close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

is big head on a beer good?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by 97guns, Dec 26, 2005.

1. 97guns

97guns

ive been pouring my beer into a frozen mug lately (easier to slam quickly) and noticed some stuff heads up alot more than others. although some of the headier stuff is big i can still keep it down by pouring slowly at an angle. just wondering what all this means

2. noway

noway

Generally I don't like a head on my beers. A big head is not okay in my book unless it dissipate quick. You did find out that the rate you pour does effect the the head. The head is caused by air mixing in with the bear when pouring.

3. General Sherman

General Sherman

I am not an expert by any means, but what I read about brewing beer, the makers look to produce a big head. It is an indication of quality.

I do like my brew to have fizz and bubbles. I feel that it helps my stomach (expand). ;f

4. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

A big head results in less carbonation (flat) in the beer. This may be good in preventing bloating whilst drinking mega mugs but personally I like the carbonation... The flavor is different to me.

If I pour into a mug I pour gentley down the side. If I drink from a bottle (never a can) I make sure that the pour level of the beer never exceeds the mouth of the bottle...

5. noway

noway

More importantly is NOT the size of the head but how quick it dissipate. Right now I pour a stein of Michelob Amber Bock and the little head that forms goaways very quickly. fwiw, you can't drink a head ;)

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I ain't even touching that one...;f

7. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

The Head is a sign that various gasses which are naturally dissolved inside the beer have escaped, and the effect is that the beer becomes more bitter. That's what a brewer told me, although I don't have a sophisticated enough beer palate to tell the difference.

8. Remander

Remander

I think it is just a personal preference issue.

In England, where they take such things very seriously, there is a sort of Mason-Dixson line between north and south. In the south, such as London, they pour beer with almost no head so that the pint glass is brimming full with beer. In the north, they tend to prefer a bit of head on the pint. It is also considered to indicate a quality beer if some foam sticks on the walls of the glass as you drink down the beer.

At least that's what the folks in Yorkshire told me, and it is consistent with what I have seen in the pubs over there on a few visits.

I'd love to hear from others with thoughts or knowledge on the issue. You can't ever learn enough about good beer.

9. USMC_G19

USMC_G19 Ham Salad

I feel a good head really adds to the beer. It helps open up the aroma and adds to experience. Of course this only applies to good beers. I wouldn't want a head on a bud light( or anything with light after it), but i have to have one on a Guiness.

10. Kirkcdl

Kirkcdl

Personally,(my opinion ONLY),you should use a pint glass,not a mug.Up to an inch of head on top is okay,any more is too much,you're wasting beer.I have a Kegerator which is currently holding a keg of McMenamins(Oregon Microbrewer)Seasonal Nut Brown Ale,and that's how I prefer it,FYI...

11. Sam White

Sam White I miss you bud Silver Member

How long the head lasts is called "head retention" (duh).

The foam that sticks to the sides of the glass is called "belgian lace."

If the beer retains its head for a long time and exhibits belgian lace on the sides of the glass these are signs of a well brewed beer (also one with lots of proteins in it).

The volume of the foam can be affected by the level of carbonation of the beer but can also be affected by how the beer is poured. High quality beers with high carbonation, like Bohemian and German pilsners will require more skill to dispense. Lower carbonated but still high quality ales from the UK have much less carbonation and may have very little or no head when dispensed. Obviously, pouring the beer straight into the center of the glass agitates the beer and releases carbonation and creates a "head."

I like Amber Bock, too, and consider it a decent beer. My feeling about it's (lack) of head is due to the rice/corn A-B uses to make it. These adjuncts would result in a beer with fewer proteins-just a guess.

12. wallyglock

wallyglock

hey ! dont foget the bud comercial where the oriential wisemam is trying to teach the young american guy how to pour beer. he tells him something about pouring down the middle of the glass to release the carbination and aroma...! almost goes along with some of your posts.

I to like amber bock and am still sucking some down from when I picked up a 18 pack around xmas time. heck, I even think plain old bud is a decent brew...!

has anyone tried bud select? it is smooth and leaves no after taste, just like advertisedd, to me.

amoung my other favorites is sam adams octoberfest. when we go to bloominton, in. we go to upland brewery, and their wheat ale is also amoung the excellent beers to be found.

they have a chalk board written up with 7 or 8 in house micro-brews that gives the alcahol content, gravity and other stats about their beers.

AND .....its a lot of fun when there is a good looking red head waitress wearing a tight blouse leaning over your table explaining all this info to you..! beer is fun !!