close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is anyone happy with their Local Gun Shop?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by raven11, Mar 2, 2010.

1. raven11

raven11

After reading about the boneheads that work at gunshops I wanted to add my .02

I bought my CZ-85 Combat today from a LGS, and it was overall pretty pleasant. I was greeted when i walked in. asked to see the CZ. was handed the weapon safety checked and locked back. pointed in a safe direction. he explained a bit about the weapon. let me put the slide forward . didn't throw a fit when i accidentally dry fired it:embarassed:.
    while running the check his trainee tried to push me towards XD's but just a polite no and we had a talk about where to get aftermarket wood grips for one.

and the best part, i saved a pretty penny because that CZ-85 Combat was marked CZ-85 adj sights with the associated price saving (don't worry guys i checked, adjustable sights, drop free mag, extended mag release)

the only part that soured me was his trade offer ($200 for a Walther P99 wtf??) so i just bought the darn thing

anyone have the same experience?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. chief

chief

they can't pay retail for a used trade in.

3. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

What local gunshop???

Three gunshops have closed near here, in the last 10 years.

There is one place left, but, the owner is such a (donkey), that I won't darken his threshold.
    He's higher than gunshops 50 miles away, so, I'll either drive the 50 miles, or, use an FFL holder that's a member of my sportsman's club.

4. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I just moved from Georgia to Wyoming.
    Georgia gun shops weren't horrible but they weren't anything to brag about.
    There's a small gun store that was pretty awesome.
    Cant remember the name of that one.

Around Blue Ridge GA they have a pretty good gun shop.
    It's not only a gun shop though, it's got other things.
    Can't remember the name of that one either.

But here in Wyoming I haven't been to one.
    Don't know where any are at yet but I'm on the lookout.
    I have been to Wally World and the guy at the counter was decent.
    The Wally World in GA was crap, the guy behind the counter couldn't tell bird shot from buck. He knew absolutely nothing at all about guns. It was sad especially cause I do know about guns and yet they wouldn't hire me, lol. Sad.:crying:

5. raven11

raven11

i take it you haven't been to the GT Firearms Listing recently

6. boomhower

boomhower

Mine is very good. Employees are helpful, not pushy, and generally well knowledge. My only gripe is ammo prices. $40 for a box of premium JHP's is a bit steep when they can be ordered online and shipped for less. Gun prices are decent but ammo is ridiculous. All of my co-workers and pretty much every other LEO I have meet in a 30 miles radius go there. That one is about 20 minutes away. I have two in town that are overpriced on everything and the owners are pretty much straight pricks.

7. HK Dan

HK Dan

Cedar Valley Outfitters in Marion Iowa. Good folks, knowledgeable, and fair in pricing.

I drive 60 miles to buy there.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

$200 for a $700 gun? You need some smilies to show you were joking.

9. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Can't really say. I don't have a local gun shop that sells anything other than cheap plastic. :)

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

I like my local gunshops, esp DJ's in Bothell. Excellent service, family owned...good people.

11. Y-NotG23

Y-NotG23

I think you may be thinking about the Bargain Barn in Jasper, GA.
    Perhaps not.

Pertaining to the OP's question, yes, I'm happy with my not so local gun shop.
    It's about 40 miles away. They have a range and several old timers there with a few younger guys who are pretty knowledgeable but do not have an ego that prevents them from deferring to someone else that knows.

Every gun I've bought from them came with a full lesson about the gun.
    How to field strip, detail strip, things to look out for, etc... They've spent a number of hours with me making sure that I know all that I need to know and then some. While the prices are somewhat higher than other shops, the difference in price is well worth it for the service I've gotten.

The range is pretty clean and well taken care of. More times than not, they do not even charge me for the targets that I use.
    They'll jump your *** if there's any sort of safety violation. They'll also make sure that you understand why it was a issue as well as how to do it right. That's okay with me. They are not asshats in anyway. Just safe. And there is nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand, all the shops that I would call local, are dumps with complete aholes behind the counters. Some have real decent prices but I deal with enough buttheads all day and I'd rather spend my $$ in at a place that I feel wants my business.

12. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

Cook's Guns in Biloxi Mississippi is pretty good. I don't buy ammo from them due to markup but they have fair firearm prices & aren't jackholes.

13. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have bought quite a few guns for cash from Gunstop, MN and I would recommend them to anyone. Never did a trade-in.

14. chief

chief

open a store, pay retail value for trade ins, and see how long you stay in business.

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

+1

Our "Local" gunshop went out of business a few years a go. It was a great place and wasn't short of business. It's basically left up to Scheels in town, and Cabelas and a few local gun shops 50 miles away. Seems this is coincidential and mysteriously coinciding with the shortage of ammo...Hmmmm.

I blame Obama.

16. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

Local? Not really. There is a big box store, Academy, college town so you have students working most of the time who are more worried with what party to attend than helping customers. The other option is a Bass Pro wanna be. They are ok, not great, big selection but way high on prices of everything. Up the road one hour and you have gun shop heaven as well as gun shop hell. There is a new place that is outstanding in selection and service. There is an older establishment who has the lowest tax as well as price usually, but you catch the wrong worker and you leave pissed. My favorite is a mom and pop sporting goods store in the ghetto. They have been around forever(used to not be the ghetto) and have good prices and great service. All the other places must be clones of what people complain about on here. One is the "rich" people sporting good store in the rich part of B'ham. One the guys working there have their heads up their butts most of the time. I am sorry for the long post, but this is one of those subjects I can talk about for hours, and not just gun shops. I hate getting crappy service and I hate being able to tell someone more about their products then they can tell me.

17. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Very happy here. We've got a very nice shop downtown. Good folks. Good prices. Done business with them for years. Maybe that's why I don't understand all of the "stupid gunshop" stories posted here. I stop a few times a week "just to see if anything interesting's come in". It's paid off nicely several times.

We've got two big box stores out by the interstate. One of them is pretty good. I'm not as big a fan of the other.

18. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

In S. Dakota hell ya...the one I deal with is great...the other I went to had no people skills hence the reason why they probably shut down a yr or 2 ago...In Korea, not so much...blow guns and airsoft dont go boom enough for me

19. boozer

boozer

I've bought most of my firearms from Vance's, sales people are polite for the most part. Decent prices if you watch their sales. Ammo has been reasonable, at least they had some when I needed it, hey, a couple bucks over Wally prices in the recent madness.

They get police trade-ins often, I have gotten a couple of good deals previously, not so much right now. Got what I consider a really good deal on a DPMS LR 308B in January.

If you live near central OH. they beat Gander Mountain and Dicks, and beat a lot of internet prices, too.

Lately the place has been packed, you have to take a number and wait. Oh well, it's fun to hang around the gunstore.

20. raven11

raven11

the soju and the women make up for that :whistling: