Is ammo / primer drought getting worse?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by slackercruster, Sep 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. slackercruster

slackercruster

Born L.A. - NYC 2nd Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
    I'm thinking it is getting worse. What do you think?

2. DonD

DonD

It sure isn't getting better. Will get much better if Trump is reelected. Shortages will quickly go away. Don

3. Paintshirtred

Paintshirtred

Look in feed stores in rural and urban areas that sell ammo. Found 2 boxes of 9 14 bucks a box and primers.

TheDreadnought likes this.
  4. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

There is a thread on this forum that claims that just ONE independent ammunition manufacturer is backordered $80.1 MILLION dollars from jobbers and gun stores. They are running 24/7 to try and get caught up. If components were to magically appear, those backorders would still require a crap-ton of time to fill.

TheDreadnought likes this.
  5. Taterhead

Taterhead

Deleted.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  6. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I can’t help but to believe that part of the problem is the JIT, or Just in time management.

It’s a method that makes only enough product to meet expected demand in order to reduce on hand inventory of both raw materials and finished product.

It started coming on big back in the 1990’s, and I’ve never been a fan for this very reason.

It’s not only guns and ammo, but also paper goods, lumber, and even plexiglass.

triggerjerk and StarvinMarvin like this.
  7. Pete Perfection

Pete Perfection Previously Pete perfection

It’s only going to get worse. This is the new norm.

8. grumpy1

grumpy1

Getting worse around here. My LGS is high volume and in old normal days would have several pallets in ammo section of 9MM, 40, 45, 5.56, 22LR, etc. These days popular pistol ammo is only at range counter for range use (range traffic is way down too) and new firearm purchase. They do have some 22LR out for sale but a fraction of what they used to and most at much higher prices. I don't see it getting better for quite a while yet and a lot depends on election results.

9. -JCN-

-JCN-

There are a LOT of new firearm owners out there.

jr24 likes this.
  10. knoxville36

knoxville36

I told everyone I know this would last well into next summer of July 2021. They thought I was insane! Now they see the light. I know it is an election year, but there are a lot more influences this time around. I think it will be 8 to 10 months before it gets better and that is assuming trump gets elected....

10or45, gamecocks and 45caldan like this.
  11. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

We will have an election in November then Pelosi and the Lib House of Representatives will try to steal the election. In January a president will take office. I'm planning for the worst hoping for the best. I'm not sure things will ever be normal again even if Trump is reelected.

10or45 and 45caldan like this.
  12. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

In this area, stores that stock up ammo get visited first thing in the morning by people who buy all the stock and put it online the same day at inflated prices.

Hope that people smell the rat and stop feeding these scalpers, only way situation will normalize some time in the future.

NewWaveGuy and Cambo like this.
  13. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Problem is they only have the one or two boxes of ammo that they bought with their new gun. The new gun owners, rioters and BLM crowd etc. may be armed but I suspect their ammo supply is very shallow.

billy_56081 and 10or45 like this.
  14. slackercruster

slackercruster

Born L.A. - NYC 2nd Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
    What sponsored this thread was a recent trip to Cabela's in WV. I usually stop there for a look-see break off of I-70 while driving from PA to OH. It was the worst ammo / primer supply I've seen since the pandemic / BLM riots started.

They usually have various rifle and shotgun primers. I have never have seen pistol primers there in months. This trip they only had 3 boxes of .50cal BMG primers. Price of .50 primers was $55 per box of 100 primers.

Pistol ammo was nil. They had a few boxes of .32 S&W Long and a few boxes of .460 Mag. Zero .22, zero anything else for pistol.

Even sporting rifle ammo that was usually somewhat stocked was sparse. And it looked like the prices for it had gone up a lot. But I can't swear to it as I only give it a cursory look when there. Personally, I'm only interested in 5.56 and 7.62 of which they have had nil for months.

15. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Spot report from Central Texas this morning. Local Academy Sporting Goods receives ammo shipments on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Tuesday, basically ALL they received was 30 x 20round boxes of Federal HST 9mm and some 300 BLK. Today, store opens at 9. I got there at 8 and line was already about a block long (with social distancing). They received a fairly substantial shipment of 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62x39 with a little .380 and .40. The purchase limit was 3 boxes each of 9mm, .380, 7.62 x 39 and 5.56. That limit was on 20, 25, 50, 100, 150, and 200 round boxes. 500 round boxes were limited to 1. By the time I got to the head of the line, .380 was gone, but they still had 50 round boxes WWB 9mm, Aquila 9mm, 25 round boxes of Hornady Critical Duty and 500 round boxes of 5.56 (WWB) and 7.62x39 (Wolf). Think they had enough of the range 9mm to give everyone in line their 3 boxes. They also had about 10 or 12 of the 500 round boxes of 5.56 and 7.62x39 left. The biggest thing I did notice was that since last week, the Aquila Range 9mm has gone from $12.99 a box to $14,99 a box. Ammo keeps coming in every week, nut goes fast. By the way, they nor my on-line source have had SPP or SRP in months.

16. Rocks

Rocks

45 cal for sale at Precision One but the price keeps going up $1 at a time. $18.99 to $25.99.

17. Nick B

Nick B

Sounds like those people need to get out and get a real job.

triggerjerk likes this.
  18. collim1

collim1

I am waiting on some primers to come in stock at the usual places.

Problem is they are not getting more than one size in stock at a time and it’s not cost effective to order a small quantity and pay the hazmat shipping.

19. norton

norton

I stopped at a local Feed store (Stock and Field) today to see if they had any reloading inventory. About 6 weeks ago I was able to score about 2800 small pistol primers (Federal) from that store with no limit. Today they had zero primers a couple of containers of Trail Boss Powder and about 3 one pound cans of IMR Red.
    On the plus side I did see a 5 cu.ft. mini freezer on display at the store These things have been impossible to find since the Rona hit. I bought it for my son. It was the last one they had left.

20. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

Not to be an A.H., but what good are primer without bullets to place on top of them? The entire system seem out of kilter, not just one component. I've searched Midway and others since March for 55 gr FMJBT to no avail.