close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is anyone here going to PAY for Vista?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Guod, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Guod

Guod

I am currently running vista on a "vista ready" laptop. I don't use the laptop as I bought it for an old contract, and figured I would download a vista release off bittorrent and run the 30 day trial of Ultimate to see if I wanted to buy it.

First off, the install is a breeze. It took a little while, but it requires no interaction once you get it going, which is a nice change.

After install, I noted it is much prettier than XP, but not necessarily $300-$400 worth.

After playing around with it a bit. It really seems to me like XP with a paint job. I realize that deep down, the OS has some fundamental changes, but looking at this from the perspective of the average user, I simply do not see the difference.
    It just looks like skinned XP.

The best thing to me is the handling of larger icons. For my aging eyes, this has really helped and made using windows a bit better. The scaling is much better than in XP.

That said, I will wait to buy it until I buy a new computer with it preloaded, or build one and get it at OEM cost. But even at OEM cost I may debate it.

So, if you have used Vista, what is your though on it? Even if you haven't, do you plan to upgrade to it if it costs you money?

2. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

its a hard sell for me. I am just getting used to XP pro.

I have yet to see whay I should upgrade when I buy a pc in the near future. XO pro just seems to do what I want mostly.

3. Darkmage

Darkmage

I read somewhere that Vista incorporated a lot of the Media Center Edition functionality into the OS. Can you verify this?

I already have an HTPC so I don't need Vista. But I'll probably end up paying for it at some point when I buy a new computer down the road.

4. Guod

Guod

I just loaded up WMP to check for you. I can confirm that at least in ultimate edition, WMP allows you to connect to your TV, watch DVD's, RECORD TV, Play recorded TV, look at pictures, play music, etc. It looks very much like the media center interface.

What is cool as well is that when not in use, media center becomes your wallpaper and allows you to easily jump back over to it.

5. lens

lens

I test OS and Office for Microsoft, ever since DOS 6.0 and Office 95 respectively.

Vista has a lot of glitz, handles damn near everything differently than XP does and takes a steep learning curve to "find things" (that you knew where they were in XP). In this regard, getting used to Office 2007 is 100x harder!! Vista is very hardware intense, requiring considerable upgrading to use many of the features to best advantage. Yes, Media Center was melded into it.

That said, I'll convert 1 or 2 machines over to Vista (won't run the "glass") and perhaps my notebook (bought a new HDD to try it). On Black Friday I picked up a complete Media Center computer system (Compaq Presario) for $400 with a free Vista upgrade, so I'll likely give that a go.

I see Vista as a very hard sell to anyone but gamers.

6. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

7. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

..I mean, that all the new pc's seems to want you to get the ram and cpu for vista, and upgrade to vista, and we dont even know what vista will be like or if we would want it.

does anyone know of a site that shows shots of vista even?

I almost would rather stay with XP pro at this point. Is their a good reason to switch at all?

8. malkore

malkore

I have a friend that works at Microsoft. He's gonna buy me two copies of Vista ultimate edition. one for me, one for a good buddy.

he makes enough, he doesn't care what they cost him or having me pay him back...kind of a christmas present.

but, if you wanna get sick to your stomach, retail for Vista ultimate is almost $400, and I think he might have to pay $40 a copy.

best part, they aren't a special version...its regular vista, just with a 'microsoft employee store' sticker on the box.

and, they encourage employees to buy legit licenses for friends and relatives. whatever they can do to saturate the market.

9. seaswol

seaswol NRA Life Member

at the Black Hat conference this last summer there was a seminar on how to crack Vista. Poorly attended by the teckies from around the D.C. area. Seems it has already been done and is just childs play. XP for my home use is good and 98 wasn't bad. I'll get Vista just after the follow on OS to Vista comes out.
    Chris

10. Guod

Guod

One thing I can say after using vista for about a week now. Screenshots do not do Vista justice with regard to the GUI. It will take people actually seeing it in action to make a decision if the visual enhancements entice them.

11. lens

lens

Here, you can read all about it and see screen shots:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/

12. DaHaMac

DaHaMac

I figured since Dell could sell me a computer for $50 more than I could by the parts to build it, I'd go with for it. One of the other deciding factors for buying a $600 Dell was that for $10 more I will get an upgrade to Vista.

I am interested to try Vista as I have heard bits and pieces about it, but since I am doing online classes again this spring semester it may be June before I install Vista.

13. seaswol

seaswol NRA Life Member

I would like to try Vista and will when I purchase a new laptop this summer that has the full installation without any "upgrades":rofl: Anyone remember IBM OS2, "just re-install it and the latest problem should go away":50cal: Dell has always been great with their support but quirky bugs in an OS will drive them nutty.
    Chris

14. malkore

malkore

just keep in mind that your upgrade will be to one of the lower end editions of Vista...probably Home Basic...Home Premium if you are lucky.
    For you, that might be fine, and $10 is a sweet price. For businesses buying machines, it'll screw them because they'll want Business or Ultimate edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

as for new computers, starting in Feb. many new PC's will come with Vista, not XP. I'm sure Dell will offer the option just like they did for ME vs XP days.