification via email, it showed several important letters at 9am this morning.

CAcop likes this.
  14. ItnStln

ItnStln

This

15. ray9898

ray9898

I currently have a late delivery with all 3 companies. UPS is a day late, FedEx ground is still showing an expected date of yesterday and USPS just adjusted to tomorrow.

Something strange is going on.

CAcop likes this.
  16. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

My package from Czech has been sitting in customs (ISC New York) since June 14.

17. fastbolt

fastbolt

Recently I've had one package state it was delivered, but it didn't arrive until the next day (in fine condition).

I sent 2 packages that arrived at different destinations 2 days earlier than initially estimated. (One couldn't be delivered until the original estimated date because it was a business and their office was closed in Saturday, but I was notified an attempt had been made 2 days earlier than projected, and would be made again on the next business day, which happened.)

I have been notified by some businesses to expect delays due to covid-related problems affecting shippers, but overall it's been surprisingly pretty decent.

18. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

19. thewitt

thewitt

Tracking number says a package from Amazon arrived at 5:05 yesterday and was delivered "in or around your mailbox."

That didn't happen.

I thought maybe the carrier would drop it off today.

She came and went and that didn't happen.

Though I have "USPS Mail Notification" that sends me daily mail and tells me if I have mail coming or not and includes pictures of the email... no package was in that email yesterday or today.

I submitted a lost package form today on the USPS website and informed the shipper.

Sigh.

20. CAcop

CAcop

The 7 day a week schedule is ****ing things up. The 6 day a week was problematic because a lot of people had split days off. They generally would get on in the middle of the week and one weekend day. We have people delivering that are not in uniform. I think they are supervisors trying to clear out backlogs.

They really need to go to 5 days a week at most unless you pay for premium delivery to cover the cost of paying people OT or hiring part timers.