Is Gen 4 G19 reliable?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by alphawolf407, Oct 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. alphawolf407

alphawolf407

Getting ready to buy a gun.

Is the Gen 4 G19 as reliable as previous models?

2. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

depends on who you ask... some seem to have zero problems, others seem to have many problems. From what I have read it seems like a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll end up with a good one. If you want no questions asked, dead nuts reliability, get a gen 3 19.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010

3. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Depends on who you ask. I would say, Glock is getting there. The problems they've had, are a work in progress. There ‘s more positive than negative out there. Again, depending on who you ask.

Go to this thread: https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272928

This deals with the facts-based breakages- of the Gen 4s. And there's some interesting stuff there, about the G19 Gen 4. I'd check it out.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

ANOTHER thread on this topic?

:deadhorse:

5. matteblack

matteblack

Absolutely! Mine, like the majority, has been 100% as you would expect from Glock. :cool:

6. pochis

pochis

i feel like its fine, just fired the first 100 out of mine 115gr fed ae and like many have said fire some full power loads and thisgun will run fine. afew loads to look at are fiochi115 or 124grfmj, fed 124 win nato, will serve you well.

7. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

I have 2 G19 gen4 and are as reliable as any gun as i have ever had. Every Glock dealer in my area have had no person complain about them at all...sure some people have issues look on any gun forum you see some issues but because the gen4 are new some are a little paranoid and dillusional. But i liked the feel of the gen4 so much better i payed the internet hysteria no attention. If you look at the thread for GEN4 Owners only With NO Problems you will see most Who Own Them Really Like Them...If the gen4 G19 was not available i would pass..but that is not saying the gen3 is bad i just like the gen4 Much Better...Good Luck

8. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 Stiffy

Only with certain types of ammo, under certain conditions,and even then only if the shooter is professional enough to shoot a GEN 4.

9. alphawolf407

alphawolf407

Sorry. I guess this post is a bit troll like. I just searched the forum and see some have issues. I think they are so popular that if there was a defect, we'd here A LOT more than the few posts here.

10. Aaron Geisler

Aaron Geisler

My Gen 4 Glock 19 works fine.

11. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

Well said Dean and common sense if you would like i will give you several Glock Dealers/Glock Armorers just PM me and i will give you names and phone numbers these guys sell alot of Glocks and one Armorer i know carries a gen4 G19..only problem is they have diffculty keeping them in stock....

12. ashecht

ashecht

I am in better position than most to talk to the reliability of the Gen4 G19. I have had mine for about two months now. Thinking it was just like my Gen3 G23, I took it to the range after cleaning/lubing. Attempted to shoot the same Federal champion ammo that my Gen3 G23 ate like candy. Well, I couldnt get two rounds to fire in succession without a failure to feed or eject. Then I got some advice from GT members like rack the freakin slide a thousand times which I did. I then went and shot about 150 rounds of 124 grain ammo. my next trip to the range , got 1 fte with Fed and WWB. 3rd trip, one fte. My last two trips, zero fte's. So, the moral of the story is, if there are issues, it is because the new double spring is extremely stiff, and would need to be worked in, either with 124 gr ammo, alot of slide racking, or both. Now that my gun functions properly, I can tell I am glad I bought the Gen4. Being a lefty, the ambi mag release is important to me, as is the texture which is perfect for my sweaty hands. And the interchangeable backstraps are also a plus to me, as my hands are a bit on the larger side, and I like the medium size backstrap. Would I do it again, you betcha, cause I am a Glock guy! And if it continued to malfunction, I know that Ed's Public Safety and/or Glock would make it right

13. tedk

tedk

Zero problems with my gen4 19 450 rounds down range and I love mine. If you can love a gun.

14. AZ_Quailhunter

AZ_Quailhunter NRA Life Member

My G19 is a gen. 3 and works flawless.

15. Reswob

Reswob

I would wait until the problems are sorted out, or get a Gen 3 and save $50. Do you really need a reversible mag release?

16. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

Dean, asked about the G19 gen4 NOT the gen can't people read........................

17. nostradumass

nostradumass Toten a 36

I dont remember seeing anyone have a problem with SD ammo or good FMJ. Shoot a couple of boxes of higher power factor FMJ then you can shoot Fed. Champ. like I did. The recoil with the higher power factor ammo in a Gen4 is about like shooting Fed Champ out if a Gen3.NICE :wavey:

18. ctkenc

ctkenc

Mine certainly has been .... an absolute delight to shoot; great results and very comfortable. Not one single issue after about 1,000 WWB Ken

19. deeHKman

deeHKman "It Is Written"

I mix WWB and Fed+9+BPLE and with my gen4 cannoy tell which of the rounds is being fired...Simply amazing gun especially with its low weight and not notice wimpy ammo to hot.....I am glad i bought two...great observation nostradumass and another plus for the gen4....

20. kjdoski

kjdoski

Alpha - I'd say go ahead and get it. You may be unlucky, like me and some others who have replied here, and end up with a finicky eater, or one that develops gremlins. If the former is the issue, simple fixes like locking the slide back and leaving it that way for a couple of days, or racking the slide to dry fire repeatedly will most likely resolve the issue.

As many have stated, the overwhelming majority of owners are happy with theirs.

But, if you ask my opinion of what ONE PISTOL I would trust to pick up out of the box, load with SD ammo, and go to a gun fight, it wouldn't be the Gen4, it would be the 3rd Gen...

Regards,

Kevin