Is anyone else terrified of the dentist?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Boo Berry, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Absolute terror! Marathon Man visions.

marathon man.jpg

ROGER4314, 686 AR15 G17Fan and tuica like this.
  2. fx77

fx77 CLM

Hit a raw nerve here!
    I was required to see my uncle as a child He was the family dentist. He drilled teeth with drills driven by electric motors , belts and pulleys. He never used Novocaine.
    It was agony.
    One day in 11th grade one of my classmates told me his face felt funny from the dentist visit. Why I asked
    He said they give you this medicine to numb the area and allow painless drilling.
    Thus now I have dental phobia. For cleaning I require cetacaine topical and Nitrous....Just anticipating the visit causes PTSD symptoms. Just smelling the office nauseates me....so you ask am I afraid of the dentist...Terrified.

Boo Berry likes this.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

i haven't been to a dentist in 20 years, i haven'y had any issues in 20 years. prior to that, overtime i sat down they found something to drill. i decided if they were drilling when i had no symptoms, they were scamming me. i floss couple times a day and brush 2-3 times and they are not seeing me until i need to.

glock1097 likes this.
  4. tuica

tuica

Three areas of your body that you want to keep in great shape are: yer eyes; yer teeth; and yer wiener.

5. Sharkey

Sharkey

Well I would pleasantly surprised if my cut Asian female hygienist gave me a happy ending.
    I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry wakes up from the gas and his shirt is out.

686 AR15 G17Fan likes this.
  6. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

A LITTLE discomfort ? Man Up ? You couldn't be more wrong !

You should thank God that's all it is to you. I was cursed with bad teeth from the get go, even had 6 teeth pulled when I was 6. My adult teeth I had a condition where the enamel deteriorated near the gum line which led to many fillings, a couple root canals, and incredible PAIN when touched.

I don't know if it was an option or not, and was never offered, but I should have been sedated for cleanings. As for novocain, more than once I was told "I've done everything I can but I'll be as gentle as possible". I can assure you it was NOT a LITTLE discomfort !

I've had broken bones and 3'rd degree burns on my stomach but they were nothing compared to the pain I endured from dental problems.

You are fortunate and I hope you never fully understand the pain dental issues can bring. However, you could have a little more compassion for those not as blessed as you.

glock1097 and tuica like this.
  7. peng

peng

OMG you guys, dentists stopped using Novocain like 30 years ago.

No reason for pain at the dentist these days, only by choice.

When I was a kid we did not get numbed for fillings due to cost so I consider the dentist a treat these days. Try it once without, and see how much you complain after that.

Root canals are a breeze, got one coming up next month.

The oddest thing about dentists is how bad the insurance is and how little it covers. I guess no one thinks it is a medical procedure though it clearly is.

30 years ago dental insurance covered about $1,000-$2,000 of cost. Today it is about the same. No other insurance is like this, so static in nature.

Dentists get no respect until you need one, then you never hear the end of it.

glock1097 likes this.
  8. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Sorry BUT you couldn't be more wrong !

9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I'll tell you about discomfort. After years of avoiding going to the dentist, I had to have all my teeth PULLED and have dentures made at a dental college (OHSU) in Oregon back in 2004. and they offered me a discount if I'd let them do 4 root canals on my last remaining teeth so they could experiment with a new method of doing that procedure.

By the time they were done the Novocain was wearing off so they gave me a prescription for pain pills at a local pharmacy which was about ten miles away in heavy traffic.

I stood in line for a long time at the pharm before I could get my prescription and then when I got it I tore open the bottle and washed down about 4 pills right there in the store with whatever beverage was handy and then it took a half an hour for the drugs to kick in and that was more than a little discomfort, so I know what pain is, and you don't have to tell me.

But with the right drugs, properly and timely administered, there is no reason to have to deal with any pain.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    glock1097, tuica and Railsplitter like this.
  10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This. My wife is Scot redhead and she needs lots of Novocaine for the most simple of procedures. For example, she once woke up during ACL surgery, and that my friends, was an ugly experience since she kicked the orthopedic right in the nads from the table. HH

glock1097 and 686 AR15 G17Fan like this.
  11. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

My grandmother told me when she was a child their only dentist was a guy who came around on horse and buggy about every three months. Not sure if he had anything for pain. I remember that when I go to a dentist and count myself lucky.

686 AR15 G17Fan likes this.
  12. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

So you're agreeing with me

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

I go tomorrow too for the same thing

glock1097 likes this.
  14. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    This happened to my friend after she lied to the anesthesiologist about her weight.

glock1097 likes this.
  15. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

annnd the N 2O will make you go fast

16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

No I'm disagreeing that it's necessary to experience that kind of pain if you make sure that they give you the right drugs in a timely manner.

I had an amputation of the front half of my foot in 1999 and they gave me a general anesthetic and told me to count backwards from 100. I got to about 97 and I was off to dreamland and never felt a thing when the sawbones cut my foot in half.

Afterwards it was time release morphine for a few days and after that it was percoset and after that there was no pain.

17. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Getting the "right kind of drugs" is not so easy in today's world of "opioids are bad".

I think we're in agreement though, just difficult to express sometimes

glock1097 likes this.
  18. Resqu2

Resqu2

I told mine that I though they were CIA trained, they could make anyone tell all their secrets.

glock1097 likes this.
  19. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Not at all. I trust my Dentist. He is the son, I went to his father before he retired. I go for cleaning every six months. I am thinking this costs 90 bucks. We are in south Texas, my wife just had her teeth cleaned in Mexico by a reputable dentist at a border town. 30 bucks, about an hours work. She hadn't had a cleaning in quite a while. She did good.

20. RovinOn

RovinOn

I wish I had the dental care we have now back when I was a kid/ teenager, if I did I’d have all my teeth today!
    Today’s dentistry is phenomenal compared to the days of belt driven drills and laughing gas!
    I never worry about seeing the dentist anymore except for seeing the bill!

glock1097 and 686 AR15 G17Fan like this.