Is it just me or is the USPS Falling apart

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 6Actual, Aug 10, 2020.

1. ItnStln

ItnStln

This

2. DAW9347

DAW9347

I ship parts orders USPS priority mail practically every day and have only had one person call and ask about his parts during these crazy times of Covid. USPS admits, the package was lost, but the automatic $50.00 insurance with priority mail covered the loss.
    There is a post office 16 miles each way to the towns north and south of me and they are always looking for people to become employees, so that may be an issue in other places also.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.

3. nerr

nerr

Yes. A while ago they floated the idea of cancelling Saturday delivery and Congress canned that.

USPS has worst of all worlds. Seems to me they were made pseudo-private, but being the Federal mail, they still have all the rules and Congress as their boss.

cyberghostx13 and CAcop like this.
  4. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Another crack smoker. Obama didn't make UPS use the usps...FedEx either for that matter. The reason UPS & FedEx drops pkgs off at the PO is because that's what the shipper wants. It lowers their shipping costs. Doesn't anybody research anymore??

DADoser, SevenSixtyTwo and CAcop like this.
  5. thewitt

thewitt

Actually, privatization does not have to result in lack of services for the remote routes.

This was discussed at great length in a conference in DC back in the early 2000s, and bids for privatization would include preservation of remote service. A close friend of my attended and we discussed the outcome over several adult beverages...

There were more than 40 companies involved in the initial conference in DC who would be willing to put in bids to provide services to all current USPS customers.

Best guess is that it would be someone with current distribution capabilities - UPS, FedEx, etc - but there was lots of interest at the time.

6. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Not FedEx's or UPS's fault...shipper chose that service.

7. ItnStln

ItnStln

There's already areas where USPS doesn't deliver to mailboxes and one must go to a post office. As for Saturday and Sunday deliveries, I wasn't aware of anything getting delivered on Sundays aside from Amazon packages. But if ending those helps improve the service than so be it. Privatize it and let it either improve its service or fail!

8. bdcochran

bdcochran

The only current problem is that weeks later the original tracking number is declared to have never been in the system. This is from NJ to CA . Had that happen earlier this year -CA to DE. This is one way of dealing with missing packages.

railfancwb likes this.
  9. CAcop

CAcop

We have two mailman basically. One at 11 for USPS and one at 3 for UPS.

I think Amazon orders are swamping them.

10. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

The only time USPS has ever done me wrong, was when I received my Tax Stamp. It arrived looking like someone peeled out on it with the truck. I called the ATF, the couldn't replace it, but the signed form from the inspector would do. I don't take my SBR out much, because I'm uncomfortable with that answer.

railfancwb likes this.
  11. ItnStln

ItnStln

If I'm not mistaken some routes are already done by contractors.
    That wouldn't surprise me as both FedEx and UPS move mail on their aircraft and trucks. FedEx's largest customer is USPS if what I'm told is true.

12. ItnStln

ItnStln

This don't blame the shipper for the service the customer chose.

13. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

FedEx has contracts to move Express & Priority mail to the tune of 1+ billion dollars per year.

14. BIGJC

BIGJC

Same for me. I have the "Informed Delivery" app that shows you a picture of the mail you're supposed to be receiving that day. There is hardly a week that goes by that I'm not missing something.

15. JimWillson

JimWillson

ATF told me they could send a certified copy if my dealer requested it.

G19Tony likes this.
  16. ItnStln

ItnStln

I knew about the contract but not the annual revenue. Other airlines have similar, albeit smaller, contracts too.

17. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I have a question or two. I looked into becoming a mail carrier about a year ago after the company I was with shut down. I took a sample test or two and it seemed very tricky. Look at a dozen addresses for 30 seconds then 2 minutes later spot the error type of thing. I can’t believe that my carriers passed any such tests. Was this just a fake scare tactic? Is the USPS only hiring slugs like the TSA does. No offense meant. I’m not a dummy and I found it to be quite a challenge. There’s no way the carriers around here passed a test like that.

18. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

This is completely true. This is all due to the pandemic and massive increases in E commerce. Larger than Xmas level volumes for numerous months now. I work for the freight division of Fedex. We deal with palletized/heavy shipments therefore the vast majority of our customers are business/commercial. The widespread lockdowns actually slowed us way down to the point of freight drivers being designated to help the parcel (Fedex ground) division and they still can’t keep up. There are two Fedex freight terminals in the metropolitan area I work and both have several drivers helping out Fedex ground four days a week. At one point I know ground was nearly ten days behind. I’m sure it is much better than that now but we still have the freight drivers working Fedex ground. I have heard this is scheduled into September but I suspect it will be extended through Xmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  19. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I just mailed another letter to this same destination. It should be there by the end of this week. We shall see.

20. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

I know I hate it when Amazon “teams” with the post office for delivery. They may as well take 10% of their packages and let them sit in a parking lot unattended for ten days prior to shipping them.

You mention that Anywhere in an order review, don’t expect to see it posted at all..