Is anyone liable for the luge tragedy?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Vic777, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Vic777

Vic777

Is anyone liable for the luge tragedy at the Olympics? Will there be lawsuits? I think there will be. Opinions?

2. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Track Designer...
    Beam Engineer...
    Sled Builder...
    The guy who invented ice...

3. hatidua

hatidua

It's Canada, let's dearly hope they aren't anywhere near as litigious as we are in the U.S.

He died, he gets buried back in Georgia.

Next.

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Sad events in sports will become much more so when they start looking for somebody to sue without negligence.

5. MidWestShooter

MidWestShooter

Why, what are you thoughts? who could possibly be blamed for it?

6. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

He was driving the sled himself when it wrecked. He knew the track and he choose to run on it. He knew the speeds involved and how dangerous the sport is. He had more than enough time to inspect the equipment and evaluate it's safety & fitness for the intended purpose.

How is it someone else's fault?

Maybe his widow should sue his mom for giving birth to him. If she hadn't, the wreck would have never happened, right?

7. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

I am sure they sign some waviers or something before they can compete not to hold the olympic people responsible....

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The dude was an Olympian athlete. He should have known what was involved. I understood that he told his dad that he was scared or something. Well, guess what? Nobody put a gun to his head and made him go out on that track again. He could have refused to go.

9. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Sometimes accidents are just that ... an accident.

10. scpd92

scpd92

My guestimate is that to participate in the Olympics you probably have to sign a ton of waivers holding harmless the IOC and the host country/venue.

11. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

He knew the risks when he went down the track. Everyone knew it was the fastest luge track ever built. Many people had wrecked during practice, it's a part of the luge. Don't like it? Then don't race at the Olympic level. The entire point of the Olympics is to push the sport to the max possible.

That being said...it was really stupid to put steel beams right after one of the toughest turns on the course but I heard that this was the first accident were someone left the "tube" that the sport had seen in a LONG LONG time. So, the beams being there weren't even thought to be an issue, even though the track was so fast because no one could remember when someone left the track during a wreck.

12. StayinTriggerHappy

StayinTriggerHappy Guest

I can see a potential lawsuit over exposed & unpadded I-beams at the top of the exit of a 90mph turn being a safety hazard...people are always looking for a scapegoat. I don't think the person who designed the track should be liable for his death but I think it would be a good idea for them to patch that little area up and cover those beams before the competition gets going to avoid more problems...

...just my 2 cents

13. Vic777

Vic777

Unless the participants had agreed that flying off the track will result in instant death, I think they have a case. whoever designed and tested the track should have realized that those steel posts were potential killers at 90 mph. They should have built the wall high enough to keep all participants on the course. I think it is obvious criminal negligence. They have since changed the start position to keep speeds down and altered a portion of the course ... too little ... too late.

14. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

No one has left the track in an accident in as long as anyone can remember. So there was no reason to suspect that anyone would leave this track.

I don't think a Biathlon shooter has ever had a ND into the crowd so they allow spectators to be around the entire course. But what would happen if they did have a ND into the crowd. Would you be holding the course designer responsible because he did not put up a bullet proof glass wall between athletes and the spectators?

Btw, did anyone see the guy last night who wrecked and got back on his sled while he was still going around 50mph and finished the track? That man has some crazy strength and balls of steel.

15. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Clearly, you've never played for the country of Georgia.

16. Vic777

Vic777

Except this track had criminal negligent design flaws .... and inadequate safety testing. There are tracks and there are tracks. This track was a killer. You saw the extent they went to at Daytona to try to fix the track.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  17. digitalmike47

digitalmike47

Good point.....

18. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

They did fix this track by changing the start position and many athletes have COMPLAINED because it makes the track too easy. No one has had a wreck at the spot this Georgian did since they changed the start position...

Also, if the track was so flawed, why was he the only one to wreck? Perhaps because he could not compete on the same level as some of the other athletes?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  19. Vic777

Vic777

Ya, but you can't sign away your human rights. And this track went beyond the pale. (pun intended)

20. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

So if i'm playing football and i break my leg, Someone else is liable for my broken leg even though i knew the risks??