Is it just me or is the USPS Falling apart

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 6Actual, Aug 10, 2020.

1. CAcop

CAcop

That is the problem with USPS. Everyone wants low cost, max service, fast.

They should just offer no cost, minimal service, full service for a premium price, and then a mid range model.

The minimal service will be no more than one post office within 30 minutes drive time of any address in the US. No more weekend deliveries unless you pay extra. Maybe no more deliveries to a mailbox on your property without paying extra. Group mailboxes at the end of the street or PO pick up only.

2. ItnStln

ItnStln

What's your point? If FedEx was run like the USPS they would have been bankrupt years ago!

Ghost doctor and SleeperSS like this.

3. wapiti22

wapiti22

A package was shipped to me from Oregon on July 8. I'm In Seattle. I got it today.

Problems at the PO __ Yup!!!!

4. ItnStln

ItnStln

Where does USPS deliver that FedEx and UPS don't? Does DHL even deliver non international packages in the US anymore? I've lived in places in the US that mail wasn't delivered outside of the post office but FedEx and UPS both delivered to the house.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  5. ItnStln

ItnStln

I'd say the Republicans know things would improve by privatizing USPS.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  6. ItnStln

ItnStln

That seems to only apply to government agencies.

7. ItnStln

ItnStln

Out of curiosity were you a FedEx pilot?
    Last I heard the HNL-GUM route is UPS. Also I'm told sim.e first class gets put on passenger carriers but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

8. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Parts of Alaska, for one.

FedEx and UPS deliver to a lot of places that USPS does because they frequently use the USPS as the backbone. You've never seen that on your shipping labels? If you own a shipping service, you're really going to fly and truck a package out to some small town for a few bucks, instead of dropping it off with the USPS and pocketing the difference?

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  9. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Works for me, even the same delivery guy for many years, he wears a pith helmet and almost always walks up our steep hill of our dead end circle.

jimcorbin likes this.
  10. ItnStln

ItnStln

I'd hardly call it a backbone. FedEx offers SmartPost and UPS offers SurePost and Mail Innovations where the packages move through the respective carrier's ground network and is handed off to the destination post office for delivery. Hardly using USPS as a backbone!

11. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

I deli
    I delivered in some pretty remote areas in my career at FedEx. I just had a pkg from rockauto delivered by DHL the other day...1 day earlier than expected.

12. GlockPolock

GlockPolock

Yeah they have their delivery issues. Still the best .50 cent deal out there. I have mobility issues and the temp mail person knocked on my door and handed me the package and all our mail. I have a small sign on the inside of our mailbox. It’s unfortunately across the street from us. It reads. Dear Mail person. Can you please put our flag down after delivery? We have mobility issues and do not want to needlessly walk across the street. Thank you!

DROBIAZG

jimcorbin, flyover and cyberghostx13 like this.
  13. cyberghostx13

Reminds me of this great movie circa 1926, "The General" starring Buster Keaton. He coodinated the stunts and the scenes and did all the stunts himself, and they were dangerous. image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Dangerous stunt, ya, ya, you betcha!

GlockPolock, flyover and Doc Holliday like this.
  14. cyberghostx13

Well maybe some of the congress schmucks like the three stooges(Just guess, tain't rocket science) should go out delivering the mail......in ButtF***, Alaska.

railfancwb likes this.
  15. Naelbis

Naelbis

I'm not sure things would improve as much as some already rich people would get even richer. For every USPS horror story I have a UPS or Fedex one from shipping tens of thousands of packages per year working in supply chain. UPS once lost three next day air shipments in a ROW that we shipped at my previous employer and it took 15 man hours of phone calls and threats to our account reps before they even admitted it. Any organization that moves billions of packages a year around the world is going to have hiccups.

railfancwb and cyberghostx13 like this.
  16. cyberghostx13

Well what do you expect when they take away the private strippers? Oops, my bad, sorry.

railfancwb likes this.
  17. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

Okay, so let's pretend those contracts don't exists and talk about why the USPS isn't profitable. Every time this thread comes up, I always like to point out the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (H.R. 2382 & S.2965) signed into law by Dubya. This act compelled the postal service to "pay in advance for the health and retirement benefits of all of its employees for the next 50 years, and stipulated that the price of postage could not increase faster than the rate of inflation." Pre-funding retirement accounts for 50 years is something that no other public, or private, entities have to do. How do you make a profit when you have to place $6 billion dollars aside every year? Seems like it was poisoned by... well, now we're getting political.

I really hope we don't get to the point where we have to depend on private companies to deliver mail and packages. Having worked for telecom in the past, I can say for certain that telecoms/ISPs ignore locations that are not profitable. Wouldn't want that for mail, but then again, I've always been "city folks" and in the profitable, metropolitan areas.

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Hardcore for the time period, no CGI tricks there...and NO WAY any studio would let their leading actor get away with doing that nowadays...

railfancwb, flyover and cyberghostx13 like this.
  19. legalsten

legalsten

Same problem here .Usps can not handle the added volume from online ordering. So if you can't handle your current volume , let's add mail in voting . Sounds like a total cluster &%$# from the start .

Just to be fair I had a package delivered from UPS on Saturday and it was a regular shipment not overnight . Also had a friend get a Fed Ex package delivered on Sunday and it was a business so they tossed it over the fence and it got rained on last night . They are all overloaded .

CAcop likes this.
  20. cyberghostx13

Well since there haven't been any live sports whatsoever on TV beacuse of kneeling, blm and cv19 I have adapted, just in Vietnam, adapt and move on. I have always loved comedy but I never got into Silent Comedy, no real reason really, comedy has always been exempted from my no B&W rule. However since cv19 I have made a few exceptions like the genre "Film Noir".

Back to silent comedy. Harold Loyd also did his own stunts, check out the movie "Safety First", especially the hanging from the clock hand scene, no ropes or safety harnesses...yikes!!!

Doc Holliday likes this.