close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is Glock giving California the finger?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Shiloh13, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Shiloh13

Shiloh13

OK. So as I understand it from distributers, Glock will soon discontinue making the Gen3 Glock models. Since it is highly unlikely that the Gen4 Glocks can get past the California insanity test, will Glock simply stop selling to the California civilian market?

So much for being a loyal Glock fan. GSSF will dry up and blow away after a while as well. We are fighting the laws as much as possible, but it seems many of the knowledgeable gun owners that could have helped win a fight or two have simply covered their own butts and bailed.

Has anyone heard Glocks position on this?

2. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Glock will not be discontinuing Gen3 guns anytime soon.

3. Shiloh13

Shiloh13

Fact? Or opinion?

I would love that to be the case.

4. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

GLOCK 22 is the only Gen4 gun available, and I am told it is only available to LE dealers. It will be months if not a year+ before Gen4 is expanded to all Glock Models.

5. hasselbach

hasselbach

There have been a lot of people getting 4th gens who are not LEO's on this site. Can't you use your GSSF at Ed's and pick one up?

6. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

I did not say you could not get one, but it is not Generally Available to all dealers yet.

7. Shiloh13

Shiloh13

Not in California.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

I know it would probably end up hurting California shooters, but I think all gun manufacturers should snub California. At least in the LEO sales. Barrett is the only one I'm aware of that canceled contracts with California law enforcement since they would not allow his products for law abiding citizens. If all companies would do this Every law enforcement agency in California would do a quick 180 and petition for better gun regulations so they could get what they need too. If the LEO's were on our side more it would never get as bad as it is.

9. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

If you're worried about not being able to get another Glock in the near future then just go out and get one now. Make it a priority. Would you rather eat out, not work overtime, catch a show at the theater or put that money in the kitty for a new Glock?

The Gen3 will not be discontinued for a long while, not so long as so many LE Agencies use them. Even if all those agencies changed to the Gen4 then you'd still be able to pick up police trade ins and refurbed guns.

Look on the bright side though. A spare Glock taking up room in your closet is a fine use of space in my opinion.

10. Forty-eight

Forty-eight

Why is it unlikely that the gen 4 Glocks would probably be legal in CA?

11. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

They look too weird too me though.

12. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Starting this year all new semi-autos that want to be sold in CA must have a magazine disconnect safety and a loaded chamber indicator. Therefore, any new Glock must have both these features to be sold in CA.

All semi-auto models that are already on CA's "not unsafe" list can still be sold in CA. If any pistol is withdrawn from the list or drops off will not be allowed back onto the list unless said features are included.

All this BEFORE the manufacturer submits numerous guns for drop testing and paying several thousand dollars in "fees" to the state for the privilege of having their sample guns destroyed in tests and being able to sell that one specific model of pistol in CA.

So that's why CA will never see any new Glock models.

Then again there is the microstamping law that goes into effect next year, but that's another story.

13. michael88

michael88

well one is the ambidextorous mag release. Apparently of all the dangerous things about a firearm, that's the worst.

14. Shiloh13

Shiloh13

I would totally support Glock if they pulled out of both the LE and the civilian market. But pulling out of the civilian market in this way is only supporting the ridiculous legislation getting passed in this state.

And don't fool yourself. If California gets away with removing handguns in this manner, many other states will follow. As long as it passes legal challenges... and it has so far, though many more may be coming... other states will jump on this way of defeating our 2nd amendment rights. And if gun manufacturers bow to the LEO's and forsake the citizens, we are all in a world of hurt.

15. Shiloh13

Shiloh13

And as for making the Glock my priority, it definitely is. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, I have four shooters in my family to support. This includes two 20 yr. old boys looking for their first handguns.

The idea was to outfit the family with Glocks and let them loose on the GSSF competitions here in California. My wife and I shot them many years ago, and the boys enjoyed watching back then. They have been looking forward to being able to start competing on their own.

The boys started shooting when they were 5-6 or so, but we have been out of it for a little while. The competitions will help them learn to better handle the firearms under a little bit of stress, and get them a solid foundation for future firearms experience. We just have to do what we can.

16. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2018

I like the Gen4s.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  17. capecodcowboy

capecodcowboy

you can not buy a Glock unless it was made prior to 1998 in Mass. AG regs make it almost impossible to get a handgun.....Best of luck in CA as MA and CA have the most draconian firearm regs in the Nation and I fear it is not going to get any better on either coast during this administration.....Hope I am wrong but we will see!

18. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

What have YOU done to elect gun friendly representatives?

What are you GOING to do about the election this fall?

It's a question that only matters to citizens. Are you a citizen?

19. SawgrassRaven

SawgrassRaven

20. Tru7h

Tru7h

Excuse the naive question, but what is a magazine disconnect safety? It sounds like it's a safety which won't allow the weapon to fire if the magazine is removed?