close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is Bomar rear and Dawson front GSSF legal?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DistantTea, Feb 4, 2005.

1. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

I bought the Bomars from CGR but also ordered the additional Dawson front. I've always been a fan of that combo ever since I shot a TGO style Springfield 1911.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Fiber optic front sights are not legal. You must remove it, black it out or shoot Unlimited Masters Category with it.

3. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Can I just take the tube out? Or maybe manufacture a black plastic tube to insert for GSSF matches?

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You may remove the tube if you like.

5. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Thats too easy. I'm way too much the nerd to do just that. I'm going to make a plastics mold and make my own solid, non fiberoptic, insert. Shouldn't be too hard.

I like those front dawsons too much to use anything else and I can't afford another gun for GSSF yet.

6. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

I emailed Dawson about the possibility of solid, nonfiber optic inserts for GSSF glock owners. The sales guy thought it was a fantastic idea and they are now investigating the purchase of solid plastic inserts, hopefully in solid colors so it does something a little better than the same thing black tape will get you.

Yeah I'm putting too much effort into this... I know.

7. DeLandSkyjumper

DeLandSkyjumper Play'naNewGame

Ok, so if I remove the optic front, can I paint a dot on the front blade then and still be leagl.

Looks like Orlando w/ be my first GSSF match.

DistantTea, good idea.:)

8. mike from philly

mike from philly

Use a sharpie marker to black out the optic. After the match, use a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol to remove the black. Works great.

9. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

You people and your "easy" fixes to problems. Sheesh

Like its sooo hard to make a plastic mold and recast your own inserts? Or contact the company and have them invest in supplying specialty inserts for the GSSF crowd and then maybe receive said inserts some 6 months down the road.

Sharpie? Tape? Bleh, such effective and easy solutions to minor problems have no place in my life... no sir. Now I need to get back to digging a mote around my house to keep the stray cats away and building a robot that will scratch that spot on my back I can't reach.

10. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

FWIW, TruGlo makes a solid "white pipe" that replaces the fibre optic front sight to make everything GSSF legal.

When I called to inquire, the guy knew exactly what I was talking about, and actually asked if I'd planned on using the gun for GSSF.

11. Carlitos

Carlitos

I used a sharpie on the fiberoptic on my GSSF17 at MD 04. Even made a point of showing it to the RO at the 1st stage. Sight looked like solid steel (from behind).

HOWEVER, to the guys under the next tent over (seeing it from the side) it looked like I was CHEATING & they loudly said so (so how did they know what class I was shooting anyway?!?! They did not know & just assumed).

Quick trip up to stats & the nice lady there came to the match equiped with a spray can of sight black that solved the problem for good. I think fiber optic sights are over rated anyway & not the way to go for most sports (USPSA, IDPA, etc.).

D.C. Johnson

12. Racer BA

Racer BA

Fiber Optics are great for USPSA.