close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is a lighter spring the ticket?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Phases, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Phases

Phases

We have a Glock 27 that we got because it was one of the couple pistols that fit in my wife's hand, and we like Glock.

Well, that .40 has a real jump to it which neither or us like but we could shoot ok.

So, we decided to get a 9mm barrel from LW and a mag extender for the 9mm mag to see if that would help control, and boy did it. It feels MUCH nicer to shoot.

The problem? Every round was either FTE or FTC for her. Was fine for me. We got a trainer over and asked for grip tips and he spend a half hour or so with her getting her stance and grip and everything right and by the end she was shooting really well, hitting within a few inches of the x (3 yards), holding strong, but still FTE or FTC. Trainer shot and it was fine.

By the end ONE round shot and chambered well for her, then the last ejected BUT the slide didn't lock open.. It was out of rounds.

This tells me it's not traveling all the way back for whatever reason. The trainer and I aren't sure what else to tell her, she was trying real hard, and as far as he could see had a great stance and grip. He appeared really knowledgable and experienced to me..

Is practice the key, or is a slightly lighter spring the ticket? In a real world situation where she might need it I'm not sure I foresee a super proper and strong grip and stance and focus getting put in place before she fired something off, but I darn sure want the next round to load.

Thoughts? Can I even get lighter springs for factory rod or would I need aftermarket?

Thanks for any insight..

Edit.. Meant to mention, we didn't return for a 26 because I wanted the .40 option. Still do, but I'm not completely opposed either..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. uaengineer

uaengineer

1. Limp wristing
    2. Put the original barrel back in and trade it for a 26.
    3. Sell LW barrel.
    4. Use money from LW barrel to buy ammo for practice with 26.

3. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

This.

4. Phases

Phases

I understand the spring and slide are the same for the 26 and 27... Would we not be in the same position? ..or is there more to it? I'd hate to take the loss doing that to no benefit..

5. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

6. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Is a lighter spring the ticket?

Nope, you need a new heavier wife.

That is the only fix.

And this time make shooting-the-Glock a part of the test. :animlol:

Tell your wife the auditions for the new wife start this weekend.
    She won't be limp-wristing anymore.

7. Phases

Phases

Alright so here's what I did: I asked here for advice then said screw it and did what I wanted anyway. :p

I ordered a stainless steel 14lb spring (factory is 16lb) - and here is why:

1. It can help with limp wristing. We're using a 9mm round and she's doing pretty darn good yet still having trouble. Suppose, in her case, it may really just help. Though I do agree treating the problem not the symptom is the better solution so naturally we will practice practice practice.

2. She has a hard time cycling the slide or locking it back on her own anyway. The 11 or 12 percent reduction in poundage might help with that.

3. The added weight of the rod and added quickness of the slide can help with the perceived recoil, though current is manageable. Seeings how we have gone down to a 9mm round for her on this, I'm hoping 14lb spring won't be hard on the pistol.

4. It will look nice with the stainless LW barrel, though I don't really care about that.

5. It's only 50 bucks, if it's a failed experiment, so be it. What's 50 bucks at this point.

I'll use the stock for myself when shooting the .40 with the stock barrel, and.. if this works, the SS with the LW 9mm when she shoots it.

ipscshooter: Yes the trainer was great. He had her hunched and leaning so far forward I thought she was going to fall forward. They tried slightly bent elbows at first but in the end it worked out better with her elbows locked. She mentioned being double jointed to him and maybe that had something to do with it. She said she'd call it "straight" rather than "locked"

bustedknee: No thanks :p

I'll report back and let everyone (and maybe future readers with the same issue) know how it goes. :)

Thanks all!

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

You are more confident than I would be but I hope your current plan works. Best of luck.

9. Phases

Phases

Thank ya, me too. If not, shrug, not the end of the world. I'll shoot it first, a mag or two, then hand it over if things seem good and we'll see how she does!

Only thing I don't like? The site didn't (unless I missed it) tell whether it was in stock or not. Hope so....

10. G23G21

G23G21

IF you decide to sell the LW barrel, let me know, I'm interested.

11. OVERTHEHILLGUY

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Ya know what I would do..... trade that G27 in for a G19, she will be happy . A slightly larger gun will make a world of differance. place a strip of skate board tape on each side of the pistol, this will make racking the slide much easyer. Now, you and her can enjoy years of shooting fun.

12. bentbiker

bentbiker

Did she try shooting a hotter round? I'm betting almost any 147gr cartridge would help.

Did she try shooting the G19? The lightweight subcompacts have the most flip and are the hardest to control. I'll bet a 147gr in the G19 or G17 would eliminate her problem.

Edit: While I was reading the whole thread and responding, OVERTHEHILLGUY beat me to the punch on the G19 recommendation.

13. Phases

Phases

Will do! That's still a possibility.

Well, we'd like to keep the 27 because it's the perfect size to carry when we are out, and she likes the feel of it.

We were shooting whatever they gave us as practice rounds. (Edit: just checked: 147gr. I have 115gr too that we didn't try.)

I don't really understand the grain thing though. I got the basics, I think.. It's the weight of the bullet itself, yes? So, higher grain would be a slower round?

As said just above though, we'd like to make the 27 work if we can. It's perfect for carry while we are out.

We do have a G30 also, which she can shoot with no problems, and does like.. even though it doesn't fit her hand very well..

:)

14. gdlzzz

gdlzzz

This is a great conversation. Just went through the same thing with my wife and my G26 Gen 4 yesterday. Several FTE and slide issues. I don't think she had a good grip on it. Also, she had problems with the aggresive tecture of the gen 4.

We then shot my G22 Gen 3 and she did quite well.

15. G23G21

G23G21

Phases, bullet weight does change things. The heavier the bullet the greater the recoil. Try the 9MM 115s, the recoil SHOULD be lighter. HTH

16. Phases

Phases

Well except that the slide isn't even going all the way back, so that would hurt this particular issue, ya?

17. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

Aren't you supposed to change the ejector when doing this? Due to the smaller diameter brass, that would probably eliminate the FTEs. Linpwristing for the FTC.

18. ProCarryNAustin

ProCarryNAustin

I would not use a heavily modified Glock for self-defense.

19. Phases

Phases

I'd seen this question posed before ordering the barrel and after looking into to it came to the conclusion of "no", the barrel ...intake?.. Is so very slightly angled to address it. My local Glock shops said no too..

Ejects good for me.

It will be stock when carried but 9mm when home if we can sort it and shoot 100 or so rounds problem free. Otherwise back to stock. We'd both likely grab the 30 at home if needed anyway, if both were options.

I see conflicting opinions on this. I say if it proves to fire well and it is much better handled modified, modified for defense is preferred. We'll see though!

20. Bald Baron

Bald Baron Hermit

I found that an 18 lb. recoil spring with the .40 cal ammo tames the snap in a G27. Just one more option for you to consider.