Is Glock really "still inexpensive" ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gfive45, May 20, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

As far as sub-compact ‘single stack’ 9mm’s you’re right, Glock isn’t in the same zip code.

Yeah, Armslist has gotten stupid. I’ve seen folks asking as much as $800-$900 for a Glock with night sights. They aren’t selling of course. In normal times, $400 or less for a used Glock with some extras is about right.

Nanuk and boilergonzo like this.
  2. Pluto57

Pluto57

Glocks are without a doubt great firearms, but they're not inexpensive for the type. They do tend to be reliable, but then so do most firearms from reputable manufacturers. Heck, even Hi Points get high marks for reliability. I think where Glocks stand apart, and it has little to do with the gun itself, is in parts availability, both factory and aftermarket. This isn't a big deal for lots of gun owners, tho, because they aren't interested in switching out parts and most will never shoot enough rounds through the gun to wear anything out.

Davers, Deputydave and 9jeeps like this.

3. 1911junkee

1911junkee

I am a huge proponent of the GLOCK 19, I have owned almost every brand of pistol out there over the years and for me, all roads lead back to Gaston. I have both a Gen 4, and a Gen 5.

I tend to favor the 4, just me, everone is different. The 4 with Tru-Glo night sights is my EDC, and the 5 lives on the night stand wearing factory night sights and a Streamlight TRS-1.

It cannot be easily disputed that the GLOCK's are the most reliable pistols on the planet.

I googled most popular pistol in the world just for the hell of it and this came up - Quote - "The Glock 19 is the best-selling pistol in America and one of the most popular pistols worldwide. Not only is it very reliable and accurate, but it's also a very compact size for concealed carry while also being large enough to get a full firing grip with." - Unquote.

I have found them to be reasonably priced as well. I paid $495- out the door for the Gen 4, and $535- out the door for the Gen 5, sans the Streamlight.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Mr Meeseeks, WPGlocks and TGT like this.
  4. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

How so ? Nothing is perfect.

Davers, TGT, Scott1970 and 1 other person like this.
  5. cyphertext

cyphertext

Agree with those who say Glock is more on the expensive side for a polymer gun. Never see Glocks at blowout clearance prices like S&W, Ruger, etc. Glock comes out with a new generation, and buying one gen back saves you maybe $100, where they were almost giving away the older S&W M&P series guns when the newer version came out.

TGT likes this.
  6. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Ever been with a beautiful woman that was a total beatch ?

A plain Jane that's reliable and consistent is much more preferable IMO. Just like a Glock

7. anjroid86

anjroid86

I paid $580 plus tax for my G45. Idk how people are paying such low prices.

8. Bus007

Bus007

I can usually find M&Ps for 50 to 100 dollars cheaper than a similar Glock. Glock magazines are almost always cheaper. Before the pandemic a G19 gen 3 or 4 was $499. I think they are still a good value.

Small_Axe likes this.
  9. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Wrong.

10. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I've been buying Glocks since 2012. I still have all of them. The current prices I'm finding is generally less than what I paid for any of mine. There's a lot more competition now and many have lower prices. Nothing wrong with it, but I retired my Glock 43 in favor of a Sig P365. It's not cheaper, but I just liked the Sig better. If my 43 had finger grooves like my Gen 3 and 4 Glocks and a little more capacity, I'd probably passed on the Sig.

boilergonzo likes this.
  11. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I own a pile of glocks so its pretty simple that i thknk they have there place. I bought up some new gen 3 rtf 2 glocks. I think the gill on the slide is cool and they stopped making them. I have several gen 3 police trade in glocks. I am not a fan of gen 3 because i hate finger grooves. So the glocks i like are all gen 2. I think i have 6 or more.. i only use a g19 or two.

My shields have been flawless and the gen 2 45 acp shields at less than 300 bucks were a steal. They have been 100 percent great. I like 45 and 10mm and 357 sig for carry.
    I have glock gen 2 g20 plus two g21's.. my daughters favorite house gun.. 14 rounds of critical duty in 45 or 16 rounds of critical duty in 10mm. Those glocks are trusted and with a better finish and no mim parts my gen 2 glocks are going noplace.

12. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

It’s the only gun I trust my life with so I would say priced just right.

13. Capone

Capone

I payed 550 for my g45 and 509 for my m&p 2.0 never had a failure with either one. Like the look of the m&p better and the grip. Currently trying to sell the g45.

Redeemed likes this.
  14. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

In the past Glock has been able to crush competition with low prices and/or law suits. With several different Gen 3 copies out there now it will be interesting to see how Glock engages. Will they even care or will they try to price them out of business? Time will tell, but a price war would be nice for the consumer.

15. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

What gets me is how I've been hearing people say they're buying Glocks new from dealers for under the $500 mark. For comparison, I hit Cabela's and looked for anything UNDER $500, and found 10 other brands including S&W, SA, Stoeger, Walther, RockIsland, Beretta

Glock has strict price controls for their licensed dealers and distributors that dictate how low they can be sold for.. and the penalties for violation are ridiculous:

"If it is determine by GLOCK that a Distributor/Dealer has violated the terms of this Policy, GLOCK can require all Distributors/Dealers to: • Cease and desist all further sales to that offending Distributor/Dealer; • Discontinue support of any sponsorship; • Accelerate payment of any and all monies owed GLOCK by Distributor/Dealer under any then-applicable credit agreement notwithstanding any “current” account status; and • Place violating Distributor/Dealer on a “Do Not Sell” list."

This came from their 'Unilateral Dealer/Distributor Minimum Price Policy"

16. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I remember in the mid to late 1990s 9mm Glocks selling for about $400. Twenty, twenty-five years later, they're still selling for about that $$$ (excluding gen 5s).

In those 20-25 years, Glock quality has become the "standard" and other polymer makers attempt to build a better mouse trap. So one marketing tool to differentiate themselves from Glock is to sell their guns for less than Glocks. It seems even Glock's prices have become the industry's "standard."

So are Glocks "inexpensive?" I say Yes. Sure, by selling for $450 to $550 per gun, each gun might have a higher profit margin than other brands. But me paying a one time cost of $450 to $550 for a tool that likely for the next 30 to 40 years I can trust to defend my/family's life with? Very inexpensive.

Range toys? Shop by price point... NP.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  17. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Price is set by demand.

Sig was practically giving away SP2022s and people started buying them.
    Then, the price slowly went back up.

grumpy1 likes this.
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Armslist has always been like that. The only thing more amazing than people stupid enough to try to sell a used gun for more than it would cost new is the number of people who are willing to buy it.

19. Nanuk

Nanuk

They are not less reliable either.

20. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

I'd have to disagree with this. The newer Glocks have lost the Tennifer finish and have started to use MIM parts. I'd say that the older guns were a bargain for what you got. With the Tennifer finish, I consider those some of the best carry guns ever made. Now, today? Still a good deal, but nothing all that special anymore.

RetropM, Davers and Bus007 like this.